Headphones

havefaith

Elite Member
Hi All,
I have been trying to decide which headphones would be best for me. I have seen some that go from 8-30 Ohms, Frequency Range at 20 -20,000Hz, and 102 dB at 1mW, (not sure of what it all stands for). What should I buy? I don't think I need the best but I don't want ones that are real cheap either. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx and HH!!

HaveFaith

With my Prizm, I found that simple headphones were sufficient. The most important thing is that they have a volume control. When I upgraded detectors, I decided to go with specialized phones for additional features. In addition to the volume control, they have a limiter that reduces strong hits, some external sound blocking ability, and provide better response to the low volume threshold of my detector.

The frequency response is simply the threshold of human hearing, the decibels at whatever wattage is not all that a big deal as most headphones are going to be similar.
I ended up buying Ratphones, they sound good and are pretty rugged. I think the main choices are Grey Ghost, Ratphones and I forget the names of some others but any phones advertised for MDing should work fine. I think whites has some mid priced ones I just saw advertiesed.

I use a pair that came from my CD player. I have 80 percent hearing loss and they work fine. I did have to get an adapter. bout $2

im a DJ by trade so i spend quite a bit of time with headphones on. my normal ones are sony V700-DJ's 130USD last I checked. I cant bring myself to use them with my detector, there is a huge difference with 'phones made for beeps and ones designed for music. if you can find a full cup design to try and block out as much ambient noise as possible and ones with lower impedance and or a higher SN ratio youll be set. resistance to water is also a plus i dont wanna worry about them getting ruined while im out in the rain. a coiled cord is also nice so you have extra length and dont have to worry about it getting in the way when you dont need it. i really cant see paying any more than 40-50 for a pair

To me it depends on what you want to spend. Maybe take a ride up and see me and bring your detector and we can try out a few. :yes:

Hi All, Thanx for the advice. Tony I may just do that anyway. It will probably be on Saturday though. Do you work on Saturday? Think I asked that once before.
Again, thanx all.

HaveFaith

i am usually open on Saturdays from 10 AM to 5 PM. This Saturday I willbe closed however.

Havefaith...

I have the Grey Ghost originals and I like them because they cover your entire ear and if you hunt at the beach you want that otherwise you may not hear signals with the wind blowing and they are very comfortable... I used to have Koss gold series for MDing but after 30 minutes I wanted to throw them away because they used to pinch my head awful... I regulated them to the Ace250 for guest use only :D

I also have Gray Ghost Originals and I agree with the points mentioned in the post above. For me, they are very comfortable and I can wear them all day. It's also helpful to block wind and wave noise at the beach (or sounds from passing cars for that matter).

Oh yeah, I bought mine from Tony. He made you a good offer to try some and compare. Good luck with your choice.

Thanx everyone. I guess I will be going to see Tony in a couple of weeks. He is closed this Saturday, so next one. Went to a school park yesterday and this guy comes over to me asking all kinds of ?'s. I didn't want to be rude, but.... So if I have headphones it may help with privacy also I hope.

HaveFaith

Cfmct-PI said:
Havefaith...I used to have Koss gold series for MDing but after 30 minutes I wanted to throw them away because they used to pinch my head awful.
I can relate to that, awful isn't the word for it. I'm a White's man all the way but they sure need to contract their headphones to another manufacturer.

I want comfy ones for sure. I can MD for hours, not realizing how long I have been at it @ times. So comfortability is the only way to go.

HaveFaith

Back
Top Bottom