New ACE 250 vs Used Whites IDX PRO

justjason

Hi Forum,
I'm looking to get into the MD world and have set my sights on 2 detectors that i've found. I could use anybodys advice that has either/both units, or can maybe suggest a new one. I'm looking to hunt coins/relics in New England soil for now, but will be moving to Florida and will most likely take it to the beach.
So far I can get an ACE 250 from kellyco for 212.45 and they add a bunch of junk to it for free
• Pro Deluxe Lightweight Hi-Fi Headphones
• Finding Treasure State by State Guide
• Non- Metallic Composite Digger
• Trial Subscription to Lost Treasure
• Finders Log
Supposedly 120$ worth of extras but more than likely 2 chineese dimes worth. If I buy the Ace through kellyco, I can also buy an Automax pinpointer for an extra 25 bucks, so i'm sitting at 237 for a new Ace with a pinpointer.

I found on craigslist a Whites IDX PRO used but in excellent condition, guy is willing to demo, and will sell it for 250.

I know the ACE is a newer machine, but the Whites was a better machine at the time that it was built. Any season'd MD'ers have any advice?

Thanks a bunch!
Jason

Go with the IDX PRO... you won't be sorry... its a great machine especially for that price...

I think you already know the best thing to do & want alittle reinforcement so here it is...... go with the......... Whites IDX PRO. Never mind the junk, you can always buy a set of real headphones a digger that won't break and you won't need a pinpointer with the IDX.

And if for some reason you want a Ace :?:, I am willing to bet that there is going to be a ton of them for sale cheap when the Ace 350 becomes available.

Definitely go with the Whites on this one. I had an Ace 150 and a Whites ID and the Whites was waay better, trust me.

Hi Forum,
I'm looking to get into the MD world and have set my sights on 2 detectors that i've found. I could use anybodys advice that has either/both units, or can maybe suggest a new one. I'm looking to hunt coins/relics in New England soil for now, but will be moving to Florida and will most likely take it to the beach.
So far I can get an ACE 250 from kellyco for 212.45 and they add a bunch of junk to it for free
• Pro Deluxe Lightweight Hi-Fi Headphones
• Finding Treasure State by State Guide
• Non- Metallic Composite Digger
• Trial Subscription to Lost Treasure
• Finders Log
Supposedly 120$ worth of extras but more than likely 2 chineese dimes worth. If I buy the Ace through kellyco, I can also buy an Automax pinpointer for an extra 25 bucks, so i'm sitting at 237 for a new Ace with a pinpointer.

I found on craigslist a Whites IDX PRO used but in excellent condition, guy is willing to demo, and will sell it for 250.

I know the ACE is a newer machine, but the Whites was a better machine at the time that it was built. Any season'd MD'ers have any advice?

Thanks a bunch!
Jason

I love my Ace 250, it has found lots and served me well. I'm not up on the Whites, but what I do know, is you will pay a little more for the name. It's a good brand don't get me wrong. If your going on the beach with it, ask yourself this one question........Are you going to hunt dry sand or wet sand? If your hunting wet sand or the salt water, the Ace is out! It will not detect in mineralized soil not sure if the Whites will do the wet sand or not. I'm sure someone else here can answer that for you. For the beach, in my opinion, the Excalibur II by Minelab is your best choice. Fully waterproof down to 200ft. You can take it in the water without fear of it getting damaged and it's an awesome detector. My avatar is a photo of my latest Excalibur find here in South Florida in the water, waist deep.

BTW: This should help you if your moving to FL. http://www.myflorida.com/
Also, FL is a Gun friendly state. If your anywhere near Miami, your going to need one!

WELCOME ABOARD and Happy Hunting!

I really didn't know which one was the better unit, which is why I'm glad I asked here. So the general concensious is the White's is a better product, even though it's s few years older correct? Assuming it's working and in good shape, is 250 a good/fair price for a used one?

I really didn't know which one was the better unit, which is why I'm glad I asked here. So the general concensious is the White's is a better product, even though it's s few years older correct? Assuming it's working and in good shape, is 250 a good/fair price for a used one?

Go with the IDX-PRO its a very good machine and my hunting partners use them all the time in the dirt and sand with great success.. I had one and sold it and wish I didn't but they are not easy to find at the price you found one at... you don't need to spend a thousand dollars to find good stuff and the IDX is plenty deep... like someone else said Bill Crabtree at Surfscanners can tweak out a couple more inches of depth out of it if you want it modded...

Jason... if you choose the Ace you can always ask Kellyco to keep the free stuff and get a further discount on the detector its what I did..

I've paid for my Ace with the finds. I got the sniper coil last Christmas and paid for it in two months. I got it for the price and it has served me very well. I don't know about the White's. To me, if you do get the Ace, I'd make sure I got the sniper coil as it will go places other small coils can't-it's design and the ability to lower the Ace's sensitivity has allowed me to almost touch playground equipment and find coins nearby. The White's would probably be a deeper machine, but for my tot lots and schools, parks, trashy areas the Ace is a killer.

Picked it up tonight, seems to be in like new condition and the guy demo'd it for me. Anybody have any tips on using it?

It does, thank you very much!

No problem. That's what were all here for, to help each other out and share information, hence the name "Friendly".

Good luck with it. It's supposed to be a good unit.

Let us know how you do with it and post your finds.

Happy Hunting.

Welcome..

Picked it up tonight, seems to be in like new condition and the guy demo'd it for me. Anybody have any tips on using it?

Nice going Jason with your pick.....IDX-PRO is a killer on dirt....believe it!! Had my for 8 yrs. now......settings for wetsand here in Ct. are disc. at 9-10 o-clock - sens. at 1-3 o-clock....swing slow and low....welcome to the IDX-PRO famliy! ;)

Back
Top Bottom