5000 pennies to hunt

catskillcomics

Went to our local bank today and inquired about hand-rolled coins, they say they don't get much of them any more since they installed the coin counter. BUT, I could purchase a bag of coins from the coin counter machine.
I thought, oh what the heck, so I got 5000 pennies, once I go through these for wheaties, and variants I'm going to give quarters or 1/2 dollars a shot.

WISH ME LUCK.. I'll report my finds once I'm done

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 989
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,586
thats a good idea, cause it doesnt give the bank workers a chance to look thru them. I bet you will have some luck with the 1/2 dollars

Now if you're really looking for a way spend your evenings while you wait for the snow to melt, scan them for mint errors (doubled dies, repunched mint marks,cracked dies, etc.) .... 5000 coins should keep you busy for quite a while

That is what I am doing, I am looking for wheaties, 1970 Hi/low 7s, 1972 Double dies & 1984 double ears, which seem to be the bigger ticket coins as far as memorial error coins goes..

Just searched 1000 coins and

found 7 wheats you should do better.

I just picked up an '80 in pocket change with the date and Liberty doubled ... books out between $60 & $125 (now all I have to do is find someone willing to pay that much :lol:)

Hey Catskill -

I told my wife what you did & she told me that you were nuts! She also says that I am nut metal detecting! I told her about the guy who got 3 rolls of the hand rolled 1/2 dollars & got a lot of silver out of it. You got to let us know how you make out!! :?:We need your postings to get us through the winter!:yes:

Best rgards & H.H., Bart

Hey Catskill -

I told my wife what you did & she told me that you were nuts! She also says that I am nut metal detecting! I told her about the guy who got 3 rolls of the hand rolled 1/2 dollars & got a lot of silver out of it. You got to let us know how you make out!! :?:We need your postings to get us through the winter!:yes:

Best rgards & H.H., Bart

Tell her that we're getting old coins for free! As for the pennies, good luck, and may your neck not ache!:lol::lol::lol:

Update - finished hunting 5000 pennies

the results are not as good as I hoped, ended up with 13 Wheaties, and what I believe is a 1970 S small date penny, I have a scan of it, the 9 7 & 0 all line up on the tops, and the LIBERTY is slightly mushy , not sharp.

Wheatie dates: 1944, 1949, 1950, 1951, (2)1953D, 1954D, 1955, 1956, (2)1956D, 1957, 1957D

Tomorrow, I think I take the plunge and plunk down $1000 for a bag of quarters or 1/2 dollars (if they have that many)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 377
the results are not as good as I hoped, ended up with 13 Wheaties, and what I believe is a 1970 S small date penny, I have a scan of it, the 9 7 & 0 all line up on the tops, and the LIBERTY is slightly mushy , not sharp.

Wheatie dates: 1944, 1949, 1950, 1951, (2)1953D, 1954D, 1955, 1956, (2)1956D, 1957, 1957D

Tomorrow, I think I take the plunge and plunk down $1000 for a bag of quarters or 1/2 dollars (if they have that many)

Quarters would be fun, you could cheat and just look on the sides of the coins and see if you can find ones that arent brown on the sides :D

Back
Top Bottom