Detector resales

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
With the Nox 600 being a good buy AND right there where a lot of people sell their used machines.... like the Xcal and CZ will the prices have to take a dive (pun)? So is it going to be more of a buyers market for some good machines. Is it possible..... more will just buy another 600 in lieu of taking the chance on a machine that had a short warranty in the first place? We always did the math........ of what if this machine needs repairs? We knew what the costs were in most cases. Resale of the Nox maybe another issue if that repair cost is nearly the cost of another 600 if the machine is out of warranty. That long warranty leave us a LONG time to think about out of warranty machine prices and what to do with those closet machines.

Dew

With the Nox 600 being a good buy AND right there where a lot of people sell their used machines.... like the Xcal and CZ will the prices have to take a dive (pun)? So is it going to be more of a buyers market for some good machines. Is it possible..... more will just buy another 600 in lieu of taking the chance on a machine that had a short warranty in the first place? We always did the math........ of what if this machine needs repairs? We knew what the costs were in most cases. Resale of the Nox maybe another issue if that repair cost is nearly the cost of another 600 if the machine is out of warranty. That long warranty leave us a LONG time to think about out of warranty machine prices and what to do with those closet machines.

Dew

Dew... I would not sell my Excal no matter what... I thought about a Nox... but honestly I don't think I will be purchasing one anytime soon.. I'm very happy with my dirt and beach machines I own now... I think I would purchase a PI before another multi-frequency to get the depth...

I don't think it will affect the resale value of pure water/diving machines. I do believe it has impacted the resale value of used Sovereigns and anything else that competes in that category. I had considered getting a Sovereign but no longer after getting a 'Nox. I have noticed used Sovereign prices take a dip in the last year.

The two I've seen most affected by the 600/800 is the E-Trac and the AT models. I'm seeing E-Trac in the $500 range now and the AT Pro went from hot tamale to second choice.

The two I've seen most affected by the 600/800 is the E-Trac and the AT models. I'm seeing E-Trac in the $500 range now and the AT Pro went from hot tamale to second choice.

I agree. I've seen prices drop on those but I wont sell my excal anytime soon. But having said that I woundnt mind trying something new like the Nox. Although I will probably just wait and see what else comes along and see how that plays out.

I do believe it has impacted the resale value of used Sovereigns and anything else that competes in that category.
In Sept and Oct, I found four Sovereigns and Explorers listed at $175-250. I was contemplating a flip and when I called a potential buyer, he said he just nabbed a Sov with two coils for $200. So yeah, seems they are taking a hit.

Seen a mint E-trac sell for $400 and very well used model sell for $300. Even more shocking is a guy just sold his out-of-warranty ATP for $500! Bwhahaha, I'm like, that is more than they cost new! :lol:

I agree. I've seen prices drop on those but I wont sell my excal anytime soon.

I don't blame you and heck, why should you? It is a great machine that works at the beach. If you dive with it, well, not much out there can top it.

As far as Excals in the classifieds....
Saw a 19-month old, closet queen Excal listed for $600
Another Remote P/P and GG modded Excal for $700
A working unit that needed an overhaul for $250
And a 4-yr old, abused looking unit listed for $1,500 "firm". bwhahahahah :laughing:

All of the above units sold within 24 hrs.....uh, except for the 4-yr old unit. lol :laughing:

I tried to sell my Sovereign elite but no nibbles so I'd much rather keep it for backup than only get like $250. For it.

I just picked up an Excal II for $750. 1 yr old. Came with Anderson CB shaft, Alkaline Battery pod and a knob guard which was still sealed in it's packaging.

I don't blame you and heck, why should you? It is a great machine that works at the beach. If you dive with it, well, not much out there can top it.

As far as Excals in the classifieds....
Saw a 19-month old, closet queen Excal listed for $600
Another Remote P/P and GG modded Excal for $700
A working unit that needed an overhaul for $250
And a 4-yr old, abused looking unit listed for $1,500 "firm". bwhahahahah :laughing:

All of the above units sold within 24 hrs.....uh, except for the 4-yr old unit. lol :laughing:

I see stories like this and it makes me want to go visit that thief glen Ellenbart in egg harbor. What a piece of !!!!

I still think the Xcal is top dog for water hunting. BUT.... what will be hunting it is the warranty or buying one out of warranty. You can sink $2000 in one fast with mods and repairs. Ive got one now i hadnt used in 6 most..... went to put it on the wall and the cable is cracked..... ugh. Ive had so much work done on them that ive got a box full of parts..... and coils. Hoping Fishers PI has a good warranty and price. I might see a lot of my machines go bye bye.

Craig .... i can say there are some places and conditions i wouldnt use a Nox either. Even Clive has mentioned he uses his as a back up because of hard bottom chatter. Works good here in the Gulf..... but hit a trashy beach and id rather haven an Xcal. Craig...... i think the Nox would frustrate you in your conditions.... youd wrap it around a tree.:lol:

I suspect the 600 will stay about what it is ..... which will continue to hamper resales or purchases of other machines in that price range. But .... i see a platform being made out of the 800 and a big price increase. The CTX has to be taking a beating.... so it or the ET will go.... or like BBS could they do away with FBS completely?

Man I'd nab me an E-Trac for $400 fast if I saw one.

And then it would probably sit in your closet because your new Equinox can just beat the heck out of it in every detecting scenario. All for 200 dollars more.

I've seen two at pros for sale in the last 6 weeks,ive been looking for one so I know .And both sold for $350,which is really a premium price .
The etrac has been in the $500 range since the beginning of last year,I Know this because I bought and sold a few at that price.
So,I'd hafto say the equinox hasn't distrupted any sales new or used of any brand imo..Prices on used machines are where they were a year ago before the equinox info was even released.
Some of these machines being mentioned,at pro and etrac especially are 10 years old or better since released.So of course you'll see dramatic used vs new difference.The etrac especially, considering a $1000 difference from new to used,,at pro maybe $150 difference between new and used prices.. I'd say the at pro has better resale value today as it did last year,it's in demand used and has anyone seen any lately?
OP,,the equinox is a good machine as they all are,,but the haze cleared and it's business as usual for other brands new or used

Last edited:
I 'm old school , but I will say Metal Detectors are like cell phones as soon as a new one comes , a lot of people spend the down payment on a car to have one. But I have to say their is a lot of people who have been relic hunting much longer than my past 20 yrs. But I have an old Whites and of coarse several other newer Whites units, But my old MXT Tracker has proven itself in any soil and yes has out hunted some of the Minelabs that are well over $4000.00 . Not nocking any other brand because of coarse we all have our favorites , but just wanted to put my personal opinion out there. Sometimes going deeper is a big price to pay when your passing up great relics that are at 6- 9 inches and giving up a quick swing and response time.

Old Gold

I 'm old school , but I will say Metal Detectors are like cell phones as soon as a new one comes , a lot of people spend the down payment on a car to have one. But I have to say their is a lot of people who have been relic hunting much longer than my past 20 yrs. But I have an old Whites and of coarse several other newer Whites units, But my old MXT Tracker has proven itself in any soil and yes has out hunted some of the Minelabs that are well over $4000.00 . Not nocking any other brand because of coarse we all have our favorites , but just wanted to put my personal opinion out there. Sometimes going deeper is a big price to pay when your passing up great relics that are at 6- 9 inches and giving up a quick swing and response time.

When and if you ever have no desire to throw money at the latest and greatest best detector in the world you realize that in spite of yourself you're happy and productive with the perfectly capable detector/detectors you currently own AND use. Reaching this point is where the term "Happy Hunting " came from I think and over 20+ yrs of gathering detectors I'm indeed there.

I still think the Xcal is top dog for water hunting. BUT.... what will be hunting it is the warranty or buying one out of warranty. You can sink $2000 in one fast with mods and repairs. Ive got one now i hadnt used in 6 most..... went to put it on the wall and the cable is cracked..... ugh. Ive had so much work done on them that ive got a box full of parts..... and coils. Hoping Fishers PI has a good warranty and price. I might see a lot of my machines go bye bye.

Craig .... i can say there are some places and conditions i wouldnt use a Nox either. Even Clive has mentioned he uses his as a back up because of hard bottom chatter. Works good here in the Gulf..... but hit a trashy beach and id rather haven an Xcal. Craig...... i think the Nox would frustrate you in your conditions.... youd wrap it around a tree.:lol:

I suspect the 600 will stay about what it is ..... which will continue to hamper resales or purchases of other machines in that price range. But .... i see a platform being made out of the 800 and a big price increase. The CTX has to be taking a beating.... so it or the ET will go.... or like BBS could they do away with FBS completely?

Dew... I hunted a dirt permission with my MXT and then invited a friend to hunt with his NOX.. I missed 1 button and two wheat pennies in same hole ... I found all the silver (20) you get my drift? :D

When and if you ever have no desire to throw money at the latest and greatest best detector in the world you realize that in spite of yourself you're happy and productive with the perfectly capable detector/detectors you currently own AND use. Reaching this point is where the term "Happy Hunting " came from I think and over 20+ yrs of gathering detectors I'm indeed there.

Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom