• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Long-lost WWI soldier found and returned home

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
Long-lost WWI soldier found and returned home

On Sept. 15, 1918, with World War I nearing an end, United States Marine George Henry Humphrey was
killed by a machine gun bullet through his helmet. Pinned down by the Germans, George's fellow soldiers
hastily buried him in the woods of rural northern France.

Read more: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/96734384.html

What a story! Did you notice the combat boots still on the remains? Helmet still in place.

Alan, in the last several years I've been saving newspaper obits of all the last surviving WWI soldiers of all the major countries in that war. I believe we are down to our last living participating man. Problem is I've forgotten which country he is from.

All of these men were well over 100, and in the last 5 years they've all (the last survivors) come to their natural end.

Thanks for the article

Old Town

Alan, in the last several years I've been saving newspaper obits of all the last surviving WWI soldiers of all the major countries in that war. I believe we are down to our last living participating man. Problem is I've forgotten which country he is from.
Old Town

We lost our last survivor, Harry Patch, last year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8168691.stm

He is quoted as saying.... "Anyone who says they weren't frightened, was a bl**dy liar"

You probably know about the US JPAC team, based in Hawaii. ?

Dedicated to identifying and repatriating the remains of US servicemen from
all past conflicts, anywhere in the world.

They had a short series on UK TV a couple of years ago, showing the work
they do. Their HQ on Hawaii has the largest forensic anthropology laboratory
in the world.

Thanks Alan, what a great story!! Gotta say it chocked this old sailor up.
Sure shines a better light on our chosen hobby as well, the "good stuff" we can do!

Amazing story. We are free today because of what that man and others like him in all the other wars scarificed.

A true Hero.... Until they all come home

Amazing story. We are free today because of what that man and others like him in all the other wars scarificed.

A true Hero.... Until they all come home

Agreed. Especially the men of WW2 who lived in a world of such aggression it's hard to imagine today. With Japan seizing the Pacific and Germany taking over Europe, the Allied men and women truly did save the world. They were not in it for a living or to make money, they were committed to saving their very hides. The West could not lose without becoming enslaved. I really don't think most folks today fully understand this. We'd be working for Berlin and Tokyo under fear of death. Sound overly dramatic but that was the score in 1945.

Old Town

Thanks for posting the link...

It was very good to read that a fellow Marine is coming home.

Semper Fi my brother, may you rest in peace.

Semper Fi

On a similar theme

On Monday the 19th, It's the official opening of Europe's first war cemetery
to be built in 50 years.

The ceremony comes exactly 94 years since that fateful day when 1,547
British and 5,533 Australian soldiers were killed, wounded or missing presumed
dead in a catastrophic First World War offensive.

On a similar theme

On Monday the 19th, It's the official opening of Europe's first war cemetery
to be built in 50 years.

The ceremony comes exactly 94 years since that fateful day when 1,547
British and 5,533 Australian soldiers were killed, wounded or missing presumed
dead in a catastrophic First World War offensive.

It's about time for them too! I have always had a deep respect for the British and Australian Soldiers involved in any war, they faced death bravely and with honor that reflects a great national pride.

My Family's military tradition started from the British Army way back before the 1700's (We fought for both sides in the revolution too).

May they rest in eternal peace and dignity.

Alan - Thanks for the story!
Voriax - Nice find on the list!

Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrows,
We gave our today.

Back
Top Bottom