Corroded headphone connectors........how to clean? ok to use?

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
So I scored a used set of waterproof Grey Ghost phones for my CTX and although they look MINT, the threads of the connector have white corrosion on them.
  • Will the corrosion transfer to the machine's connector?
  • What is the best way to clean / fix it?
  • What product will prevent it from happening to the connectors on the machine?

I do have a set of brand new ML yellow phones too, but they aren't as comfortable, and don't fold up like the G/G.

If you are wondering "What is the sound difference between the stock yellow and GG?" Well, I think ML did a pretty good job with this one. I placed them on my wife's head and she said, "I don't hear the difference". I think she is probably right too. When I tried the two pair, it was hard for me to hear subtle differences but there are some. The GG has (in my opinion) a small 1-2 dB increase in volume and maybe a 5% increase in crispness of tones. It is so marginal, it would probably be unnoticeable if the wind was blowing and waves were crashing.

Thanks, -David

Attachments

• corroded.JPG
    corroded.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 176
Dave, if it were me I would probably use some oil and a stiff toothbrush (similar to the nylon brushes that come in a M4 cleaning kit). Then when removed wipe everything off and apply some silicon.

Clean it with wd40 and some fine steel wool. Dielectric grease is made to prevent corrosion in connections any decent hardware store or auto parts store will have it.

Clean it with wd40 and some fine steel wool. Dielectric grease is made to prevent corrosion in connections any decent hardware store or auto parts store will have it.

X2 I ordered some of that stuff from Amazon.

What i do........ once connected i take some RTV silicon and go around the connector. The female side of that connector (machine) tends to want to flake over time in the water. Grease dont stay long if you are water hunting much. Ive had the male side go bad...... simple fix, never the machine side..... and mine has a lot of water time.

Dew

What i do........ once connected i take some RTV silicon and go around the connector. The female side of that connector (machine) tends to want to flake over time in the water. Grease dont stay long if you are water hunting much. Ive had the male side go bad...... simple fix, never the machine side..... and mine has a lot of water time.

Dew

10-4, thanks!

Just noted you are talking CTX......... well in that case that machine connector is SS no problem. The phones isnt and those connectors can go...... but you will notice the crackle. Just undo the connector....... cut back and resolder a new one on. Still use the RTV........ its not like silicon that comes off easily.

Dew

Caig DeOxit is an almost miraculous corrosion killer.
I have use it on electronic switches and corroded connectors as well as scratchy potentiometers in electronics. It eats and neutralizes the corrosion and restores conductivity.

goggle this for selection of sellers: CAIG DeOxit Cleaning Solution Spray, 5%

or a selection on amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_93sh69a1f2_b

Caig DeOxit is an almost miraculous corrosion killer.
I have use it on electronic switches and corroded connectors as well as scratchy potentiometers in electronics. It eats and neutralizes the corrosion and restores conductivity.

goggle this for selection of sellers: CAIG DeOxit Cleaning Solution Spray, 5%

or a selection on amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_93sh69a1f2_b

S-W-E-E-T ... Think ill have to try this stuff too. Being near salt water I find all sorts of gadgets I might use this on. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom