Picked up new Cz455 American 22lr,,look at how the Gemtech ammo shoots in it

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
This gun is American model,,no sights,,but has synthetic stock.
Pretty lightweight.

Trigger needs work,,loads of creep and a little heavy (2lbs).
I already am working the trigger job myself with some parts.

The 2 five shot groups on the left in the one inch target dot...,shot with Gemtech ammo.
Distance a lasered 40 yards. Scope dialed to 6x.
I have only fired the gun around 45 times,,need to get used to it.

It is a shooter IMO. Especially for $364.

What makes a good squirrel rifle??
One that will shoot first shot pretty good out of a cold barrel.

The groups above I shot yesterday dialing in the scope.
The group below,,only 3 shots,on a cold barrel,,Gemtech ammo again,,lasered 40 yards,,scope again dialed to 6x,,,a slight left to right wind blowing.

I like this big time.
A good shooter I think.
More testing with each passing day.

Pretty tight grouping. Let's see a pic of the rifle.

Here it is.
Remember the gun I'm used to has a 8oz trigger and weighs a lot more,,Anschutz model 1710.

I equipped the CZ with a 3x9x32mm Leupold EFR scope.
This works good for CZs,,they are notorious for having high bolt position when bolt is opened.
I like my scope closer to barrel,,,so I have a better cheek weld for off hand shooting.

If you opt for a 40mm objective scope,,,you will need higher rings than what I have used.

Pound for pound,,,$ for $ this little rascal here,,might just be the best shooting iron in 22 LR I've had.

I have Anschutz,,have had Kimbers,,Sako Finnfires,,Ruger, Savage, Remington.
I haven't ever had a Cooper,,at one time I was going to get,,but not now,,especially after reading some reviews. They don't give those Cooper Jackson squirrel rifles away either.

Awesome report and pics! Thank you for doing all the range time for us! I gotta look into that one for sure...I absolutely love shooting a dead on sub MOA .22 behind a Leopold scope...A lot of my buds have switched over to Air Rifles and I can see the interest in those as well...

I got an old bolt action .22 Remington here, with a Harris bipod on it even! Great big 1" Scope! Thusly equipped, It looks pretty dang deadly, and it shoots pretty tight...but those groups YOU shot there? Yeah...I gotta be looking into this rig...

Thats a great looking package you put together there Sharp, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us...I may just up and call my armorer of 30yrs today even and ask about having him sell me the exact same rig, scope and rounds....

..I got the Browning .22 Buckmark Sport rifle thats mint, and the .22 Rem bolt I might just up and trade?....Hell, he just sold me a brace of .38 Charter Arms snubbies a month ago...

What you did here is of great interest to me, Sharp...Beautiful!....

Awesome report and pics! Thank you for doing all the range time for us! I gotta look into that one for sure...I absolutely love shooting a dead on sub MOA .22 behind a Leopold scope...A lot of my buds have switched over to Air Rifles and I can see the interest in those as well...

I got an old bolt action .22 Remington here, with a Harris bipod on it even! Great big 1" Scope! Thusly equipped, It looks pretty dang deadly, and it shoots pretty tight...but those groups YOU shot there? Yeah...I gotta be looking into this rig...

Thats a great looking package you put together there Sharp, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us...I may just up and call my armorer of 30yrs today even and ask about having him sell me the exact same rig and rounds....

..I got the Browning .22 Buckmark Sport rifle and the .22 Rem bolt I might just up and trade even....Hell, he just sold me a brace of .38 Charter Arms snubbies a month ago...

What you did here is of great interest to me, Sharp...Beautiful!....

Problem with the air rifles in .22 is they lose power and accuracy at any kind of decent range not to mention no stopping power. I'll take a nice 10/22 anyday. I bought a .22 pellet rifle last year to deal with Raccoons and other pests that were trying to kill my chickens. The .22 pellet rifle at close range (head shot) would not even kill a raccoon. It just rang it's bell and pissed it off. I only bought that rifle b/c using an actual .22 or .38/9mm. 45 etc in my neighborhood probably wouldn't fly.

Problem with the air rifles in .22 is they lose power and accuracy at any kind of decent range not to mention no stopping power. I'll take a nice 10/22 anyday. I bought a .22 pellet rifle last year to deal with Raccoons and other pests that were trying to kill my chickens. The .22 pellet rifle at close range (head shot) would not even kill a raccoon. It just rang it's bell and pissed it off. I only bought that rifle b/c using an actual .22 or .38/9mm. 45 etc in my neighborhood probably wouldn't fly.
My experiences have been quite different than yours. I have two .22 air rifles, and inside of 40yds they are deadly.

Bandit 06-18-16_e.jpg

I do much prefer my PB .22's , but mostly for the additional range they are effective at. I can't even tell you how many I have. :roll:

Lately I've been spending more time with a few of my centerfires.... .22-250, .223/5.56, and .300AAC mostly.

My experiences have been quite different than yours. I have two .22 air rifles, and inside of 40yds they are deadly.

