.44 Colt Army Question

Just my .02, but I understood that, indeed, the cylinder was removed with more than one cylinder being carried when possible for a quick reload, dont know if this applied to all pistols or not

I considered that, but it doesn't seem practical to have a bullet you can't seat into the chamber with the gun plunger as it was designed to be loaded. Guess the clearance just isn't the same on the reproduction models.

Just an off the wall idea that came to me, is it possible that considering the times, that this may have been a bullet that was a production error and that is why it was discarded? Like I said, just a thought . . .

I have a .36 and .44 cal. repro pistols. Navy Sheriffs model and 3rd model Dragon. I have always used round balls in them, but have a .36 cal. two shot twister I have fire conical in. Have to try the conical in the .36 to see if I have the same problem you have.

Some folks load several cylinders with one of these, before they go shooting. Don't know if they used them in the 1800's to carry reloaded cyl 's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 145
I have a .36 and .44 cal. repro pistols. Navy Sheriffs model and 3rd model Dragon. I have always used round balls in them, but have a .36 cal. two shot twister I have fire conical in. Have to try the conical in the .36 to see if I have the same problem you have.

Yeah you can get conical .44's that will work but they are not like the originals. They are shorter and have a rounded point. I also have a Lee mold that will make .44 conicals that will work. I just wanted to shoot some of the original bullets made by an original mold.

Some folks load several cylinders with one of these, before they go shooting. Don't know if they used them in the 1800's to carry reloaded cyl 's.

Yeah I could load the original conicals this way, but I doubt that was how they loaded them during the Civil War. It would just be more equipment to keep track of in the field.

Yep, not the same as original pistols

I talked with Cannon Ball Guy and evidently the reproductions have less clearance than the original pistols; at least that is the case with the two I have. If I find out any additional information I will pass it along. Thanks for the contact info.

That repro is not very authentic. Try a real Colt 1860 Army or 1858 Remington.

Just a thought, maybe the conical was a afterthought after the original revolver was made, and the user had to start the conical to the first wax ring or so, outside the ram, then rotate the cylinder under the loading ram to complete the seating.

Just a thought or possibility. most of these weapons of that era, were produced for ball projectiles, the conical might have been a after thought after the weapon was produced. In other words the gun might have been sold with simply a ball mold for years, and they changed the mold years with a conical to increase sales of the gun

Back
Top Bottom