Help ID Bayonet

ThommyParham

I have collected bayonets for over 30 years, but this one stumps me. It was found by a good friend here in Jacksonville, Florida.
It is a fragment of a socket bayonet, very poor quality iron or low-grade steel (I think iron), has a locking ring similar to Civil War era Enfields and Springfields, but the spike portion is almost flush with the socket (similar to Mosin-Nagant bayonets). The socket is designed so the mortise would attach to a lug UNDER the barrel, not to the front sight. The blade was triangular, and it is NOT a Mosin-Nagant -I have several variants of the M-Nagant, not a match, not even close. I am guessing the socket is for a barrel of .50 - .70 caliber.
So, what the heck is this thing???

Attachments

• Bayonet_unknwn.jpg
    Bayonet_unknwn.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 453
Darn! Why don't you give me a tough one Thommy?? :lol:

I'm stumped also. It looks like a cross between an Austrian and a Mosin-Nagant to me. I'm gonna keep looking.

Jacksonville / Yulee

I live in Jax(Westside - Avondale) and Yulee and am trying to meet other MDers. Heard there is a local club but been unable to learn more. Do you know anything about a club (formal or informal)?

Post a picture of the back of it. I have a few old examples of US socket bayonets. Maybe by seeing what kind of slot is in there for the sight to slip over I can ID it.

Charlie

In answer...

It's not in very good shape. The shank is very short, and does not match up with any US bayonets I've ever seen, not Sharps or Springfield or Remington. It DOES look similar to a Swiss Vetterli Carbine bayonet, but much cruder. Might be a one-of-a-kind hunting bayonet.
As to hunting in Jax, the club is Historical Recovery Association of North Florida HRANF.
Historical Recovery Association of North Florida
- Monthly meetings, second Tuesday @ 7pm
- Club breakfasts and group hunts
- Find-of-the-Month contests
Piccadilly Restaurant
Back Meeting Room
200 Monument Road
Jacksonville, FL 32225

Back
Top Bottom