View attachment 383840

I do much prefer my PB .22's , but mostly for the additional range they are effective at. I can't even tell you how many I have. :roll:

Lately I've been spending more time with a few of my centerfires.... .22-250, .223/5.56, and .300AAC mostly.

I was hitting them right behind the ear with these @ 1000fps

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Crosm...llets_22_Cal_16_7_Grains_Lead_Free_100ct/1019

and all it did was ring their bells. At first, I thought it killed them instantly. As soon as I got near, they started hissing and going nuts and I had to pop them again.

I've tried other hunting tip pellets with same results. In the end, I found broadheads worked well and were quiet :)

Either my rifle is not delivering anywhere near the advertised muzzle velocity or I have terminator raccoons. I think it's terminator coons.

.223...good fun round for vermin. We just got a nuisance permit for beaver and the .223 is a good solution. Personally, I want to christen my new Ruger Scout in .308 on one of those fat sob's. :laughing: (yeah I know it's overkill)

Thats some nice groups TNSS. I'll have to try some of that Gemtech ammo. What is the muzzle velocity?

I love a good 22 bolt gun and those CZ's are some of the best. Very nice rifle.

My current "critter gitter" is a Savage MKII FV-SR. Still waiting on my AAC Element II which is currently in NFA jail awaiting its stamp. Its been about 9 months so any time now.

Attachments

• high-res-1280-trimmed-for-screen.jpg
    high-res-1280-trimmed-for-screen.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 474
I was hitting them right behind the ear with these @ 1000fps

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Crosm...llets_22_Cal_16_7_Grains_Lead_Free_100ct/1019

and all it did was ring their bells. At first, I thought it killed them instantly. As soon as I got near, they started hissing and going nuts and I had to pop them again.

I've tried other hunting tip pellets with same results. In the end, I found broadheads worked well and were quiet :)

Either my rifle is not delivering anywhere near the advertised muzzle velocity or I have terminator raccoons. I think it's terminator coons.

.223...good fun round for vermin. We just got a nuisance permit for beaver and the .223 is a good solution. Personally, I want to christen my new Ruger Scout in .308 on one of those fat sob's. :laughing: (yeah I know it's overkill)
In all honesty, I'd be surprised if you were shooting over 700fps with your airgun and those pellets...likely less. Advertised velocities are generally achieved with the absolute lightest projectiles available, perfect temperature, tailwind, and holding your mouth just right.

Now go whack one of those big rodents (beaver) with that Scout rifle and report back. Yeah, it may be overkill, but who cares.

For pesting on tough hairy critters my preferred setup is a 10/22 that has a Choate stock, 1:10 twist heavy barrel, and an ATN X-Sight 5-18 day/night scope.

Mounted X-Sight_1.jpg

Air rifles,,the good ones,,have plenty of raccoon stopping power.

I have had a few good ones.

I had a Rapid 20 caliber,,it shot well,,average dos with 14.3 grain pellet around 940 fps at the muzzle.

With little wind,,I could shoot the brass off of a 12gauge high brass spent hull,,with it standing up at 80 yards.

At 50 yards uaing it= dead coon if it sit still long enough.

Last edited:
Thats some nice groups TNSS. I'll have to try some of that Gemtech ammo. What is the muzzle velocity?

I love a good 22 bolt gun and those CZ's are some of the best. Very nice rifle.

My current "critter gitter" is a Savage MKII FV-SR. Still waiting on my AAC Element II which is currently in NFA jail awaiting its stamp. Its been about 9 months so any time now.

Nice looking rifle.

Boy,,I am glad to see some folks participating here in this thread.

A break from metal detecting subjects every now and then= very healthy IMO.

In all honesty, I'd be surprised if you were shooting over 700fps with your airgun and those pellets...likely less. Advertised velocities are generally achieved with the absolute lightest projectiles available, perfect temperature, tailwind, and holding your mouth just right.

Now go whack one of those big rodents (beaver) with that Scout rifle and report back. Yeah, it may be overkill, but who cares.

For pesting on tough hairy critters my preferred setup is a 10/22 that has a Choate stock, 1:10 twist heavy barrel, and an ATN X-Sight 5-18 day/night scope.

View attachment 383850

Another nice setup.

I am liking this forum more and more when I see pics of rifles.lol

Given the record number of sales the last several years, I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot more here than you might think. We can probably have an ongoing thread as long as we don't post anything too graphic or political.

TNS: Those CZ's really are sweet shooters. I'd have one if I wanted another standard stocked .22LR, but I've shifted gears the last few years, and I've been spending a small fortune on my centerfires.

RTLHD: That MKII is a gem! I'm kind of a fan of Savage rifles anyway. As a matter of fact, I just picked up an AXIS .223, and I'm already thinking about a chassis for it.

