***Civil war era bugle mouth piece***

wbindia

Hello fellow diggers-

My buddy and I went out yesterday digging in the western part of Virginia to a new site, n I dug what I believe to be a civil war era bugle mouth piece. Don't know if Confederate or Union but seems in good shape and it appears to be made out of brass. I also dug a big wad of melted lead, my buddy dug a triangular shaped dropped bullet and I dug this mouth piece. The are area dates well prior to the civil war, just don't know if this is period which I suspect it is. We will have to do further research on the site to confirm any/all noted civil war activity on this new site. If this is indeed period, would be my first-so pretty cool find. The fired .58s and small .22/.21 caliber bullets were found in a different area prior to our digging at this site yesterday.

The width of the bell mouthpiece is exactly .75 inches, and there are no discernible markings/writing anywhere. Any civil war bugle mouthpiece experts out there?

Thanks

HH

Wayne

www.personal-goal-setting.com/relic-hunter.html

Attachments

• DSCN0117.jpg
    DSCN0117.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,440
  • DSCN0118.jpg
    DSCN0118.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,092
  • DSCN0120.jpg
    DSCN0120.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 985
civil war era bugle moutpiece

Thanks, I first thought I had a candle holder until I researched online and realized I had in fact un-earthed my first bugle mouthpiece, don't know if it's from the North or the South but still a pretty neat find and my first. Thanks for posting the pic of a similar recently dug bugle mouthpiece as well.

Wayne

Southern Joel-

Thanks for posting the pics which definitely mirror the one I dug on Monday. Funny thing, it was my first target of the day at this new site and 5 inches down, I thought I had a large cent or button as my F-75 LTD was locked in the upper 70s-low 80s. I almost threw it out because I thought I had a modern drawer pull or candle stick holder. I am s glad I did not throw it out until I first researched on line.

The hunk of lead I dug, this mouthpiece and the triangular dropped bullet my buddy found confirms troops were here camped for sometime. Will be going back next week to see what else we can unearth. :grin:

Wayne

www.personal-goal-seting.com/relic-hunter.html

SouthernJoel-

Thanks, and congrats on your first bonefide general service button! :cool:You will dig many more including confederate which I finally dug my first VA Staff officer button this past April.

Again, thanks for the intel about bugel mouthpieces and welcome to this fascinating hobby.

HH

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom