Review of Kellyco Garrett Ace 250 package

shegeek72

Hi all, I'd like to share my experience with buying my first MD. After doing some research (and watching Diggers) I decided on the Garrett Ace 150 or 250. I called Kellyco one afternoon, was on hold a bit, but quickly got a sales rep. I said I was a noob and asked whether I should buy the Ace 150 or 250. I was told the 250 was a much better machine and decided on the 250 package for $212 and some change with option #1, which consisted of:

Garrett Ace 250 w/batteries
Pro deluxe lightweight headphones
Pro Orange Dot Treasure hunting gloves
Kellyco 2-pocket pouch/apron
12" sawtooth Gator digger
Maxam 4" stainless steel folding knife w/belt clip
Deep pocket coin pouch
State-by-state Treasure Guide CD
Trial subscription card to Lost Treasure magazine

I was told the 250 was on back order and would take about 2 weeks to ship. The salesman was friendly, helpful and answered all my questions. A week later I got an email from Kellyco saying my Ace 250 had shipped! 5 days later Fedex delivered my package. The 250 was easy to put together and was ready to go in 5 mins! It was lighter than I expected (2.5 lbs) and has given me no arm fatigue in two hour-and-a-half hunts (though my legs were sore!).

As for the accessories: the headphones are your standard lightweight headphones. However, they have no volume control and the 250's beeps are LOUD (the detector has no volume control either), so I'm looking at picking up a wireless set with volume control.
The gloves are your standard dot gardening gloves.
The 2-pouch apron is cheaply made and ripped the first time I put it on (fixed with duct tape).
The sawtooth Gator digger is sturdy and good quality.
The Maxam 4" folding knife is cheaply made and not worth the $14.95 retail price, but it works.
The deep pocket coin pouch is good quality (I'm currently using it as a pouch for the Gator digger).
The treasure CD covers all 50 states and contains stories of lost and buried treasure that, apparently, no one has found yet.
The magazine trial subscription is the standard card you'd see in a magazine.

In conclusion, I'd give Kellyco's Ace 250 package a B- and would recommend looking for better packages! Btw, I'm very happy with the 250! :)

Hi all, I'd like to share my experience with buying my first MD. After doing some research (and watching Diggers) I decided on the Garrett Ace 150 or 250. I called Kellyco one afternoon, was on hold a bit, but quickly got a sales rep. I said I was a noob and asked whether I should buy the Ace 150 or 250. I was told the 250 was a much better machine and decided on the 250 package for $212 and some change with option #1, which consisted of:

Garrett Ace 250 w/batteries
Pro deluxe lightweight headphones
Pro Orange Dot Treasure hunting gloves
Kellyco 2-pocket pouch/apron
12" sawtooth Gator digger
Maxam 4" stainless steel folding knife w/belt clip
Deep pocket coin pouch
State-by-state Treasure Guide CD
Trial subscription card to Lost Treasure magazine

I was told the 250 was on back order and would take about 2 weeks to ship. The salesman was friendly, helpful and answered all my questions. A week later I got an email from Kellyco saying my Ace 250 had shipped! 5 days later Fedex delivered my package. The 250 was easy to put together and was ready to go in 5 mins! It was lighter than I expected (2.5 lbs) and has given me no arm fatigue in two hour-and-a-half hunts (though my legs were sore!).

As for the accessories: the headphones are your standard lightweight headphones. However, they have no volume control and the 250's beeps are LOUD (the detector has no volume control either), so I'm looking at picking up a wireless set with volume control.
The gloves are your standard dot gardening gloves.
The 2-pouch apron is cheaply made and ripped the first time I put it on (fixed with duct tape).
The sawtooth Gator digger is sturdy and good quality.
The Maxam 4" folding knife is cheaply made and not worth the $14.95 retail price, but it works.
The deep pocket coin pouch is good quality (I'm currently using it as a pouch for the Gator digger).
The treasure CD covers all 50 states and contains stories of lost and buried treasure that, apparently, no one has found yet.
The magazine trial subscription is the standard card you'd see in a magazine.

