Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Permission agreements?

What do folks typically use nowadays, whether verbal or written? Is it common to offer the landowner a cut of the finds?
I am just getting back into this after a 35 year hiatus, but I remember years ago I got permission to hunt the grounds of a farmhouse. They were fine with it since someone in the family owned a cheapo no-frills detector and had checked and "there is nothing there".
Well then I found a U.S. Army Dragoon button from 1812 and that was it, I was told to leave.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jimhenry View post
....Well then I found a U.S. Army Dragoon button from 1812 and that was it, I was told to leave.
A) Don't suggest any written contract/agreement unless the property owner brings it up. Keep it verbal with a handshake is best. Because otherwise, by putting a contract in front of someone to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a no. It just conjurs up legal hassles, blah blah.

B) Re.: your case of finding something good , which (?) caused the property owner to change their mind: I don't think a contract would have helped a situation like that. Any property can still, at any time, say "you're finished. than you good-bye". Unless you had some complicated contract verbiage that said "I can stay no matter what I find " ? Wording can start to border on the ridiculous, to try to circumvent every conceivable thing that *might* come up.

C) Not only would a contract not have necessarily solved that problem, but I must say: That's extremely rare. Most homeowners and property owners are nice. And intrigued with what we find.

I always just verbally say to them : "You're welcome to whatever I find. This is just a hobby of mine". And I have rarely ever had any property owner disallow me to keep whatever I've found. And if they did, I'd just get a picture, for the show & tell of my collections.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Default TY

Thanks Tom. Your advice makes good sense.
Jim

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
A) Don't suggest any written contract/agreement unless the property owner brings it up. Keep it verbal with a handshake is best. Because otherwise, by putting a contract in front of someone to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a no. It just conjurs up legal hassles, blah blah.

B) Re.: your case of finding something good , which (?) caused the property owner to change their mind: I don't think a contract would have helped a situation like that. Any property can still, at any time, say "you're finished. than you good-bye". Unless you had some complicated contract verbiage that said "I can stay no matter what I find " ? Wording can start to border on the ridiculous, to try to circumvent every conceivable thing that *might* come up.

C) Not only would a contract not have necessarily solved that problem, but I must say: That's extremely rare. Most homeowners and property owners are nice. And intrigued with what we find.

I always just verbally say to them : "You're welcome to whatever I find. This is just a hobby of mine". And I have rarely ever had any property owner disallow me to keep whatever I've found. And if they did, I'd just get a picture, for the show & tell of my collections.