the Roomplace rant

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So we bought some furniture, and against my better judgment bought their extended warranty. They claim that it's a "no use, no lose" warranty. I read the postcard we're supposed to (told verbally) send in within 90 days of purchase....and noticed something interesting. Anyone else see it?

If you do not use any portion of your warranty during the 5 year coverage period, The RoomPlace will issue you 100% of your furniture protection plan price in the form of an in-store credit, valid for a period of 6 (six) months from date of issuance towards your next furniture purchase of $999 or more. To qualify, complete the following information and mail this postcard within 90 days after your warranty expiration date. Postcards that do not include the order number and are not received within 90 days prior to the expiration date of the warranty do not qualify. Your requests will be processed and you will receive notification via e-mail within 30 days of the postmarked date. Postcards received prior to the expiration date of the warranty will not qualify.

Well, it looks like they told you to send the card in immediately which would void any chance you would have had to get your money back in the future.
Either the person that told you to do that didn't have a clue, understand the warranty or worse, was trained to do this and knew full well if the ramifications...and didn't care.
Also the card itself was confusing because it tells you to send the card in before the expiration date AND it also tells you to send it in after the expiration date.
Shady way of running a business but it happens more than you probably think.

I will make a prediction...in 5 years even if you are well within your rights and figure out exactly how to get back this store credit even if you figure out how to do it correctly it won't matter because they will find another reason to screw you.
This extended warranty from this company seems to be a total rippoff designed to make more money without selling any extra products.
It's all words in the air, confusing words at that.

Also companies that rippoff their customers so obviously usually don't have a huge track record of staying around more than a few years.
It is usually a hit it and get out sort of thing so if they do eventually get so much flak and bad press they decide they are done you are screwed anyway.

Sorry, extended warranties can sometimes be something you should avoid.

Well, it looks like they told you to send the card in immediately which would void any chance you would have had to get your money back in the future.
Either the person that told you to do that didn't have a clue, understand the warranty or worse, was trained to do this and knew full well if the ramifications...and didn't care.
Also the card itself was confusing because it tells you to send the card in before the expiration date AND it also tells you to send it in after the expiration date.
Shady way of running a business but it happens more than you probably think.

I will make a prediction...in 5 years even if you are well within your rights and figure out exactly how to get back this store credit even if you figure out how to do it correctly it won't matter because they will find another reason to screw you.
This extended warranty from this company seems to be a total rippoff designed to make more money without selling any extra products.
It's all words in the air, confusing words at that.

My thoughts exactly. I love how they say to send it in within 90 days prior to the warranty expiration, AND says that anything received prior to the warranty expiration is invalid.

I'll be heading to the store next week to discuss it, and get some clarification in writing....or a refund, that would be fine too

My thoughts exactly. I love how they say to send it in within 90 days prior to the warranty expiration, AND says that anything received prior to the warranty expiration is invalid.

I'll be heading to the store next week to discuss it, and get some clarification in writing....or a refund, that would be fine too

Good luck.

Always a great idea of doing your research before spending any money at any store, especially furniture money which can be substantial.
I googled this company and in one second this popped up...
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/the_room_place.html

This is one of the reviews...

Tamara of Houston, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: April 9, 2018
DO NOT GET THE No Use. No Lose. Warranty. IT IS A SCAM. The store clerk told me I would be getting my money back if I do not use the services within 5 years. However you have 90 days to mail in a postcard they DID NOT give me and also you DO NOT get your money back. I looked up the warranty and you get a store credit. Now they refused to refund my money because it’s been more than 5 years and I did not mail in the post card. Even if I would have done this I wouldn’t have gotten my money back. Only store credit. SUCH A SCAM. NEVER doing business with them again. I spent well over $9,000 at this store and they can’t honor their word. DISGUSTING!! Thanks ** at 1235 E. Gold Road Schaumburg, IL.

Here is the reviews and complaints of the Schaumburg store on the BBB site.
https://www.bbb.org/us/il/romeoville/profile/furniture-stores/the-roomplace-0654-28489

This appears to be one of those total rippoff companies in it just for the money and with no thought of long term customer service so chances are you are not the first customer to get mad about this and they will be ready for you.
They seem to have been around a long time, too, so they have lots of experience screwing people over.
Unless you make yourself such a pest that it would bother them and decide refunding you would cause less hassle for them in the long run to just refund you and get you out of their hair...they won't.
Most of the time nothing you could do will bother them because they just don't care...their business model is designed to do it this way.
This appears to be one of those companies that have figured out how to rippoff their customers in many different says and they use them all.

Hope I'm wrong but I do have almost 30 years experience in retail and have seen some things.
Companies like this depend on people not looking at them very closely before they buy because most just dont.
Even in this day and age where all this information is easily accessible online only a small percentage take advantage of it so businesses like this can stay up and running for many years.

Last edited:
Personally after reading the other posts I would go to that store and tell them you changed your mind about the extended warranty and want your money back or you will not shop there ever again, ask to speak to a manager if you have to.

I was going to say threaten to return the furniture for a refund if they don't but I checked their web site and they don't give full refunds just store credit.

https://www.theroomplace.com/info-and-policies

After looking at their policies at the above link I would never want to shop there as it looks like once you buy and get delivery you are stuck :shock:

Personally after reading the other posts I would go to that store and tell them you changed your mind about the extended warranty and want your money back or you will not shop there ever again, ask to speak to a manager if you have to.

Even though when it comes to a good company that cherishes and respects their customers and builds their business on good will and word of mouth this kind of thing would be effective....this ain't that kind of company.

Threatening not to shop there is absolutely no threat to them, any manager you actually would get to talk to knows all their policies and is all in on the games and cons so absolutely no help there.
Threaten them with lawyers and that won't help either, they have lawyers too but besides that they designed their sales tactics and policies to take as much money as they can from you while using the least effort possible taking care of you after they get your money.
They might be bad people to trust or do business with but they walk the line and don't cross over to doing anything illegal.
Unethical, maybe, illegal...no.

I am sure they have a healthy advertising budget so after they screw one customer over any threats they get back about not shopping there anymore or even spreading the bad word about them will be ignored...the ads they run will bring in plenty more people they can go after that will never hear about any of it.
Refunding any money back after they get their hands on it for any reason would be a sin to these people.
Complaints to them would be just something the employees would talk and laugh about in the break room.

Even though when it comes to a good company that cherishes and respects their customers and builds their business on good will and word of mouth this kind of thing would be effective....this ain't that kind of company.

Threatening not to shop there is absolutely no threat to them, any manager you actually would get to talk to knows all their policies and is all in on the games and cons so absolutely no help there.
Threaten them with lawyers and that won't help either, they have lawyers too but besides that they designed their sales tactics and policies to take as much money as they can from you while using the least effort possible taking care of you after they get your money.
They might be bad people to trust or do business with but they walk the line and don't cross over to doing anything illegal.
Unethical, maybe, illegal...no.

I am sure they have a healthy advertising budget so after they screw one customer over any threats they get back about not shopping there anymore or even spreading the bad word about them will be ignored...the ads they run will bring in plenty more people they can go after that will never hear about any of it.
Refunding any money back after they get their hands on it for any reason would be a sin to these people.
Complaints to them would be just something the employees would talk and laugh about in the break room.

That's sad, but at least the forum members who read this will know to watch out for such companies in the future.

That's sad, but at least the forum members who read this will know to watch out for such companies in the future.

Yea, that is the only reason I wrote all this, also not to deflate the OP but to save him some frustration when he goes back and talks to them.
He should still probably try but just not have high expectations or keep his hopes up.

In sales there is a percentage of people out there we call being an "Informed Consumer".
Sadly, there is a much larger percentage of people out there that just believe hype put out by stores, all advertising, sales people, everything they read on the outside of boxes or don't compare the features and benefits of more than one brand of a similar product, they just don't ever think doing research about any of it.
Or understand that the term "You get what you pay for", is usually true.
Those are not informed consumers.
If you are lucky and are dealing with an honest company that truly does treat people the way they should, the way they themselves would like to be treated, you are a little more protected without knowing all that much.
Dealing with predatory companies like this one, however, is a whole different experience.

Last edited:
Yea, that is the only reason I wrote all this, also not to deflate the OP but to save him some frustration when he goes back and talks to them.
He should still probably try but just not have high expectations or keep his hopes up.

In sales there is a percentage of people out there we call being an "Informed Consumer".
Sadly, there is a much larger percentage of people out there that just believe hype put out by stores, all advertising, sales people, everything they read on the outside of boxes or compare the features and benefits of more than one brand of a similar product without ever doing research about any of it.
Or understand the term "You get what you pay for", is usually true.
Those are not informed consumers.
If you are lucky and are dealing with an honest company that truly does treat people the way they should, the way they themselves would like to be treated, you are a little more protected without knowing all that much.
Dealing with predatory companies like this one, however, is a whole different experience.

I understand, and hopefully the OP will be a rare exception with that company and get his extended warranty money back.

I got in the habit long ago of researching customer reviews on products before buying, Amazon is one place to check reviews even if you buy it elsewhere or at a local store. You can even check reviews on the sellers themselves.

I recently had to order a smartphone battery for my wife's phone and ordered it from a 3rd party seller who was selling thru Amazon and paid for expedited delivery as my wife was without a phone till we got that battery.

I was watching the tracking to see how soon it would arrive and noticed there was no movement for days after being picked up by the post office.

I thought maybe a scan was missed but contacted the seller anyhow just to make them aware and they replied they noticed the same thing and without me even asking they refunded the full amount we paid including shipping.

I found another place that could get one to us fast as the other company was temporarily out of stock.

Then the first battery showed up about a week late (and 2 days after the 2nd one we ordered arrived) so I contacted the company and explained it finally arrived after we thought it was lost/stolen in the mail but we no longer needed it and if they wanted to send a label to return it we would, but they said just keep it for free for our trouble ! So there are some decent companies out there ! We've dealt with other companies in the past as nice also.

I understand, and hopefully the OP will be a rare exception with that company and get his extended warranty money back.

I got in the habit long ago of researching customer reviews on products before buying, Amazon is one place to check reviews even if you buy it elsewhere or at a local store. You can even check reviews on the sellers themselves.

I recently had to order a smartphone battery for my wife's phone and ordered it from a 3rd party seller who was selling thru Amazon and paid for expedited delivery as my wife was without a phone till we got that battery.

I was watching the tracking to see how soon it would arrive and noticed there was no movement for days after being picked up by the post office.

I thought maybe a scan was missed but contacted the seller anyhow just to make them aware and they replied they noticed the same thing and without me even asking they refunded the full amount we paid including shipping.

I found another place that could get one to us fast as the other company was temporarily out of stock.

Then the first battery showed up about a week late (and 2 days after the 2nd one we ordered arrived) so I contacted the company and explained it finally arrived after we thought it was lost/stolen in the mail but we no longer needed it and if they wanted to send a label to return it we would, but they said just keep it for free for our trouble ! So there are some decent companies out there ! We've dealt with other companies in the past as nice also.

There are plenty of great companies out there both brick and mortar retailers and online.
The problem is there is also a bunch of bad companies out there too and some have been around a long time so people blindly trust them.
Sometimes it isn't all that easy to tell them apart with limited knowledge and information.
Fake glowing reviews posted by company shills have been an issue online for a few companies for awhile now, also.
Just use a little common sense out there before letting go of your hard earned, or dug up, money.

Last edited:
There are plenty of great companies out there both brick and mortar retailers and online.
The problem is there is also a bunch of bad companies out there too and some have been around a long time so people blindly trust them.
Sometimes it isn't all that easy to tell them apart with limited knowledge and information.
Fake glowing reviews posted by company shills have been an issue online for a few companies for awhile now, also.
Just use a little common sense out there before letting go of your hard earned, or dug up, money.

Good point, I know there likely are some fake reviews out there, that's why I'm not overly confident unless there are at least over 100 reviews, but over 500 or 1000 reviews even better.

In general, one should never buy an "extended warranty". The vast majority of them are just money makers for the party that sells them, as most forget that have it by the time it's needed, and just end up buying new.

The OP's, however, is blatantly misleading, and is worded so that one can not reasonably "qualify" for the warranty coverage.
The way I read it is that you must not have used any of your "regular" warranty during that warranty's time frame. Even then, you only get an in-store credit that is only valid for 180 days, and you must spend $999 or more.
Additionally, you have to fill out certain information, including the "order number", whatever that is, and mail it within 90 days after your warranty expiration date.
The very next sentence says that postcards not received within 90 days prior to the expiration date don't qualify. The very last sentence says that postcards received prior to the expiration date don't qualify.
Those sentences, by themselves, leave only one possibility. One must arrange it so that their postcard arrives on the expiration date in order to qualify.
The "legalese" here is terrible. In my opinion, this should be turned over to your state's attorney general for investigation and prosecution.
Make damn sure you leave the store, with that card, after you're turned down on the refund. Then, follow through on the threat and turn it over. This has got to be downright fraud, and should be prosecuted.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom