newbie rehabilitating large property

sennomo

Greetings, all!

Not only am I new to this forum, but I have never used a metal detector. I am hoping to find some advice here regarding how to go about buying and using a metal detector. My purpose is rather specific and perhaps boring to a dedicated hobbyist: I am planning to rehabilitate a meadow.

I recently acquired a large plot of land that decades ago was used for mink farming. After the mink farm shut down, nobody maintained the property. So, it is still littered with cages, vehicle parts, and who knows what. I can't safely run equipment (mowers, tillers, etc.) over the weeds due to all this lurking metal.

Moreover, I know from deed records that there used to be some kind of pumphouse on the property, but I didn't see anything when I was there. If some part of the old pumphouse remains (even just a pipe in the ground), it might save me the trouble of digging a whole new well.

In short, I want to scour the property for hidden metal litter and maybe the remnants of an old well. I would appreciate any suggestions about what type of detector I should buy and how to use it.

Thanks!

Senny

I think a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV would work very well for you. It is very easy to use, the instruction manual will explain everything you need to know. Just flick the switch to all metal mode and start swinging! This is the cheapest detector that I know of that you can use without getting frustrated. I have personally used one and it works very well for the price.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with MSRP

You should be able to find it for a good $10-20 lower at one of the sponsors pages on this site. If you need any other help, don't hesitate to personal message me!

I would do it in steps, First step would be to eyeball and pick up all trash you see, The magnet on wheels is a good idea for step #2, Then I would get an Ace 250 and start a grid pattern, It is going to take a long frustrating time but when you finish the area will be pretty clean, You will probably find a bunch of interesting things while you are doing all this, You could also involve some local detectorists, (you know like the Tom Sawyer story about white washing the fence). Good luck and we would like to hear about your progress or lack therof

Hi from Montana

You found the right forum Senny. There is a wealth of info here.
Do you have access to any old maps of the area? That might help in locating some of the landmarks on the property.

just a suggestion

Just a suggestion, since it sounds like you're more into investing in the property, than a metal detector, but since you are I wonder if a the more professional line of metal detectors is what you would need, like the White's TDI, or White's TM-808. (if cost isn't really too much of an issue).
http://whiteselectronics.com/products/metal-detectors.html#specialtydetectors

Another suggestion would be see if there is a local club that may have members interested in helping you for a day to search for the pump, and other ground interest. (foundation walls, walkways, underground pipes or buried lines.) Let the members come and poke around and use their expertise. You might learn from them and become interested in the hobby/club as well.

There probably is some members here from the PA area that might be willing to help.

Just a suggestion.
Dusty Eagle

More info

Thanks for the responses. Here are a few short responses to questions:

I live in Harrisburg, PA. The big property in question is near Watertown, NY.

The big magnet thing sounds interesting and probably a good idea down the road. First I need to clear out the large stuff. Some of it is visible, but the flora had over two decades to grow (and move dirt), so there are even large objects that are not visible. I can't imagine how long it would take me to feel out everything with my hands. That's the main reason I figured that a metal detector would be useful.

Unfortunately, I do not have any detailed maps, just text descriptions from the official records. I saw the remains one building on the property, but did not make my way through the weeds to look inside. With any luck, it is the pumphouse, but I'm not counting on it.

The current plan is to make a thorough "reconnaissance" trip in April. (By then the snow should be gone and the weeds relatively low.) We'll do soil and water tests, surveying, etc. If it fits in our schedule, we'll also make a modest start on the metal clean-up.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom