Gps

Lots of reviews available.. including Consumer Reports. A lot depends on the useage.... i.e. highway, offroad etc.... I have both types.. I stick with Garmin for both. Highly (top) rated, great customer service, free updates (aside from major updates every few years). RickO

THANKS!! ... I've been looking at the Magellan Triton series but the reviews run the full range from 1-star to 5-star ... Garmin seems fairly consistent with the "customer satisfaction" ... our local Walmart has been running some closeout deals on the Magellan ... guess I know why.

Hay Roger,

There is a reason Magellan gets bad
ratings.

Carmin seems a better bet for tha most
part. They do cost more though.

Although I do like my discontinued Magellan
Mediterian Gold with tha Topo USA software.

You did not say which Magellan Triton you
are thinking about.

But if I were lookin at a new unit, I would be
lookin harder at Carmin than Magellan.

But a deal on a good Magellan is better than
payin full price on a low end Carmin.

There are so many choices, you need to do
your home work.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Tabdog ... thanks for the insight ... I did buy the Triton 1500 (closeout price of $186 .. original price was $469) but ended up taking it back when I discovered it didn't contain the map package like the clerk said it did. Knowing that I can always take it back, I ended up getting the next best deal (and probably the best deal anyone could ask for) which was the Triton 400 Adventure Pack ($175) which contains the National Geographic TOPO Explorer map pack, 25 credits for getting 1:24 maps, SD card and carry case (easily a $100 worth of goodies) ... Ironically, they also sell the Triton 400 without all the extras that I mention for the same price (now there's a deal that won't be flying off the shelf very quick).

I've never owned one before so I don't know what to expect in terms of performance though this seems to work just fine ... I was setting it up last night and all was working well ... the software seems a little buggy and doesn't auto load like its supposed to ... a bit annoying but not a major obstacle ... my next challenge is to figure out how to get the maps loaded into the GPS unit itself.

For anyone thinking about getting a Magellan I can tell you that it doesn't come with a lot of documentation so be prepared for some trial and error. The only significant differences between the 400 and the 1500 are the number of waypoints it will store ... also the 1500 has a larger screen, a touch screen and a built in flashlight which isn't very bright.

Back
Top Bottom