A couple questions on Nox 600 vs 800.

tinsmith

Elite Member
I was just comparing the Nox 600 to its slightly bigger bro. I see the 800 has two more frequencies, 20 and 40khz. So the 800 would be better in gold prospecting.

I was looking /comparing the two on a site called "BestAdvisor" and it reads under "Key Specs" the 800 has All metal and discrimination mode The 600 listed as not having AM and disc mode?
I know you don't need a short cut button to all metal just open up all notches and your in AM.
The other feature not listed on the 600, on this site is no discr mode. I scroll down and it says the 600 has 50 notch discrimination?
Maybe this site "BESTADVISOR" has it wrong and I'm best to go to the Minelab site. That's confusing a bit? If a person mostly hunts parks for coins maybe the 600 is plenty enough. The site also had the 800 as detecting coins at 15" and the 600 at 12". Im my world 8" is a respectable depth for a US quarter . What do you Nox users think? Or anyone

Last edited:
Straight out of the Equinox manual...the only thing it doesnt mention is that both the 600 and 800 have an all metal mode that is activated with a button on the front panel of the control box indicated by a horseshoe symbol. Correct, the 600 does not have the ability to select 20 or 40khz in single freq mode, nor does it have the prosepect mode. Also, the 600 doeasnt have as many levels of adjustability im some settings, like it will only have 3 steps, instead of the 800's 9, making it less tweekable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191121-072918.jpg
    Screenshot_20191121-072918.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
The 600 hits the same exact coin sized targets, at the same depth. I have not read anywhere that an 800 with the same coil size, out reaches coins in depth the 600 misses. Was a 600 there to check a 15" coin?

I just read the link suggesting 12" and 15" coin depths with the 800. I call "bull" by that site.

Straight out of the Equinox manual...the only thing it doesnt mention is that both the 600 and 800 have an all metal mode that is activated with a button on the front panel of the control box indicated by a horseshoe symbol. Correct, the 600 does not have the ability to select 20 or 40khz in single freq mode, nor does it have the prosepect mode. Also, the 600 doeasnt have as many levels of adjustability im some settings, like it will only have 3 steps, instead of the 800's 9, making it less tweekable.

Thanks.

The 600 hits the same exact coin sized targets, at the same depth. I have not read anywhere that an 800 with the same coil size, out reaches coins in depth the 600 misses. Was a 600 there to check a 15" coin?

I just read the link suggesting 12" and 15" coin depths with the 800. I call "bull" by that site.

Thanks, yeah I think the site "BESTADVISOR" may have some incorrect or improperly tested results on the NOX.

I use the Minelab Xterra 705 and can change frequency by switching coils. I can only run a single freq and I think the NOX with the ability to run multiple frequency simultaneously is what hits on deeper coins. I may upgrade in the future when funds allow to multi freq. I just coin hunt mostly in and around town parks so Im wondering if its worth the extra money getting a NOX 800 vs 600?

The horseshoe button exists on both models. It opens up discrimination against iron. I believe that it does not switch the detector out of discrimination mode. It just allows zero discrimination which is not a true all metal mode.

I have owned both the 600 and 800 Equinox's and I think both machines perform very good but I like the ability to make a few more adjustments on the 800 then you add on the wireless headphones and the WM08 module to run your choice of headphones, the 800 is worth the extra cash.

I have owned both the 600 and 800 Equinox's and I think both machines perform very good but I like the ability to make a few more adjustments on the 800 then you add on the wireless headphones and the WM08 module to run your choice of headphones, the 800 is worth the extra cash.

FYI, it ain't as simple to use standard wired 1/4 plug headphones with the WM-08. You will have to get the ML's $40 pigtail adapter, which ads lots of length. I wish it was that easy. I just took ownership of the WM-08, and only been able to test by using the junk HPs from the Equinox box.

FYI, it ain't as simple to use standard wired 1/4 plug headphones with the WM-08. You will have to get the ML's $40 pigtail adapter, which ads lots of length. I wish it was that easy. I just took ownership of the WM-08, and only been able to test by using the junk HPs from the Equinox box.

Is Minelab’s really $40?? Good grief.

Amazon has a couple from Sennheiser for at least half that, and they are much shorter:

Sennheiser Cable Adapter Female 1/4" 6.3mm to Male 1/8" 3.5mm Plug, $20

Sennheiser 561035 Adapter Plug for HD Series Headphones, $12

You can find plenty of others for even less, but the quality may be dubious at best. Sennheiser is generally quality stuff. You won’t have a waterproof connection, but using the WM-08, you don’t need that anyway.

