XP Deus worth it?

detectingpro

I'm searching for my next detector. :D Was wondering if the deus is worth a look at since lowering the price on it..

I haven't seen much discussion on the XP deus on this forum, and all youtube videos I find on it are either foreign, or from the UK. So does anyone have any experience using the deus in the states? How deep does it go? Is it good on the beach or trashy parks? What are some strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks!

I haven't used one myself, but they do seem to be pretty popular over
here. That could be because of one of two things.

1) Either they are very good

2) People like to own the latest must have machine

I cannot pass judgement.

Apparently there is a big update due for the Deus later this year.
So if you are thinking of buying one, it might be a good idea to
hang on for a while ?

They have been around for a while now and the folks who use them seem to love them.

If I was willing to spend big money on a land only machine I would definitely be looking at and doing some research on one.

I am probably gonna get some flack over this post but I will give you my honest opinion. I have had 3 different Deus machines trying my best to love them and giving them ample opportunity to win me over. There are several things about the Deus that I really liked so here they are. I loved the weight, it's like swinging a broom handle it's so light. I love the portability, it folds up small enough to backpack. I liked the fact that they were sending out updates to make the machine better but honestly, I didn't really need or use them and last but not least the machine is very fast and good in trash. Unfortuanately there were several more things that I didn't like that just didn't warrant keeping the machine as my everyday hunter. I didn't like the backphones and the WS5 phones were too loose fitting and would fall off easily when you bend down to dig. I didn't like the fact that you had to snorkle it when you submerged the coil. I didn't like the tones and could never get completely comfortable with them. I didn't find the ID at depth to be as reliable as some other machines that I had. I didn't like the fact that you had to verify rusty bottle caps by comparing the ID on different frequencies although I will say that it was pretty effective just time consuming. I didn't like the fact that I was going to have to send it in eventually to get batteries replaced due to the wireless capabilities. As far as how deep it is, the Deus has no issues with depth as far as I am concerned but the ID at depth is not great. I found a 10" Silver quarter in 3Khz that was baffleing some other detectors by them losing the signal. I got a good response from the Deus. All in all I think the Deus is a good machine but I don't think that performance wise it was any better than the detectors that I know like the back of my hand and are confident in. That's the key to detector satisfaction in my opinion. Swing what you are confident in and know the best because there are a lot of good machines out there. I like Whites detectors and that's what I started with 30+ years ago so you might say that I am brand loyal. I just like what works for me!! By the way, I have also owned the Etrac, 705, and other top end machines and always returned to my Whites.
Pesc

I love the Deus because of the lightness and that it recharges instead of burning through batteries. I also hated the back phones (and the other headphones for that matter), but solved that problem by taking the "smart" end off the back phones and using it to attach to my beloved Killer Bs. There's a little adapter clip that you buy and it allows you to plug regular headphones to that smart end. Then you pop it in your pocket and you're still not connected to the detector, but have good headphones. Just my 2 cents!

I love the Deus because of the lightness and that it recharges instead of burning through batteries. I also hated the back phones (and the other headphones for that matter), but solved that problem by taking the "smart" end off the back phones and using it to attach to my beloved Killer Bs. There's a little adapter clip that you buy and it allows you to plug regular headphones to that smart end. Then you pop it in your pocket and you're still not connected to the detector, but have good headphones. Just my 2 cents!

I honestly don't hunt much with headphones on.. I don't think its a major issue.

The deus is a very good unit. I actually have 2 of them. Very light weight and compact when need be. Personally if I was going to give a recommendation, I would opt for the wireless backphone setup and get the headphone adapter. Then you can use most any headphones you desire. In iron they are very good. Learning curve I consider not hard, but you do need to put some time in.
Deus disc circuit is I think very very good, because it has very small digital adjustments possible. Machines audio for clarity is good; especially in iron. The digital readout is easy to see, and menus I feel best laid out on any detector I've used. Software updates are possible provided by manufacturer, and I hear a new update is coming soon here in the USA. Machine for the most part is very forgiving in the sweep speed department; unless hunting in heavy iron. Making setting(s) changes on the fly in the field is very easy. Deus is a good performer in medium to medium high mineralized soil, better than most. Deus does have iron volume, good notch system, good ground balance tracking system. 5 year warranty is good. Service facility is in the US. Rechargeable batteries seem to have a long service life. Reported problems on the forums seem few and far between. I have made some nice finds in areas pounded with other flagship detectors.

Save your self some money and get a good mid range detector from
any of the leading brands. Learn your machine's language then spend
your time looking for good sites to hunt. Location is everything in this
hobby not gear.

