Minelab X-Terra Grip Mod

nittany1

Elite Member
xterragripmod029.jpg

Minelab X-Terra 705 w/custom grip

I don't like the grip that came with my X-Terra 705, it's made out of a really firm material that can't technically be called foam, there doesn't seem to be any airspace in the material, it's just some sort of rubberized material with no give.

I decided to remedy this myself because I couldn't find a suitable replacement. I thought about several materials: 1) tennis grip tape 2) badminton grip tape 3) bicycle handlebar grip tape.

My choice was made for me when I couldn't find a nearby tennis shop. But there are several bike shops nearby.

xterragripmod030.jpg

Bontrager Gel Tape, black

I tried all the grip tape on the fancy several thousand dollar bikes in the store and decided upon this Bontrager Gel Tape. Any bike shop that sells Trek will have Bontrager since that is the brand of accessories that go along with selling Trek.

The tape I chose costs $17 plus tax. There are several different styles, colors and materials. For me it came down to the gel tape or a cork tape, they were both comfy but I liked the gel tape the best.

There's enough material in the box to do 4 detectors with plenty of leftover as extra in case you rip the grip in the field. Keep your OEM grip in case you want to sell your detector someday.

xterragripmod028.jpg

Bontrager grip tape on X-Terra handle, closeup

Tip: The X-Terra OEM grip pulls off the handle, simply grab the grip by the "ears" and pull upwards with the logic box off the upper stem/handle assembly. The top flange needs to be removed to do this.

I pondered the best way to put the grip tape on the X-Terra handle, I tried with the top flange off, I started wrapping from the bottom, I tried different angles.

It turns out the best way is to install the flange on the top of the X-Terra handle and start wrapping the grip tape from the top, snugging it tightly against the flange. I overlapped about 1/2 of the width of the tape itself as I wound down the handle.

The grip tape doesn't have adhesive, it has a simple partially-sticky almost-glue, that's the best way I can describe it. If you make a tape placement boo-boo it's real easy to unwind half a turn and pull it tight again in a better place. The box of grip tape comes with some electrical tape of course with the Bontrager script "B" on it. If I were going to do it again I would buy a roll of black tape at the bike shop so there would be no brand name, but the included tape didn't cost any extra so that's a plus.

I have never wrapped bicycle handlebars or metal detector grips before and it came out OK. If you don't like the material that is on the grip of your detector I would encourage you to change it to something you do like. The material I chose has some stylized white spots included in the material. I saw it on a $4k racing bike in the shop and I figured it's good enough for my X-Terra 705!

I hope this helps to all MD'ers who don't like their grip material. Have a good one!

Regards, Tom

I use the same tennis raquet tape for my MXT. You can buy it at walmart also in the sporting goods. Big difference in comfort.
Even though Tesoro detectors are made like Rolls Royce cars and even though it doesn't get any any better, it is nice to know that you can go to your local Walmart and get a wrap to cover the hand grip to keep it nice & clean on those muddy days. Thanks for the heads up Dirt Lizard.

Hey?, question: Im thinking of going TODAY to buy a Tosoro Cortez, but concerned about beach use. Have you used yours on the beach and would you recommend it for beach (NJ) and regular land use? Thanks.

My Tesoro is OK on the dry parts of the beach but not on the wet unless I turn the Sensitivity way down. It doesn't have a beach mode nor does it have a DD coil.

Back
Top Bottom