The horseshoe button exists on both models. It opens up discrimination against iron. I believe that it does not switch the detector out of discrimination mode. It just allows zero discrimination which is not a true all metal mode.

Not true. Page 49 of manual...

"All Metal
Turn All Metal on by pressing the All Metal
button on the control panel.
This disables the current discrimination pattern so that
all metal objects will be detected.
Press the All Metal button again to turn the
discrimination pattern back on."

Goodmore was correct in his explanation of the All Metal horseshoe button.

jl1252, if you read that passage from the manual on page 49 carefully you will see it says "discrimination pattern" meaning whatever target segments that have been rejected will immediately be accepted after pressing the horseshoe button. Pressing the horseshoe button again will return the Nox to the previous setting with the target segments rejected again. Pressing the horseshoe button DOES NOT change the discrimination (detecting) mode to some other detecting mode. So, if you press the horseshoe button while in Park 1, you are still in Park 1 but with nothing rejected.

There is no traditional threshold based ALL METAL mode on either the Equinox 800 or 600. The Equinox 800 Gold modes are hybrid modes with many discrimination mode features similar to Park 1, Park 2, etc and just a few traditional threshold based All Metal mode features like VCO single tone audio and more depth than the other modes in Multi.

Other than the lack of the Gold modes and the single frequency selection of 20kHz and 40kHz, the main internal differences between the 800 and 600 are fewer iron bias and recovery speed settings, a lot less audio adjustments, no user profile customizable detecting mode and one less backlight setting. If you set them up the same and use 50 tones, they operate exactly the same and will have the same results.

Jeff

Last edited:

Actually I found it very simple, I just took a pair of Koss headphones, cut off the 1/4"jack and soldered on the 1/8" jack I bought off ebay. Took me 10 minutes start to finish. Things are only as hard as you make them.

Actually I found it very simple, I just took a pair of Koss headphones, cut off the 1/4"jack and soldered on the 1/8" jack I bought off ebay. Took me 10 minutes start to finish. Things are only as hard as you make them.

That's all well and good, except that butchering my Sunray Golds to switch to a 1/8th plug, cripples the Golds for use on my other 7 metal detectors.

Here’s a great comparison of the 600 vs the 800 from the Minelab website.
https://www.minelab.com/usa/community/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

Yes that was a super comparison on the Noxes. Thank you. Both the 600 and 800 will hunt coins equally and it's believed the 600 is getting overlooked a bit. As you know, they explain that the 800 gives a more expensive wireless audio. Also is more tweakable. So I see for about 250 bucks your getting more. That's not alot of dough. But those of us on tight incomes have the option for the 600. Thank you for the education.

That's all well and good, except that butchering my Sunray Golds to switch to a 1/8th plug, cripples the Golds for use on my other 7 metal detectors.

Well they also make a 1/8" to 1/4 " adapter that is only 1 1/2" long to solve that problem or just get set of the Koss UR30's like I did and covert them over.
I have 5 detectors and 5 sets of headphones including 2 sets of the Pro golds.

Well they also make a 1/8" to 1/4 " adapter that is only 1 1/2" long to solve that problem or just get set of the Koss UR30's like I did and covert them over.
I have 5 detectors and 5 sets of headphones including 2 sets of the Pro golds.

I bought this module specifically for the interest in my Sunrays. I also have several other HPs I could alter, but I don't have a lot invested in this module, so it should be fairly simple to sell it. Right now, the cheapie ML HPs from the box, function well with it and they feel less likely to tangle than when on a detector. I will just use those, if this mono adapter fails me when it comes in.

I like knowing that there are connectors like that available. I can still change my mind about modding another pair. I'll PM you for your source if I do. It really is the finished product to end with. Thanks

I bought this module specifically for the interest in my Sunrays. I also have several other HPs I could alter, but I don't have a lot invested in this module, so it should be fairly simple to sell it. Right now, the cheapie ML HPs from the box, function well with it and they feel less likely to tangle than when on a detector. I will just use those, if this mono adapter fails me when it comes in.

I like knowing that there are connectors like that available. I can still change my mind about modding another pair. I'll PM you for your source if I do. It really is the finished product to end with. Thanks

Let me know if you decide to mod a pair of your headphones and I will send you one of these connectors I think I purchased 3 of them

Yes that was a super comparison on the Noxes. Thank you. Both the 600 and 800 will hunt coins equally and it's believed the 600 is getting overlooked a bit. As you know, they explain that the 800 gives a more expensive wireless audio. Also is more tweakable. So I see for about 250 bucks your getting more. That's not alot of dough. But those of us on tight incomes have the option for the 600. Thank you for the education.

You bet and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom