Competition?

Aquaman

Elite Member
Most people on this forum have their favorite spots and I'm sure most run into other enthusiastic detectorists during their hunts. I've noticed an ever increasing # of people picking up the hobby and I don't mean casually. I hunted Waikiki in the middle of the day yesterday and with the help of a few other regulars we counted 11 water hunters from 7am-11pm...some who regularly do doubles. Again, these are not your newbe hunters. These are the retired guys that metal detect every day like Max, the semi-retired who have made metal detecting a second job and detectorists like myself who try and squeeze in a hunt whenever our work schedules/family life will allow. I hope I'm not sounding bitter here...I'm simply stating an observation

My question...is this about average in comparison to your home stretch/regular vet #'s routinely out every day?

I guess im one of those new and retired. But hardly a second job to me.... WORK is a 4 letter word. I dont think you are whining at all seems the more targets get scarce the more time people are spending on the beach. Im now seeing the snow birds as well. Im going to enjoy myself out there. Its getting to be some are so competitive they are down right rude about seeing you. Just gives you a chuckle. I know it has to be tuff for those weekend hunters seeing more all of us out there. Here they hunt night and day morning and evening. Baby boomers always find a way to make a buck and gold prices arent helping long time hunters. The good ole days are gone.

Dew

I see it here in Santa Cruz all the time buddy! On a good tide, a warm summer day it is not unusual to see that many or more between the wet and the dry!

I took the day off to hunt the site of an annual festival here in Tulsa. I notice right away that the only signals are pennies. I picked up close to $5 in pennies, and $2 in other clad. Most of the time I didn't need a detector since the grass is beat down. Last year i picked up a bunch of jewelry and clad.
I walk over the restroom and there is a park worker coming out and he asks how I am doing on the hunt. He then says the 3 guys out here yesterday did pretty good. :mad::mad::mad: These guys were good enough to cherry pick and I bet there are still $10 worth of pennies I passed over.

So yes there are hunters everywhere.....

Absolutely 100% correct AQ !!

I counted 10 on a Wed morning in October ..

It's a public beach so all are entitled to hunt there, but it's a different detecting world nowadays ..

I can remember when I knew everybody on a first name basis and that was about 3-4 guys and that was usually only after a storm ..

The gold fever has struck and a the shows on tv have just fueled the fire ..

Good luck my friend .. I'm sure we will still do fine , just smaller pieces of pie :)

I really don't see many people hunting where I hunt although there is one beach that I see quite a few ;)

Attachments

• Connecticut 1.jpg
    Connecticut 1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,047
Most people on this forum have their favorite spots and I'm sure most run into other enthusiastic detectorists during their hunts. I've noticed an ever increasing # of people picking up the hobby and I don't mean casually. I hunted Waikiki in the middle of the day yesterday and with the help of a few other regulars we counted 11 water hunters from 7am-11pm...some who regularly do doubles. Again, these are not your newbe hunters. These are the retired guys that metal detect every day like Max, the semi-retired who have made metal detecting a second job and detectorists like myself who try and squeeze in a hunt whenever our work schedules/family life will allow. I hope I'm not sounding bitter here...I'm simply stating an observation

My question...is this about average in comparison to your home stretch/regular vet #'s routinely out every day?
Hang in there Aqua man,hopefully you find some great treasures,,could be some of these guys are on vacation to and see how packed our beaches are and thinking It's Mother Lode Out Here In Paradise:laughing::laughing:,,HH
See ya in December:thumbsup:

I see lotto hunters in public parks and public swimming areas but very few door knocking or going into creeks in my area. I live in a very rural area that gets heavy tourism. I know it's getting more competitive but there r plenty of spots where ppl still won't venture to hunt. Also I see way less people in the water than on the dry sand. In the waters the place to be!

Maybe they're like me....always wanted to hunt, since I was a kid. Couldn't afford the detector till I was older, couldn't afford the time while I was on active duty.

Well it shouldn't affect your quota too much Aquaman. AFAIK you are the only guy I know of who hunts by finning the sand away and looking for a glimmer. :yes: No batteries required. Anyway everyone knows Japan is the new Hawaii, semi-virgin trash free haven. But to answer your question, no I don't notice more people detecting my spots, but I do notice more locals on the forum. I guess they are sticking to schools and parks because I rarely see another detectorist in "MY" spots.

Aquaman,,,correcto mendo,,,this is what I pm you about last month,,,,gets harder and harder to think outside the box and get the stuff,,,,,in fact,,,,that is exactly what I have done is gotten out of the box,,,,all my beaches are so hunted to death and now with swim season ending and still piles of sand,,,,it is real, real tough,,,,GL HH

atleast the beaches get replenished with goodies........try being a woods hunter and finding unsearched areas or old parks that haven't been beat ta death, that gets harder every year

Hang in there Aqua man,hopefully you find some great treasures,,could be some of these guys are on vacation to and see how packed our beaches are and thinking It's Mother Lode Out Here In Paradise:laughing::laughing:,,HH
See ya in December:thumbsup:

I'll see you in December deedee:yes:

I have only ever seen 1 or 2 people besides me and my Dad metal detect in little ol New Ulm, Mn but I went on a trip to virginia beach and i couldn't believe all the people that where out detecting. I was amazed and thought there would only be a couple of people out detecting besides me.

We are way too spoiled over here...I think I have run into 2 other detectorists (both only once and in the same day) in about 10 years and I hunt all over the place. If I count my cousin, my work friend, and 18kRonin I guess that makes a grand total of 5 other people I've ever seen detecting besides me.

I seldom run in to anyone detecting by me. I occasionally see people who look like newbies in the parks, going way too fast and their coil 6 inches off the ground. However, if you go down to Bradford Beach on Lake Michigan during the week there are usually 3-5 guys down there every day, expecially in the water, some on the sand some in the water. I don't hunt beaches much and I have never run in to anyone in the woods or fields where I hunt. I have notice this year that the finds at the tot lots are very few so I am guessing someone has been pounding those and I don't see them, but again I don't hunt those that often either.

Being a partime hunter I was the one invading others beach's, But most locals are still very friendly. Just wonder if that will change once I'm retired and out there several days a week instead of a couple weeks a year.

competition .... :)
they are your helpers ... : Смеется:
have a good Russian proverb "who first rose, he has slippers..." : LOL:
or Christian "who get up early the worm"

PS: 5 years ago, I was actually one in the water in the region ... now more than 20 water hunters ...
PS: I do not sell principally to the Odessa area Ukraine Evroexcavator-2 :)

Back
Top Bottom