100 percent agree.Location is everything.I know I'll have somone disagree but your not gonna find much more than you will with a mid level detector.I'm not chasing the dream anymore,you won't see anything in my signature but mid level machines.they're just as good.Xterra 705,At pro,Vaquero,mxt, will find anything the same as any other machine.I wonder how many guys are gonna copy and paste this post...lol

100 percent agree.Location is everything.I know I'll have somone disagree but your not gonna find much more than you will with a mid level detector.I'm not chasing the dream anymore,you won't see anything in my signature but mid level machines.they're just as good.Xterra 705,At pro,Vaquero,mxt, will find anything the same as any other machine.I wonder how many guys are gonna copy and paste this post...lol

I think this really depends on what you are hunting for. My buddy's and I are relic hunters and I can honestly say that there is a difference in machines for this type of hunting. The Wolf, who is well known here has an F75, and as a test I've gone behind him with my AT pro, and good solid signals on his machine won't even beep on mine. Now, I added a NEL tornado coil to my unit, and I can say that it improved the AT a lot, and I had my best day relic hunting after installing the coil. Wolf also had a deus, and I forget what VaMark uses, but it is a high end machine and they took them to a spot we call the button patch. It's been hammered for 20 years, and although it's been hammered, we still manage to pull a few relics every time we go. They took the deus and the minelab in there and cleaned up. I'm sure if they read this they could chime in, but I know they did very well in there with those machines. I just purchased a deus, but have not been able to get out due to weather. I'm fairly certain that I can take it to places I've had my AT, and pull relics that the Garrett missed due to masking and or depth.

I could go over a spot with x machine then go over it with another machine and find stuff the other missed.Doesn't mean one is better,that happens all the time.every machine misses things that another would find,maybe for swing speed,angle,masking,depth,user error,I just couldn't justify buying anything over the machines I stated above,in that price range.I us to,but not anymore

I don't know about everyone else but I just enjoy paying twice as much for a detector that could do the same job at half the price! :rolleyes:

And I agree it's all what your hunting for.I set my machine up for what I'm hunting for.If it's jewelry,I notch everything but the jewellery.Coins,I hunt in the coin range.Some people run all metal,that's great,just not me.I go out for a specific hunt,and don't wanna get sidetracked by a coin signal when ring hunting.Would I miss a ring by notching out coins,maybe.But it's just how I hunt.

I could go over a spot with x machine then go over it with another machine and find stuff the other missed.Doesn't mean one is better,that happens all the time.every machine misses things that another would find,maybe for swing speed,angle,masking,depth,user error,I just couldn't justify buying anything over the machines I stated above,in that price range.I us to,but not anymore

If that's the case, and location is more important than gear, OP might as well go buy a bounty hunter and save several hundred dollars. I understand your position, you use what you feel works best for you. During my limited time in this hobby, I can say that I've seen first hand that there is a difference in machines. I could take my AT to northern Virginia and try to dig in hot soil, and I won't get anything but iron signals whereas someone with a higher end machine will have far more success than I will. The op wants to know if the deus is worth it, and everyone will have their own opinion. The way I see it, will it do better than my AT? Maybe not. But, the fact that it can be broken down into almost nothing, is completely wireless, has multiple frequencies and settings, and weights virtually nothing are the features that made it worth it to me. The recent price drop makes it a very good buy now as well, and for a couple hundred dollars more than a mid level machine at the higher end of the price range, it's worth the purchase in my opinion.

Well I will use, just as a quick example, ground balance. We already know proper ground balance plays an important role in a detectors performance. Most top end machines not only have a manual GB option but many have tracking and even off-set tracking. Many low & mid level detectors only have factory set GB or maybe manual.

Many of the features of top end machines not only improve performance but improve the experience of the end user. I can buy a basic car that will get me from point A to point B just like any other, but I spend the extra money so I can get from Point A to point B in comfort. Things like AC and a stereo may not make the car go any faster but they sure make the trip more enjoyable.

I believe the Xterra 705 has every feature a high end machine has at a mid level price.I guess it all boils down to how much your willing to spend for peace of mind.I'm good at 600

Is it worth it? It is if you pay for it with findings from an entry level machine.

I have a Deus and I think it was worth the money...for me.
I trust my Deus so I'm not thumbing through settings while detecting and it's very easy to use. I'm detecting more often. Detecting more gets me more finds.

:my2cents:

I believe the Xterra 705 has every feature a high end machine has at a mid level price.

At over $700 I'd say the 705 is at the top of the mid level if not the bottom of the top end. In either case the 705 is a great detector but still lacks many top end features. It has 28 target ID segments to the E-Tracs 1750, for example, and notch discrimination is pretty limited. 2 detecting modes. Of course these features may not be important to some but just because they are not important to you does not make them not valued. Both notch and modes can affect performance.

As far as mid level I was looking from $400 to $600+. I would call the AT Pro to top of the mid range.

I don't know about everyone else but I just enjoy paying twice as much for a detector that could do the same job at half the price! :rolleyes:
LOL :laughing:

I believe the Xterra 705 has every feature a high end machine has at a mid level price.I guess it all boils down to how much your willing to spend for peace of mind.I'm good at 600
I have the 705 and the deus, the 705 is a very nice mid level detector but very far from having every feature the Dues has.

IMO my deus was worth every penny I spent on it and this was pre price drop.

:my2cents:

Back
Top Bottom