Meet the Air Buddy!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Just saw this on FB. I like the concept but not the 45 mins underwater time. It still would have its uses I guess if you knew of a specific small hot spot. I don't see the cost on the website.

http://www.airbuddy.net/

Attachments

• air-buddy-1.jpg
    air-buddy-1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 624
  • airbuddy-1-1200x800.jpg
    airbuddy-1-1200x800.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 534
Some sort of compressor running off a rechargeable batt? A guy could certainly use that for old inland lake swimming raft sites, off the end of docks etc...I cant tell if the batt is removable? Probably not, but it would be cool if it was so a fellow could take along a few extras...

It certainly would extend a waders range...Beats hauling/dealing with tanks for short shallow exploratory dives, or coughing up for a 'real' hookah rig...all a guy would need is a weight belt and a mask and this thing to tow along while wading...A fellow could always come back with the heavy gear if he hits a wide hotspot...

I'd most likely get one, and then get a deep water rig or risk drowning the Pro, or stay in the 12' depth range......Thanks Felix!

Last edited:
Interesting. If you go to
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/divingeasier/airbuddy-explore-the-underwater-with-tankless-dive

The cost of the UNIT IS 1278.00 USD

269.00 is JUST for an EXTRA BATTERY.

Also the dive flag is illegal in Michigan and maybe illegal in other states. The dive flag here must be 16" x 14"

The detailed law for Michigan divers is in the NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT, 324.80155, of 1994:

Any person diving or submerging in any of the waters of this state with the aid of a diving suit or other mechanical diving device shall place a buoy or boat in the water at or near the point of submergence. The buoy or boat shall bear a red flag not less than 14 inches by 16 inches with a 3-1/2 inch white stripe running from 1 upper corner to a diagonal lower corner. The flag shall be in place only while actual diving operations are in progress. A vessel shall not be operated within 200 feet of a buoyed diver's flag unless it is involved in tendering the diving operation. A person diving shall stay within a surface area of 100 feet of the diver's flag.

Anybody going underwater IN ANY STATE especially in an inland lake needs a lot bigger flag and a lot bigger float. That little thing could easily be missed by a boat and a prop could easily slice your air hose.

This looks like an expensive toy. You can get a quality hookah using marine batteries and a larger float cheaper. And you can have a lot more dive time.

Just food for thought.

Just throw on a 50 with a mask and weight belt and have at it. If the water is warm, for me above 70 degrees, on shallow dives I just wear a t shirt, tank, mask, and fins with a weight belt. Use your lung volume as a BC. If you want to stay longer use an 80, but I like the small 50's. Suits and BC's and all the other stuff is not needed for shallow dives. Kinda like going commando.

Just throw on a 50 with a mask and weight belt and have at it. If the water is warm, for me above 70 degrees, on shallow dives I just wear a t shirt, tank, mask, and fins with a weight belt. Use your lung volume as a BC. If you want to stay longer use an 80, but I like the small 50's. Suits and BC's and all the other stuff is not needed for shallow dives. Kinda like going commando.

I will disagree respectfully. I still wear a BC in 5 - 8' of water. Easier to use it to raise the many boat anchors I find. I never wear fins. They stir up the bottom. When you play on the bottom best to have jeans or a wet suit on so you don't get cut on things kneeling while detecting.

We all have our ways to do things. I would never suggest to a new person starting out not to have all the safety equipment. I have been diving for 37 years and I am still alive. All my tanks are 80's except one and that is a 100 aluminum. I enjoy staying out there as long as possible without having to change tanks.

I agree with scuba, although these surface air supply units like brownies are convenient, electric or gas it would be remiss to not have an open water certification first. Understanding the limits of depth and time and buoyancy is critical. Great looking device though, needs work. Thanks for posting it.

I liked this AirBuddy one on account of its light weight and ease...a regular gas or electric hookah rig is not light..damned old trolling motor battery weighs 80lbs and diddling around with a gas rig? Those long air lines floating around all over the place? Forgettaboutit! Overkill for just occasional 10' dives off an old raft site out in front of a cottage or off a dock.....

This AirBuddy one? A guy like Felix could easily toss it into his kayak and just have it along in case he finds a jump off or deep cut...? Tow the kayak along with a big dive flag overhead, and not even take this rig out of the boat!....

Heck, go and snatch some lobsters with it maybe...?:?: I can see a purpose for it in several areas I hunt around here...Working the ROI parameters now...

Good Hookah System

Check out "Keene Engineering (Hydro-air).
This is a good system and you can set it up for two divers. They say 2 to 4 hrs on a battery charge but never dived for that long anyway.

Check out "Keene Engineering (Hydro-air).
This is a good system and you can set it up for two divers. They say 2 to 4 hrs on a battery charge but never dived for that long anyway.

