Accidental Silver Shooting Settings...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
This will probably work on the entire platform, the F70/F75/Patriot and I assume the T2.

Like many great discoveries this set up was entirely by accident.
I went into my high disc silver settings on the F70, disc 65, gain up there, thresh into the positive, DE speed, DP tones...notched in nickels.
Still a bit noisy in an area surrounded by power lines and near a building with powerful WiFi so I lowered the gain to 75 and the thresh to -2.
Quieter.
Might have flipped into SL at that point too I think.
Right now I am trying to see if quiet settings can help me notice some severely masked items I have missed in areas I have hit dozens and dozens of times.
As I started swinging I noticed somehow I had notched iron back in by accident because I was hearing that low iron growl as I moved the coil all over the ground, it is everywhere here.
Looked at the slashes and iron was indeed still in play.
I can get some decent high tone and number falsing on a lot of that iron but it rarely repeats or a quick turn to 90 degrees gets rid if it if it does.
I dug a few just to make sure, iron every time.
I decided to leave this iron notch in and I discovered that low iron growl did not bother me and on every false high hit if it was iron the extra growling told me about it quickly and efficiently.
I tried hunting like the old days not looking at the screen and just listening for the more solid repeating tones as I came across them.
This worked pretty darn great.
I dug all signals that weren't iron, got some trash but not much as I have been cleaning out this area of all non ferrous signals for awhile now, then I picked up a copper cent then another.
The next target I dug was a great one, a 1935 wheat that I had missed a million times before but at these settings showed up nicely...maybe 4-5" deep.
I used these settings the rest of the hunt in other areas I have hit a million times including a couple of lawns on the way home.
Below is the take, in there is more coins including a nickel, that big thing is some kind of copper fitting, maybe electrical, weighs a few ounces and screamed at me from about 6"...can't believe I missed this thing in the past.
Also there is a very tiny aluminum disc, small with no weight.
Not a big deal, just junk, but it was loud and clear at about 5-6".
I kinda love these new settings, if they can help me find more in this mess this might turn out pretty good.

All found using the Sharpshooter coil.

One strange thing I think happened but I am not completely sure if it did or why it happened if it happened at all.
That nickel was not super deep, maybe 3-4", but deep enough to trigger up averaging in my mineralized dirt and in all metal it did up into the 50's to 60's but back in disc I was getting much more normal nickel numbers in the high 20's to low 30's...only a range of a few numbers.
Also I can tell instantly in DP when I hit that nickel which still had a lower growl but higher than iron, much harder to pick those out in my iron infested sites with disc low into lower iron using DP.
This was different, up averaging is just a fact of life around here using my Fisher, my Mojave too, but on this one it didn't in disc.
Can these settings, with iron notched in, somehow compensate better and override the programming that causes that up averaging?
If so I have never heard of this before or thought it was even possible.
I have used these settings before but without iron notched in and got up averaging on all targets deeper plus got it in all metal on every pass.
I did pick up a couple of rotted zincolns but that was when I switched to a lower disc at about 50, in all metal they were still high in that mode, in disc I got the more normal 60's on those.
I have no idea what is happening here...yet, but with more time in using these settings I will be on the lookout for this same behavior.
Could be my imagination but maybe not, I saw nickel numbers on that nickel for sure but need more data.
In normal soil this up averaging isn't really an issue, here I have learned to use it to my advantage especially hunting in maxed out disc, now I might have to adapt again.

More to come.

Attachments

• photostudio_1507293871843.jpg
    photostudio_1507293871843.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 464
Have to try this setting. I'm running teknetics patriot. I like to run it into the noise.

I hunt really noisy lots of times, these settings are just an attempt to get a quieter environment, avoid the iron plus other junk and still have a shot at better masked targets.

Went out yesterday and used similar settings but a little different...
Gain at 75, thresh at -2, used DP but switched to 3H mostly, disc at 55 and notched in iron and nickels.
I specifically went to areas where coins have gotten very sparse hoping to eke out a few more.
Still worked great, I got all these coins and most stood out like a beacon plus that diecast 1906 Simplex car that is actually a pencil sharpener, from the 70's to 80's I think.

Several of these coins were from a small grassy area around a basketball court that I had hit numerous times before and assumed I drained pretty good.
Once again the deeper ones didn't seem to up average a whole lot like usual.
Some did, a couple of copper cents got into the low 90's but most were almost normal.
Several copper cents and the dimes came in at about 75, even a few that were deeper to 4" or so where they usually soar very high.
Still not sure what to make of that, I can't get much deeper until we get some rain and then I will see what happens on even deeper targets.

For looking for high conductive targets this is starting to be a favorite way to hunt.
All the iron growling seems to stay low in the background while letting the better targets shine through so I can pick them out.

Right now and for the rest of today and maybe tomorrow we are getting a good soaking thanks to Nate.
Digging will be much easier, some more deeper signals should show up too so I wonder how this will work on those?
Next hunt I will know more.

Attachments

• photostudio_1507400636014.jpg
    photostudio_1507400636014.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 374
Back
Top Bottom