OK.... I waited as long as I could. PI COMPARISON

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
I'm sorry and I know its been asked a thousand times…. But I need some experienced hunters opinions.
I have been shopping for a water machine. Will hunt freshwater lakes and travel to the ocean a lot also. Before my etracs, I used a Tesoro for 13 years and I love their detectors. BUT its just hard to beat minelab. I was looking at a sandshark PI from Tesoro, can get a good used one for around $400. That’s a great inexpensive way to try out water hunting.
But then I started researching, and am interested in a used sovereign GT, but its not waterproof. And I'm sure I will be in knee deep water at least 20% of the time. I don’t want to put 1000 in a used Excalibur, but that would be my first choice.
I know there are a lot of decent PI machines out there…. But since I have a minelab I think I will stick with minelab. Unless I find some CRAZY deal on a Infinium LS or seahunter.
Thank you for all your input and hey, at least I didn't start another scoop thread:lol:

It's not really clear what your question is...you want comparisons on the different PI machines out there? I'm not sure as you also say that you are going to stick with Minelab (but don't want a Sov and can't get an Excal). The only Minelab PI is the GPX which is thousands of dollars and not waterproof so I can't imagine that's what you're looking for either. I have only ever used a Whites PI and that was only for a few hours so I don't have much to add other than "You need an Excal". :D:D:D Sorry....

I guess my question would be this...

Since PI machines DONT HAVE DESCRIM.... what makes a excal better than a sand shark in preformance? Im not looking for .10 gram gold flakes..... so I don't understand? If both machines will find small gold and silver whats the big preformanc difference.

I guess my question would be this...

Since PI machines DONT HAVE DESCRIM.... what makes a excal better than a sand shark in preformance? Im not looking for .10 gram gold flakes..... so I don't understand? If both machines will find small gold and silver whats the big preformanc difference.

Totally different machines. The Excal is not a PI machine, the Sand Shark is. "Performance" is kind of a subjective term, it all depends on what you want to do and what the beach conditions are like where you are. On most beaches having some iron discrimination is a huge plus (which the Excal has) and with a PI you will blow yourself out digging every single rusty nail and bobby pin on the beach. As I'm sure you'll know a PI is probably deeper than an Excal. So what are the beaches like where you are? If they are basically trash free then a PI would probably be alright; otherwise you'd probably be better off with something like an Excal. I see a PI as a specialty machine to be used only in certain situations (some people though use them as their main water machine). It's really up to you but if I were to get one of them it would be an Excal...and MAYBE pick up a PI later on after I'd totally pounded out my beaches and try and pick up those really deep targets I missed. Up to you though! :yes:

Well thats embarrassing! I THOUGHT THE EXCAL WAS PI!!! I just assumed it lol. dang....
I mostly go to Destin beaches, Pensacola, panama, myrtle beach, port charlotte. those are my home beaches haha.... Not sure how trashy they are.... could always take a Destin trip with just the etrac and throw it into all metal mode... get used to digging all the trash and give me a since of what its like to have no descrim.

Well thats embarrassing! I THOUGHT THE EXCAL WAS PI!!! I just assumed it lol. dang....
I mostly go to Destin beaches, Pensacola, panama, myrtle beach, port charlotte. those are my home beaches haha.... Not sure how trashy they are.... could always take a Destin trip with just the etrac and throw it into all metal mode... get used to digging all the trash and give me a since of what its like to have no descrim.

You could but the Etrac doesn't really have an "all metal" mode like a PI and even with no discrim it still discriminates iron to some degree. But yeah, if you're just hunting the dry/wet sand then the Etrac is awesome. If you're getting in the water though you'll probably want an Excal...awesome machines. If you put some research and effort into it I think an Excal would pay for itself before too long. Good luck out there! :D

The Etrac does have an AM... but its a processed signal unlike PP AM on some machines.... just not as deep. The big issue is it not water proof and the cable is inside the shaft.... ocean water movement will bob up the shaft or you may forget and raise your coil about your box.