Theres an outfit here in West Michigan just to the South of you and me that builds a hookah rig, I cant remember the name right now, but I nearly went down and bought one a few years back...I like the concept, and We all see what ScubaDee finds/season, we know these lakes around here...

It would be an 'All Day' ordeal and not just a few simple hours in the morning kind of thing....hauling out the gear and going out...I can see the potential, but man, I'm tired of hauling gear...Just staggering off the beach before Sun-up with a load of towels draped over the shoulders and beercans and shoes is a helluva workout!:laughing: Easy money though! Plus, I can smoke all I want! Cant do that with a hookah!

Theres an outfit here in West Michigan just to the South of you and me that builds a hookah rig, I cant remember the name right now, but I nearly went down and bought one a few years back...I like the concept, and We all see what ScubaDee finds/season, we know these lakes around here...

It would be an 'All Day' ordeal and not just a few simple hours in the morning kind of thing....hauling out the gear and going out...I can see the potential, but man, I'm tired of hauling gear...

Hookamax

You want to collect as many pull tabs as I do Mud?

If I manage to get this running next year I'm going to make something like my sifter and just float a tank around. Easy, cheap, safe. 8ft of water.
Even have a tow line attached to the sifter so it won't flip it get yanked

I've seen several versions of the SNUBA rig. My personal choice is the small raft that you strap a SCUBA tank onto and have the regulator and about a 20 ft
or so hose to for exploring the reef.

They are a lot cheaper than the compressor, around $550 to $600 for a full set-up, the air last a lot longer as long as your staying fairly shallow, and for that 2nd dive just change the tank, no battery to recharge.

Attachments

• Snuba tanks.jpg
    Snuba tanks.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 348
I've seen several versions of the SNUBA rig. My personal choice is the small raft that you strap a SCUBA tank onto and have the regulator and about a 20 ft
or so hose to for exploring the reef.

They are a lot cheaper than the compressor, around $550 to $600 for a full set-up, the air last a lot longer as long as your staying fairly shallow, and for that 2nd dive just change the tank, no battery to recharge.

Why folks don't want to go to that setup is quite simple. In order to fill the tank they have to have an air card which means they have to take lessons.

I actually bought one of those floats today. I got the Seac Bounty instead of the Seac Seamate. Bounty is made better. I also ordered a 25' Miflex scuba hose. I will be putting two tanks on the float and a larger dive flag.

I have been able to dive this year but the weight on my neck getting my equipment to the water has been hard. I am also thinking of getting an electric golf cart to take all my equipment to the water. I have a trailer for one already.

I am disabled but not dead. I still want to enjoy this hobby as long as I can.

If anyone has the desire to find the things I find, I really would recommend you get certified. You learn things like the easiest way to put on a weight belt, a wet suit and how to ditch your equipment in case of an emergency. How NOT to PANIC when you get into a situation. I dive in weeds over 6' tall. I stay calm and I can get gold out of them. Some are spooked when they can't see. I dive in "0" visibility lakes and can get gold, silver and coins. I have had a lot of practice and training.

Do you know what to do if your mask gets kicked off? If your mask strap breaks? If your regulator gives out and starts free flowing all your air? ALL that can happen on scuba, snuba or hookah.

Water kills and has killed one of my best friends and two acquaintances that were wading while detecting. (Actually to be fair, one had a heart attack while wading and then drowned) NO piece of gold or silver or even a metal detector is worth your life. Sure you might be able to jump in and be just fine. However, no shame in learning safety tricks and tips at all.

I won't advise anyone to buy a hookah and dive without training although you don't need any. You can also buy tanks off Craigslist and a compressor off fee-bay and fill your own tanks.

Is the gold I find worth the risk? Last year I found over 6 grand in gold and over a grand in silver. 50 gold rings, two gold bridges, a gold ear ring, 307 silver coins including 21 halves and over 100 sterling rings, bracelets, religious metals and pins. If you get trained you can find enough to pay for the training and in my personal experience it would be well worth the expense.

Another great thing about training is once you have your sea card it is good for life. I got certified in March of 1980. No need for checkups, no need for refresher courses if you stay diving and remember things. All you need to do is keep diving and keep calm. Do not expect the results I get. You have to have the time, patience and spots I have come across in order to get great results.

On the coast that is hard. Water 20' deep one day can be dry another when the tide goes out. Waders can clean those areas up. Inland lakes and rivers are great for the kind of hunting I do BUT people have had to swim there at one time. There are 11 thousand lakes in Michigan. No way I can hit all of them and all the spots that had beaches. Even behind private homes I have made a killing because there used to be a camp or a hang out spot before the home was built. However, weeds and muck have overtaken those great swimming holes and you have your work cut out for you to swing a machine. You can make the clear water black in absolutely no time at all.

Think before you jump in. I will take anyone that wants to try diving with me, BUT only in shallow water you could stand up in and have your head out of the water. You could at least see if my kind of hunting is for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom