• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hillclimb Permission

shuvelrider

Something different for me. Where I live near Lake Michigan is a privately owned hillclimb venue, it's been in existence since the 1920's and managed by a bike club all those years. I happen to live about a mile from the fenced in grounds. All this year I've been trying to get permission via email to the club, to search the 40 acre site. I was finally able to talk to a live person, he suggested I come to a club meeting, and present my request to the club at large. I went tonight and had to stand before those present and make my case/request, answered a few questions straightforward along with some humor. Then they voted. It was defined if I find anything of historical significance to the club, they would like to have it for display. I have seen some old photo's from the early years where that field is packed full of vehicles/bikes and people.

You better get out there before 22 other guys descend on your property now that you told em where it is lol

Shuvel, that place could be like finding an old fair ground.

You could find all kinds of cool stuff that got dropped.

Consider determining where the concessions might have been and any unpaved parking areas. Any spectator seating or standing area should also help produce coins and jewelry.

Any idea if it's been hit before?

Best of luck and keep us posted! :cool:

From all the old pics I've seen (1920's-70's), they show the field area below the hill pretty full of spectators and cars. They either stood or sat on the ground with blankets or chairs----no permanent bleachers. At the meeting, the members never did indicate if anyone has ever detected in the past, it's a fenced in private grounds area. They did give me a window of 3 days to try my luck, based on some club work days coming up. Hopefully that will turn into something more for next Spring.

We now live close also, have talked for years about how great it would be to detect there. We will be very interested in what you find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You better get out there before 22 other guys descend on your property now that you told em where it is lol

Yeah...."Hey Myrtle! Clear this weeks schedule! I'll be out of the office!":laughing: Just kidding ya...Good Work! You earned the right to have at it buddy! Although, I am just down the road and always ready if you need a hand? :yes:
Mud

I was able to get onto the property today for a short while, other commitments today only allowed me an hour or so for my first attempt there. I use a Master Hunter CX Plus by Garrett, had it in both Disc and All Metal mode. I found some pull tabs and an old rusted pair of pliers. Those pull tabs seem to signal around mid range, similar to a nickel. Found everything around 4-5 inches deep.

Back
Top Bottom