Beach hunting in hawaii

bishop808

so yes im a noob at MD and i dont have very much money...so i need to get this right the first time....anyone have any input on a good entry level detector for beach combing....i dont really want to dive with it but i would like to be able to go in some shallow areas when the tide is down...like i said any tips on beach detecting or insight on a good machine would be much appretiated......thanks

Excal II
My new reality...

Attachments

• Stupid crowded.jpg
    Stupid crowded.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3,351
DANG...that would be enough to make me quit or go to an other beach

Hey Bishop, welcome to the forum from another md'er in hawaii...where are you located?

Welcome from White Plains, New York!

so yes im a noob at MD and i dont have very much money...so i need to get this right the first time....anyone have any input on a good entry level detector for beach combing....i dont really want to dive with it but i would like to be able to go in some shallow areas when the tide is down...like i said any tips on beach detecting or insight on a good machine would be much appretiated......thanks

Good Luck to you. I wrote an article that may help you decide what kind of machine you need, "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started." check it out here http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html

im from maui, dont have alot of places here that even sell metal detectors let alone have anyone who can help you get started. so yeah who can point me in the direction of a decent semi aquatic md

im from maui, dont have alot of places here that even sell metal detectors let alone have anyone who can help you get started. so yeah who can point me in the direction of a decent semi aquatic md

From a budget point of view i think the tesoro sand shark which is a pulse induction machine, is about the most inexpensive detector out right now. I'm no expert and haven't used one personally but i have heard good things about them. They sell for around $575, but you might be able to knock a couple bucks off if you contact one of the sponsors for this site. If you're looking for a VLF machine, there's the tesoro tiger shark and the garrett sea hunter Mk II. They run about the same price wise at around $640. From there the list goes on and on, I spent a lot of time researching the different beach models before i ended up with a whites dual field PI. I wont say it's the best because there are several others out there but it does work really well for me and several others. Anyway, this should help get you started in the right direction, but don't blow your wad on a detector and forget about the accessories which for beach hunting i find are quite essential for the most part.

Welcome to the forum Bishop and welcome to the hobby. Sorry if my initial response seemed unwelcoming but to be honest, the number of detectorists has exploded over the past few years. BTW, the pic I posted was a cut-n-paste from a detector club in Florida I believe but Waikiki kinda feels that way these days:lol:
My suggestion would be to go down to your local resort beach and ask the locals what they're hunting with. My bet is it's either an Excal or DF, both which you can purchase and have mailed to you from the many sponsors on this and other boards. I'd suggest getting a good scoop as well. Just give this site a good searching through.
Trust me when I say there are guys in Maui that do very well;)
http://theringfinders.com/David.Sheldon/

Back
Top Bottom