Ground Hog/ Wood Chuck Problem

bmattioli

Forum Supporter
Anyone have any tips on getting these guys off my property digging holes near my house. Any help is appreciated but I think most will say to trap in a Save a heart trap..

Many thanks..
Bruce

‘Hogs getting in my dad’s garden. He and his .22 are not effective.

I set a 220 Conibear in front of the den entrance. 100% effective, have caught a half dozen whistle pigs. Big to small, one month’s time. Keep in mind these humane body grips do not discriminate when dealing with all animals.

Have-a-hart traps seem like the solution, but not in this case, hard to bait a pig in. Besides, what are you going to do with a live ‘hog, let it loose to be someone else’s problem?

Good luck. Those varmits are destructive. Several years back we got them tunneling in one of our barns. Dad and I killed 13 in one summer. A .22 mag makes short work of them. But ya gotta be pretty stealthy to sneak up on them. There are faster than you would think

I've got a Jack Russell Terrorist that will take on any critter that gets in the backyard. Last week she had a trash panda bigger than her cornered. I was going to break it up, but I couldn't decide which one would be safer to grab.

you can try mothballs, pepper spray can help. filling in the holes or blocking them with wire, just generally harassing them might move them to the neighbors. Grandpa used to dump dirty motor oil down the holes. I'm not sure if that was to get rid of groundhogs or oil

Live cage trap with fresh ears of corn inside for bait.
May take a few trappings to get rid of all.

After trapping take away a few miles near a cornfield and release.
Should stay there and eat and not come back.

Some fresh sweet corn from grocery store should be instant magnet.
They don’t stir at night generally.

I've got a Jack Russell Terrorist that will take on any critter that gets in the backyard. Last week she had a trash panda bigger than her cornered. I was going to break it up, but I couldn't decide which one would be safer to grab.

you can try mothballs, pepper spray can help. filling in the holes or blocking them with wire, just generally harassing them might move them to the neighbors. Grandpa used to dump dirty motor oil down the holes. I'm not sure if that was to get rid of groundhogs or oil

Loved your post! By Gosh we could be Brothers! :laughing:

Hey OP, You might just want to keep those hogs around...You never know when you might need one someday.....they do come in handy...Just leave them alone for the Summer, they go dormant in the Winter...NBD...

My late Uncle David had a problem with a groundhog going after his vegetable garden. One day he happened to see him while he had his shotgun, and let him have it with some 00 buckshot (yes, kind of overkill). He got him, but the bad news was he also sent one of those 00 pellets into a stack of storm windows he had leaning against the shed. It went through every single one. :(

Since you didn't want to (or couldn't, I don't know your situation) go the firearm route, I would try putting something like pepper spray, mothballs or something like that down the hole. If you are going to humanely trap, be sure to check the trap often to keep it from roasting in the hot sun.

-- Tom

Try some animal traps. We used them to catch some stray cats on the property and also caught raccoons, opossums, a fox.

i dunno but the young adults are supposed to be very tasty when breaded and fried up like chicken.....ever make a spring snare?

i dunno but the young adults are supposed to be very tasty when breaded and fried up like chicken.....ever make a spring snare?

Yeah!..the thing about 'chucks?.....They are so easy to snare or trap or procure with various methods, succulent and simple!! Wonderful hide for making moccs out of..the perfect NA survival animal!

A guy has to keep a few of them around for emergencies...or else its nothing but bunnies and squirrels...a guy cant make a decent set of moccs out of bunnies and squirrels...So I'd leave the chucks alone , encourage them to stay under my shed, keep out the skunks and coons and etc...until I need one of them...ever eat a skunk or a coon? Given the options, A guy will thank the Lord for a nice fat chuck...

Are you looking to just kill them and can not use a gun? Back your car up near a hole and connect a piece of metal pipe to your car exhaust and jam it down the hole and seal the hole with a shovel or two of dirt around the pipe.

Thanks or all the help and suggestions.. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow and getting a
Have-a-Heart trap. Tried a few suggestions but damn rodent just dug another hole next to it. I would not even care but it's on the front foundation of my house and I don't want any problems down the road..

I'll be updating my progress..

Back
Top Bottom