Garrett AT Pro, T2 Classic or Fisher F5

xjfan

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has been covered.

New to the hobby and looking for advice. Been searching this week and I'm down to the following.

New Garrett AT Pro and T2. About same price if you add headset to T2 extra cost. Shipped.

(Found AT Pro on Craigslist: $400 approx, 3 yrs old)

Or

Fisher F5 for $350, little lower with coupon. Shipped

Budget for detector: $450

Budget for pointer: $100 little more for the right one.

For beginner with that budget, what's your suggestion? Perhaps other brands will also work.

Detecting: relics, coins, jewelry, occasional beach (sandy area and shore) nothing deep.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
Never used a f5 ,,had the t2 and at pro..Both good machines..I’d say t2 is deeper by a good bit,,at pro has better ID..I guess it’s what your after and where you’ll hunt more,location I mean.

Can't say much about the others, but I love my AT Pro. I just started detecting this past July. I started research around mid March. Talked with a couple of acquaintances that detect and have the ATP as one of their machines and they highly recommended it for entry into the hobby. It seems to be a great entry level machine, but it is not entry level. Solid performer and will find everything you're looking for. Big part of my decision is that it is waterproof. I've been caught out in a couple down pores and no issues what so ever. Easy to use and learn....Just my 2 cents....

Can't say much about the others, but I love my AT Pro. I just started detecting this past July. I started research around mid March. Talked with a couple of acquaintances that detect and have the ATP as one of their machines and they highly recommended it for entry into the hobby. It seems to be a great entry level machine, but it is not entry level. Solid performer and will find everything you're looking for. Big part of my decision is that it is waterproof. I've been caught out in a couple down pores and no issues what so ever. Easy to use and learn....Just my 2 cents....

x2

With your budget you could throw A Patriot in the mix. It's the
F70 relabled, a bump up from up from F5.

The Patriot also looks good. Been reading lots about it. Watched you tube videos.

How important are headphones? Really needed to get started?

Looks like I'll have to add headphones and pointer to the budget.

Thanks, Joe

The Patriot also looks good. Been reading lots about it. Watched you tube videos.

Thanks, Joe

I've had AtPro for over a year, solid detector and easy to use but I took shipment on a Patriot last week. Just wanting to try something different. I have read awesome things about the F70/patriot F75 series detectors. Ive only played with it in the yard so far,..had not time for official hunt yet so I can only say at the moment that it's recovery speed is noticeably faster so I hope it does perform better in my trashy iron infested sites. The water proofness of the AtPro isn't really a big (+) for me. I don't hunt in the rain and don't do any creek or river hunting. I'm after old silver at old homesteads. One more thing is I can tell I'm going to love all the tone options on the Patriot,..they are easy on the ear. Best of Luck -Aaron

It's not always about detecting in the rain or in creeks. It's about getting muddy with the melting snow or after heavy rains, and being able to hose off your equipment. Personally, I would never buy another detector that isn't waterproof and wireless. I run the Zlink system on my ATPro so I have to make sure I don't hose that off, but it removes easily so it's not an issue. I put an o-ring on the connection to the machine so I don't have to remove it.

Garrett's AT machines are pretty great, despite what the haters say.

Thanks, Joe

Again...From my limited experience, headphones are plus. Especially learning the tones of whatever machine you choose. When I first got my machine I didn't use the headphones. It was July and very hot. One day I decided to give them a try and they made a world of difference. I noticed I could hear the slight tones I couldn't without them. Found a noticeable increase in good targets with the headphones. I use them 95% of the time now.

I jelled with Garrett but the T2 F70 are great machines, My F70 was so light and balanced I prob should have kept it and learned it to the full.

Back
Top Bottom