If you are going to hunt fresh water sites id recommend a VLF CZ21 or Xcal just because the iron doesnt desolve as quickly in fresh water .... so there is way to much iron for a PI to be very effective. A VLF can be used regardless of conditions since they have disc ...... none dislikes iron more than the Xcal. The VLF can also be used on any part of the beach and on Fl beaches there isnt an over whelming depth difference. IF it were just the ocean then an PI with a little work will pay for its self.

Dew

A PI is the last detector I would use in freshwater... every nail that was thrown into that lake 150 years is waiting for you to recover it.

Get the Excalibur or a CZ21.

With a PI machine, in the waters you want to hunt, you will wear out a good scoop (there, got it in :lol:) with an Excal you can discriminate out iron. If you don't want to spend a $1,000. for a used Excal, you might have to change from being brand loyal. There is nothing wrong with a CZ 21 and a used one can be bought for half the price of the Excal. I just bought one to compare, to the Excal and do like it.

The beaches you described are hunted to death, except Myrtle Beach. Most of what you will be hunting will be fresh drops so the broadest coverage with the faster recovery time would by my machine of choice.

You will be vacationing to those beaches, so time is going to be a factor. Do you want to spend valuable vacation time digging iron trash?

What you described where you want to hunt and money wanting to spend, the CZ 21 with the 10 inch coil would be my choice. It is bullet proof, so it travels well. It comes apart fast, so it packs easily. Batteries can be bought anywhere, it's faster on signal recovery than the ML's and it goes just as deep as the Excalibur. However this is only one persons opinion.

Tesoro makes a VLF as well... the Tiger Shark. You could look in to that and it would save you money versus an Excal. There are many options for every hunter... you just have to try a few and find what works best for you. My suggestion is buy a dredge and just suck up all the goodies!!! ;)

The Tigershark is very good in freshwater but not happy at all in saltwater.

Don't ruin your etrac at the beach. Lots of options for a beach machine. Just never make a PI your first beach machine. Sov gt can be waterproofed with a pelican style box. Excal as you may not know does have some quality issues. The s shaft out of the box needs to get replaced immediately as well as an armcuff added with a strap for your forearm. As soon as possible buy you some back up knobs. And the headphones are a PITA. You need to electrical tape them to keep them adjusted for your head. One day i'm gonna wire me some Whites BHID or Dualfield phones to mine and make it my avatar. maybe then they'll get rid of those krap koss ones when we start sporting Whites phones on our excals. Hoping to do a mod down the road with mine. See how ML likes that one:laughing: The couple of guys i knew who had a Tigershark didn't like them. Just depends on what you like.

A PI is the last detector I would use in freshwater... every nail that was thrown into that lake 150 years is waiting for you to recover it.

This pretty much sums it up. You know what you need to do now...good luck young Padowan. :lol:

PI Fresh water

I have used the D.F PI many many times in fresh water...is it tough?? YES...Is it worth the trouble??? Yes in my case I hunt very old lakes with layers of finds coverd by years of sand replenishment. I want to get every target out of the place so I can get to the very deep old gold. Makes me crazy some times..but it has paid off...this year I'll be using a Beach Hunter 300 and a Surfmaster II VLF for my lazy days and to check out new spots...but if the spot shows promise of deep oldies the Dual Field PI will be pulled out.

Your "HOME" beaches?????? But it says you're from Chattanooga....:?:

They're pretty trashy NOW, since the Spring Break Invasion of '13 is on-going. These touristas are pigs this year...

I too would never think of a PI machine in fresh water. I love my CZ's and I believe they are as good if not better than an Excal.

No matter what you get, LEARN the machine and don't give up. If your not diving you do have a choice of a CTX3030 for both fresh and salt water also.

If it were JUST salt water, I'd say get the PI, but since there's fresh water involved, I'd go Excal or CZ or Infinium... (in that order)

Yeah, PI's suck in freshwater and sandy beaches. Keep on thinking that, more stuff for me......... and most of all don't use them in schoolyards and parks.....
May just retire most of my VLF's.............love my PI

Back
Top Bottom