Makro or Garrett pinpointer?

Chad M.

I'm about to make a pinpointer purchase and have narrowed my choices down to the either the Makro or the Garrett pinpointer. Any users of the new Makro out there? I know a lot of people will say Garrett all the way but I've read that it does have a few bugs but then again the Makro is so new that it hasn't proven itself yet to be a quality tool. Any suggestions?

Loved my Pro Pointer dearly ...... until it like so many started playing up -

I now use a X-Pointer however am waiting patiently for a Makro as I have been waiting for a good waterproof unit -

Good luck with whatever you decide but if you don't mind sending it back for service every now & then go with the GPP - I am in New Zealand so its not worth it to send all the way to the USA -

Not sure how you managed to narrow down the field to those particular choices. I'm not in the market for a pinpointer but from reading the forum and what people are saying I'm left with the impression that there really is no good reason to be buying a new Garret Pro Pointer. Don't get me wrong, it does the job and is what I use, but the newer models put out by other companies have real improvements. Personally, if I were out shopping today I would be looking between the White's TRX and the Deteknix X-Pointer.

Pick your poison. Tried several brands including the x pointer, 3 propointers, pro find, pistol probe, TRX, automax, etc. The TRX is the chit! Plus Whites pays shipping on warranty and you can transfer the warranty. You can pinpoint to China. Or detune it to work like any of the other pinpointers I listed. But you can not increase the depth of the others to match a TRX. If you don't like depth, try harbor freight.

Vibra probe 580 . Yes it's big and one other thing. It's never given me a single problem. Water proof to 200 ft and you could kill a bear with it if you had to. Did I mention it's built like a tool and not a toy? You guys send your PP back for service multiple times? That's beyond ridiculous.

Theres reviews on youtube ive had a gpp for 3 yrs sent it back 2xs now have a makroon its way cant really test it out in the field with 5ft of snow so I have to wait good luck with ur choice

Just ordered a Makro on Friday... I have been holding out a long time waiting for a waterproof pinpointer. I will test it for a few days and post back again. With the cold as it is now, I am down to just beach detecting so waterproof is required.

I have the garret pro pointer that I have had horrible falsing with after about 3 months of use.My minelab pointer did the exact samething after 2 months.I have been using the RS Nokta pointer most of the summer with awesome results.Still going strong no falsing.I recieved my Makro pointer the week they released.Its about the nicest pointer I have used so far.The fact its water proof is what really makes it the King in my book.The case and tip covers that come with it are a great bonus.I have been beating the !!!! out of it to be honest trying to get it to break,and it's working like a champ!I have dug with the tip,it doesnt flex.And I have yet to have any falsing.It does have a slight issue with 2 freq on my Deus.The rest of my detectors no problems.And I can just move the deus over alittle and that solved that problem.I went over it in a few of my Videos.After spring comes and I get to test it under water in the creeks I will give a full detailed Video review.I deff recommend Both the Nokta RS pointer(if it was water proof it would be perfect) And the Makro which has taken its place as my Fav. Good Luck,HH Jim T

Think the ProPointer is mostly brand name and marketing hype. I bought one one impulse, just had to see for myself. Yeah, it was a neat gadget, but hardly worth the price, from an electronics stand point. It failed after 7 months, sent it in, great service. The new one lasted 6 months, before becoming completely useless, in the same fashion as the first. Never sent it back a second time. I can understand a bad production run, or a few bad ones slipping through. A good company would make sure the replacement or serviced product would be perfect. Same problem, seems more like a design flaw, something that should have been corrected. Been using the Centech I had before the Propointer, still does what I need, $17 and a few fun modifications. The case isn't great, but I don't abuse my tools, so it's going to be good for a while.

Been tempted by all the new brands coming out, might pick one up eventually. The TRX seems to be a good choice. Xpointer is still a little new. I really don't need or want a lot of depth from a pinpointer, it's not directional, nor do they discriminate. I pinpoint pretty good with the main unit, and mark the spot, before setting down my detector. I've got a fair idea about how deep I need to go. The soil here is soft sand, no natural stone. Roots are the only obstacle to get in the way. The pinpointer saves me from getting my hands really dirty, and helps avoid hidden sharp items, like broken glass and plastic, iron bits. Not a huge fan of wearing gloves, hands are heavily callused anyway. Just don't see a need for 2 inches+, in a pinpointer, for the way I hunt, and ground conditions. Sometimes, more, is really less than you want or need...

I'm sorry I can't recommend the Pro-pointer. I've had two in two years and I barely qualify as a user. I used them a few hours here and there with great care, yet they false with slight pressure and tend to go nuts. Trust me, I've read these forums, I've tried all the remedies. I don't have the time to be working around my pinpointer. The two year warranty is coming to an end, so now I'm using an X-pointer. It has slightly more depth and NO falsing. Time will tell. I'm sure the TRX is a fine unit, but I can't justify the cost.

Isnt the TRX waterproof? Or am I wrong?

They don't call it waterproof. But I use mine under water. Hard to call anything waterproof to cover your ass. Even watches. I know Whites said when they released it they would be working on making it waterproof. May be one of the machines they have fixing to come out? Good thing about a TRX is you can take one screw out, pull out the insides and then test the outer shell in a bucket of water for days.

I just ordered a Garrett pp AT and feel like I'm throwing the dice a little bit. Hoping it's not as delicate as the TRX. Really unimpressed. The workmanship was on par with a science fair project. Took 10 months to fall apart completely.

first time using my makro pp yesterday so far very happy only time will tell. any problems will update. ps thanks Bart.

When the garrett is new it works great. Then, as soon as you change the battery (or 3 months, which ever comes first, the thing goes nuts). For what they cost I wouldn't buy another. I did buy an x pointer and am very happy. A year now and no problems at all. Very few(if any) Garrett's can say that. With pin pointers I guess it's all hit or miss. Good luck.

Had a Propointer that ran for years without problems. I won another so gave my old one to a relative. It's still going strong, and the new one developed problems that worsened within months. Had to send it in to be fixed / replaced. No problems with the new one so far.

That being said, I find myself in need of another again for a third party to use. I'll probably go with the Propointer AT.

White's TRX loses out because of the turn-on time plus need to ground balance. I've owned a Vibraprobe in the past that lasted a LONG time, but it's drawback is it drives my detectors nuts when on and there's no off switch manually. It turns off after not detecting metal after a minute, so continues to interfere with your detector if you hang it back on the belt after digging till turns off.

I've looked at the Makro and it does look good too.

Back
Top Bottom