I too have a pair of CZ's, one is the 455 training rifle .22 with a rear sight adj. from 25-200 meters/yards dunno, and a bondage adj. With set screw front sight. It's just wearing a cheaper 4x scope for popping squirrels to 50 yards. It too groups very well at 50 yards with low velocity loads, standard velocity tends to open them up a bit.

The other is a model 527FS with manliker stock and set trigger in the old .222 Remington caliber. It wears a 4x12 x40 Sights on scope and I am very pleased with its accuracy.20170427_193625.jpg Photo may post sideways, dunno, lol.

Don

It sure is good for this conversation! Its been so long for me!...I had a 22-250 Ruger M77 with a 2x7 Leupold scope I used for calling in and hunting Coyotes back in the 80's when we lived out in SD and that was my main way to make money....I tripped across some of my gear while packing for this move today....

It brought back great memories of trying to get the 'mix' just right.....52gr BTHP Match Sierras, 3031 fuel, about 26grs. I think...I kept tinkering around with it until I got it just right....I stepped it back a bit on the FPS at around 3750 which in this particular rig was a right on tack driver on the first shot which is what I needed...

I bet theres Forums nowadays for reloaders and such? No matter...its good talking and following along with the Membership here on this subject...

I was reloading the .357 as well and shooting it a whole lot...Blue Dot fuel, either 158gr or 125s...I was buying all my stuff from a place in Rapid City called "The Ammo Cache"...I have to believe he was getting the over runs or kicked out seconds from Black Hills Shooters Supply or someplace...It was danged economical back then! a whole load of 5000 slugs for a penny or two each! All in, I remember, for the 357, primers, powder, slugs, reloading spent brass, I estimated .7cents per round...I also loaded them sort of soft too...not max fps by any means..but it hit hard and killed me a deer or two along the way...

We got away from all of this when we moved back East...It was just too confusing and scary with nowhere to shoot and dink around like out West...but like I mentioned, the Wife and I just recently got that pair of Charter Arms .38+p light alloy frame snubbies last month...and it all came back as natural as can be when we took them to the range...muscle memory I suppose...

It is a cool science and sport to fiddle around, practice, and get right dead on. Its a lot like Detecting in that way...Using an analytical mind, fiddling around with settings and trying them out in field and constantly practicing until you get it just right....Thanks guys...Great gear you have and a very cool thread!

RTLHD: That MKII is a gem! I'm kind of a fan of Savage rifles anyway. As a matter of fact, I just picked up an AXIS .223, and I'm already thinking about a chassis for it.

Thanks Longhair! I'm actually a big Ruger fan too when it comes to 22LR. I also have a 10/22 (although not nearly as nice as yours) and a 22/45 LITE. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket stock for the 10/22 and really like the looks of the one you have on yours!

Just imagine the smiles on those faces at the barrel making places like Lilja, Shilen, Green Mountain, etc.

When the Ruger 10-22 came out,,,m77-22 came out.
Sako finnfires,,and now the CZ 455.

They absolutely loved this.

IMO the 10-22 life was well extended with the barrel desing as far as how it mates to fun and is secured.

Probably safe to say now,,in the USA,,the Ruger 10-22 model has actually had more rimmie fodder through them than any other model.

I had one once back in 1985,,didn't know what I had then though,,don't even know if barrels were being made for them then.

Flashback! I remember one year back in the late 80's, The State of SD issued only 60 permits for predator callers to hunt Wind Cave Nat park! Since I lived sort of close in Rockerville, on a whim, I applied and threw my hat in the ring for this lottery! Boom! I drew a golden ticket! To call in and shoot 'yotes in a Nat Park?

I tell you brothers...that was really something! Hunting 'yotes and following the buffalo and antelope herds....just amazing! All the other predator callers were blowing the standard distressed rabbit calls, wearing camo from head to foot, but after about the third day, the remaining 'yotes wised up and would not come in listening to all those dying rabbits....

So I went all retro...I needed the money, and was not out there for fun...so I stopped blowing on the Talley Ho, and instead switched over to a Faulks C-50 Crow call, and also dressed in loud colored 'touristy' looking attire! These Nat Park 'yotes were used to seeing tourists, getting their picture taken by them even, not a bit ascared, and they were used to listening for crows feasting on a runt over prairie dog tourist road kill!

I just massively slaughtered the hell out of those 'yotes right from the road just pulling up on a likely location near a prairie dog town, and blowing that crow call! Wearing all sort of brightly colored clothes like a tourist! Easy! They were not the least bit concerned about a parked car on the road or a guy out there acting like a tourist...

But dress in camo and blow a dying rabbit? Sneaking along the ridgelines far away from the road with 59 other dinks doing likewise? Yeah...that sort of made them think a little...'yotes are not stupid...

Looking back, I bet I coulda done it with a bag of marshmallows and a golf club! That woulda saved me some time on the 50 yard retrieve I guess...:laughing: I really miss those days...That was really something...I'm not that good of a shot so any little bit helps...Again, just as in this Sport of Detecting...In the end, Its all about getting results!

Back
Top Bottom