Pinpointer Garret vs Automax

Rob479

----------
Okay, so everyone touts the Garrett pinpointer as THE one to have.

Most cite the fact that the automax V4 has to be within x amount of inches from the target before getting a signal. Some say that they have to be almost touching the target to get a signal.

So, I use the X pinpoint technique on my F2, and have excellent success pinpointing that way. Then, sometimes I use the V4 to locate the target in the hole. Aside from it's huge size, the V4 does the job well enough (mine can be up to 2 in away and still sound off on metal) that I have been happy to have it on a few occassions.

• So, if I am successful with the X technique of pinpointing my target to a 4 inch area with my detector,
  • and I have a v4 pinpointer now that serves me well since it gets me within an inch or two of the target...
Why would I want to change to another pinpointer that signals when I am say 4 inches away (The same thing I just did with my metal detector?)

To me, it stands to reason that a pinpointer that doesn't signal unless it is within inches of the object would be Better since it would be truly helping me to pinpoint the target to a smaller area.:cool:

I've always been on that thought level too. Thats why I like my Vibra Probe.. gives me a signal at about 1.5 inches, so I know I'm close.

But the Garrett does sound off differently the close you get to an object.. so I can see the benefit of having that and not putting my device in and not getting anything and chasing a signal.

Some times you run into coin spills or multiple targets in the same hole, sometimes a rusty nail and a good target, once in awhile one may be a couple inches while the other four inches deeper. It's easier to have a pin pointer with a little depth to locate these multiple targets without having to grab the detector and wave over the hole and plug to recheck and make sure you didn't miss anything with the pinpointer. I've seen a person pull a rusty nail at 2 inches before and 3 inches below that pull a nickel and still have a target below the nickel.

I think blkcloud just posted a scenario in the post below.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=69429

I used my V4 for several months and had decent luck with it. It's huge size was the problem and attracting attention in tot lots and parks is something I try to avoid.

Dusty

I have both pinpointers and will say they are not even close. I was really fed up with tuning the sensitivity on the V4 everytime I turned it on and there were a few targets I gave up on. Got the Pro Pointer and wow. Faster recovery w/ the benefit of two tricks to increase and decrease sensitivity. Went back to the abandoned targets and retrieved all of them with 1 minute. Garrett got this one right and is a joy to use. :D

Thanks Rob479 for posting because I was about to post the same exact question. I got the Automax when I bought my first MD last week, the ACE350. I paid $25 for the Automax. The Garrett pointer cost $127 which sounds to me as insanely expensive considering you can buy a whole metal detector for that price. I will not buy anything if I think I am being riped off on the price. And I can't see where a pinpointer would cost $127!

As I said before, I am new and I justed using the MD and pinpointer. I don't know enough if the Automax is good or crap. Only time will tell I guess. So far it seems to be working OK for me on the few holes I have actually dug so far but I may find out that it doesn't work the best then I will have to decide what to do.

JC

The Automax gives no indication of HOW close you are to the target though which is why I love my Pro-Pointer. The closer you get the faster it beeps and that is something I truly love! :)

I used my V4 for several months and had decent luck with it. It's huge size was the problem and attracting attention in tot lots and parks is something I try to avoid.

Dusty

That's why I put tape over the speaker holes, quieted it right down!!!

The Automax gives no indication of HOW close you are to the target though which is why I love my Pro-Pointer. The closer you get the faster it beeps and that is something I truly love! :)

I know if it signals I am within 1-2 inches of the target :) Not saying it is better, just that it does exactly what I need it to.

Right out of the box I had problems with the automax...it would work in the house and then would not work outside. I gave it to my son who used it twice before he gave up on it. I bought a Garrett propointer and it works 100% of the time. I have only been out twice with it because of snow...but it has helped in recovering a few wheaties alot quicker than the MD alone.
I would rate the automaxv4 as a childs toy ,and the propointer ...well as a PROpointer.

Amen Gun. You can't try to compare the two unless you've used them both.

Trust me :lol:

Have you ever used a Propointer?

No, thats why I asked the question:

Why would I want to change to another pinpointer that signals when I am say 4 inches away (The same thing I just did with my metal detector?)

When my V4 signals at 1-2 inches away...

I've since learned that the propinter will beep faster or diff when I get closer to the target. I have watched videos of people using the propointer, that is why I asked this question as my V4 seems to be more precise by not signalling until I am within an inch or so of the target, as it should.

i had the V4, centec and propointer and the propointer is hands down the best, they all serve their purpose but as far as quality and size the propointer wins. the V4 was just too big and cumbersome, the centec was just cheaply made(but what do ya want for 17 bucks)
i also can't say anything bad about the sunray probe

i had the V4, centec and propointer and the propointer is hands down the best, they all serve their purpose but as far as quality and size the propointer wins. the V4 was just too big and cumbersome, the centec was just cheaply made(but what do ya want for 17 bucks)
i also can't say anything bad about the sunray probe

i have the v4 and propointer. well the v4 still sits in the box as i dont like it at all. that thing dont make a sound unless it is touching the metal. now the garrett propionter is WAY better. i won't detect without it. well worth the money to me.

I have used my automax for 2 years, and I'm sick of the size of it! It has server me well, but I get crazy looks toting that thing around. I also am sick of it falling off my belt, AND the sens knob is always adjusted when I put it back on my belt.

I got a propointer the other day, haven't hunted with it yet, but already love the size. The only one thing I don't like about it is that there's no silent or vibrate mode like the automax.

Anyone with an unused V4 wanna unload it for $20 shipped to my door so I can use it in a comparison test? :yes:

I keep trying to get one off eBay but there are too many people that think it's worth more than that outbidding me... even with the HF one... in store for $17 and its goign on eBay for twice that :?:

Back
Top Bottom