In conclusion, I'd give Kellyco's Ace 250 package a B- and would recommend looking for better packages! Btw, I'm very happy with the 250! :)

That's a pretty decent priced combo deal. I purchased my ACE 250 off the net, and I paid I think 230? It was a year ago but it was stand alone without all those accessories. That's a good buy right there.

For a new buyer out there like myself, if your area is known to produce Iron, copper or other metals like mine is, your soil may have high mineralization. The ACE 250 is not the best choice in that kind of soil. The ACE350 would be a better choice as it comes stock with the DD coil which would help. the AT PRO would be ideal for this kind of soil, but the price is not. I read that Minilabs perform well in mineralized soil, for what it's worth.

I ended up getting the ACE 250, then learned about my soil then bought a DD coil for it (the one that comes stock on a ACE350). Made a world of difference, I can now rate my ACE 250 a B. It's not great at discrimination but for the price you can't go wrong it's a solid choice for a beginner like myself. I really appreciate the quality of the product at the price offered. I feel it’s quite fair

The way I'd see it is that it's just a bunch of free stuff that came with a detector. There might be one or two good items in the bunch.

It didn't add to the price so what can you say?

Thank you for sharing your review. One part that I notice in just about everyone's review of Kellyco, is they call and talk to a sales rep, but what was the sales rep's name?

When I call Colonial, I talk to Rich. Every time I call colonial, I talk to Rich.

Colonial

Thank you for sharing your review. One part that I notice in just about everyone's review of Kellyco, is they call and talk to a sales rep, but what was the sales rep's name?

When I call Colonial, I talk to Rich. Every time I call colonial, I talk to Rich.

This is the same with me. And let me tell ya, Rich is a exceptionally pleasant person to deal with

I paid 179.00 for mine and they threw in a fisher pin pointer. It was not from Kellyco! Ps the 250 found me gold silver and tons of clad.

I was going to buy my 250 from Kellyco. but i heard some horror storys.
so i got my 250 from phil from meyers in tampa

Good for you... I hid an egg, good luck finding it!

The way I'd see it is that it's just a bunch of free stuff that came with a detector. There might be one or two good items in the bunch.

It didn't add to the price so what can you say?
Nothing's free. The cost of the 'free' items was added to the markup on the 250. Also, several items (besides the MD) had Garrett's logo on them, so they're getting some advertising out of the deal.

Given the going price of an Ace 250 is about $215, how much more than $212 did the free stuff make it?

I'm no ace in math, just curious.

Garren, Steve, Leilani, Raoul, Shavonne, and another guy who just answers phones.

New Englan Detectors.

I keep telling people all the time. New England Detectors Will beat ANY of the mentioned dealers. Talk to Andrew or Justin. Not even close. I've had other dealer contact me and when I tell them the price I never hear from the again.

That's a pretty decent priced combo deal. I purchased my ACE 250 off the net, and I paid I think 230? It was a year ago but it was stand alone without all those accessories. That's a good buy right there.

For a new buyer out there like myself, if your area is known to produce Iron, copper or other metals like mine is, your soil may have high mineralization. The ACE 250 is not the best choice in that kind of soil. The ACE350 would be a better choice as it comes stock with the DD coil which would help. the AT PRO would be ideal for this kind of soil, but the price is not. I read that Minilabs perform well in mineralized soil, for what it's worth.

I ended up getting the ACE 250, then learned about my soil then bought a DD coil for it (the one that comes stock on a ACE350). Made a world of difference, I can now rate my ACE 250 a B. It's not great at discrimination but for the price you can't go wrong it's a solid choice for a beginner like myself. I really appreciate the quality of the product at the price offered. I feel it’s quite fair
How does the DD coil help with mineralization? That may be a problem where I live (OR).

I keep telling people all the time. New England Detectors Will beat ANY of the mentioned dealers. Talk to Andrew or Justin. Not even close. I've had other dealer contact me and when I tell them the price I never hear from the again.

I like some of the packages they have for the 705, but their website prices are substantially more than all the other sites I've looked at.

I always talked to Dan. He would ask what the lowest quoted price was from other sponsors and beat them.

Never paid full price and never paid for shipping. Coils always had a cover thrown in free on top of discounts.

You've got to talk to the right people in a larger company. A basic telephone operator is only authorized to do so much.

Back
Top Bottom