2013 winding down VOTING BEGINS after midnight see post 58 for instuctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinsebring

Global Moderator
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
How about your favorite or best find for the year. (This year) Since the season is coming to a close for quite a few of us a thread featuring best finds for the year will be posted in features for the duration.

So, who wants to get it started? Coins, jewelry, civil war, historical, bottles etc. Water, dirt or wherever. maybe if the list is long enough we may take a vote later on to see who tops the list. Might even find something in the prize closet if there is enough interest. For now, one entry per member. Lets see how it goes into january. If it gets big we may put up a end date later on. Pictures a must,:coolpics: because if there is no picture, well I will say no more.

if you don't have the means to add a pic, You will have time over the period to figure out a way. Maybe one of your grandkids can help.:laughing:

Thats how I learned....:roll:

I would like to add, this little contest will be to highlight the best finds of the year. Most of them have been posted before and some were featured. This thread will bring them all back under one light.
I would also state this is being run by me as a forum member and not as a moderator, and is not a contest sponsored by the forum or it's owners.

Gil

Last edited:
didn't get out much this year but dug one my best tokens ever.rare unlisted 1800's Cattle Exchange Saloon token from Ft Worth Tx.always nice to dig a piece of local history.

Attachments

• CattleExchangeFtW.jpg
    CattleExchangeFtW.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,474
Recently found this Vietnam era POW/MIA bracelet.

Attachments

• Capt. John Borling.jpg
    Capt. John Borling.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,383
Not sure if this counts as one thing - it's all from one coin spill though :)
1849 and 1879 Dutch (silver) guilder cents, and two early 20th century 2 1/2 cents.

here is my best find coin wise for the season, found in a bean field in Oct
1885 V nickel, the "king" of the V nickel series

Attachments

• 1885 V nickel close.jpg
    1885 V nickel close.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,383
My favorite find of the year was this 1948/49 Berlin Airlift Medal. Historic event and military collectible.

uvy2y5ym.jpg

e6y4asy3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are our best finds from this year. I had a gold + silver day, and Hubby found the 10K class ring. No neat relics for us, but we'll take what we get. : )

Attachments

• 102_0403.jpg
    102_0403.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 102_0316.jpg
    102_0316.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,366
Being a newbie.So far this is my best find.I had only been mding for one month and found this 14k gold ring.

Boy it's hard to pick a favorite for the year. I have found so many "firsts" this year. I guess the one that surprised me the most is the U.S. Calvary 1890-1920 Great Seal Bridle Rosette. It rang up 01-47 on my CTX; the same as a silver dollar. When I cut the plug I saw about 1/3 of the round disk in the hole and my heart began pumping. When I got it out and cleaned it off I was even more surprised.

Attachments

• Bridle Rosette composite.jpg
    Bridle Rosette composite.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,379
This was probably my most unique find of the year. Saw a lot of funny faces as I dropped this into the hands of others! My first grille. :D

Attachments

• Gold Crown.jpg
    Gold Crown.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,223
Its hard to choose between my Farthing or this seated. The seated is beaitiful and even the farthing is in good shape. I think I have to got with the Farthing

Attachments

• attachment-5.jpg
    attachment-5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • attachment-6.jpg
    attachment-6.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,141
Best find this year for me was this Tudor Dress Hook. (AD1485-1603)

Last edited:
Best single find

My girl friend bought me my first metal detector for Christmas last year. A beginner to make sure I would like MDing. I Had a lot of fun with my whites coin master! I think I had a good first year! My best coin is this 1863 copper-nickel IH penny! My only IH but a nice one! This completely sparked my interest in old coins! And I've been hooked since!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,153
I'm used to finding gold and silver at the beach. Inland I rarely hunt much. Probably my favorite is part of a Hubley Texan jr. cap gun in pretty pristine condition considering it was buried since the '50's. And at a school no less:lol: Next year hope to go back and see if I can find any more parts of it. Would love to be able to put it back together!:yes: Being in pretty clean sand preserved it. Nickel plated one probably would have peeled though.

Attachments

• SAM_0886.jpg
    SAM_0886.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,144
  • SAM_0887.jpg
    SAM_0887.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,144
Two Plus Karat Emerald Ring....18K 9.3 Grams

This was found in July. Haven't got around about the value. I was also shocked :shock: by the amount of posts I received on my thread....100+! :wow: That was a first for me. Thanks again. :yes:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=167399

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 714
I have a few good finds this year...The Chief of all Indians...
IMG_2346_zps34c574a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 11.8 grams of white 14K gold with 9 diamonds...
IMG_2338_zpse5ab823c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] JR Wood and Sons, NYC 18K ring, 7.7 grams, made in the mid 1890's...
IMG_2278_zpsff0ad3bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] If I can only pick one 'best find', it would be the Indian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom