Man Women Wild

Clemsonite

I recently got sucked into a show on the Discover channel called Man Women Wild. It's similar to the other guys doing the survivor thing but the spin is the women actually adds a lot to the situation. The chemistry between them also is pretty damn funny.

This motivated me to try and make a fire with the materials I have in the back yard, I wanted to be like Tom Hanks in Castaway :) Well after an hour of sweating and arm pump, no fire. I got to the point where I smelled the wood burning but never saw smoke.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a better set up and different wood. I was doing exactly would I've seen most the survivor people do. Rub a dry stick into a dry stick that has a carved area for the pile of small fibers to start smoldering. Any survivalist out there with some advice? I'm only using stuff from the woods and a knife.:tinfoilhat:

You might try the bow and drill method.
Fire.jpg

Bic lighter comes to mind............but castaway was an A-1 Movie................

It's a little funny, everyone I know thinks that movie is boring and pointless. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time(modern Hollywood movies). I enjoy the silent dialogue, it's as if you're thinking exactly what he is. To bad Hanks got sucked into the Hollywood religion.

It's similar to the other guys doing the survivor thing but the spin is the women actually adds a lot to the situation.

Yep, we've been watching it.

Occasionally she gives this "look" to the cameraman like she's thinking, "This is going to cost you all BIGTIME!" :lol:

So what exactly is your method for building a fire?

Yep, we've been watching it.

Occasionally she gives this "look" to the cameraman like she's thinking, "This is going to cost you all BIGTIME!" :lol:

So what exactly is your method for building a fire?

First off, the dude gives more looks into the camera than she does.:) In the Amazon, she was knee deep stuck in the mud screaming there's a snake, there's a snake! He comes running to rescue her and helps her out of the mud and lets her know that it was a tree bulb or something, not a snake. I was laughing so hard I almost cried. He gave the camera a WTH look as they walked away...classic!

My method is....(all real dry wood) I have a stick that rubs on a flatter stick that has a split in the bottom of it. Below the split I have super duper burnable stuff from tree bark etc. Problem is I can't figure if out why I can't get enough friction/heat for anything to form and drop down into the lower level burnable stuff. :?:

I actually have a small pack that I keep in the trunk of my car... and I've got a small magnesium flint. It works great! Shave off some magnesium onto your fire kindling and then strike the edge of the flint with a knife... lights every single time.

For fire starter, another item that I keep in my pack is an Altoids tin filled up with old dryer lint. It's a fantastic fire starter... and it's free in bulk. :D

That's basically my fire starting kit.

i like to use char-cloth or char-punky wood and strike a spark onto it. i also do the steelwool/9v battery method.

I hear you'all. I'm attempting to start a fire as if I was dropped onto a stranded island or land. Shoe string test will be next which is the blow and drill method.

Honestly, if you guys were smart(which you all are ;)) you would be doing the same.....I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I know when it's time to learn to make the essentials without zero technology or assistance. Time is now.

I've used the bow and stick method several years ago and I got it to work, I'm just really glad I didn't have to depend on it for survival. It took me a long, very flustrating time to get that tinder to light.

I hear you'all. I'm attempting to start a fire as if I was dropped onto a stranded island or land. Shoe string test will be next which is the blow and drill method.

Honestly, if you guys were smart(which you all are ;)) you would be doing the same.....I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I know when it's time to learn to make the essentials without zero technology or assistance. Time is now.
Another 2012 beleiver. Best thing about that deal, if it comes true, no more Wal-marts...........(I buy bic-lighters in bulk.)

One thing about us Humans in General.... We survived long before there was any modern conveniences. And if anything does happen I am sure we will make it as we always have.

Make sure you choose the right wood. Mornin...... sorry wrong forum.:lol: Hard woods work the best, The soft woods just disintegrate without making any friction

I gave it another shot now that the humidity is lower. I had some smoke! Just imagine being able to make fire with nothing but nature in a matter of minutes. It's invaluable, just ask the geico cavemen!

Attachments

• GeicoCavemen2.jpg
    GeicoCavemen2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 122
Back
Top Bottom