1715 Treasure Coast find.

kelpike

Elite Member
Hi guys, I had a chance to hunt the treasure coast this week. I found this Spanish cob coin in the dry sand in one of the cuts. Not quite sure if it is real or not because it is not as encrusted as I thought one would be. Is it common that one can come out of the sand in this condition? This is pretty much how I found it. I only chipped off tiny little pieces of sand from it. I know its probably not worth much in value but I'm pretty excited about finding it. (Hoping it's real).

I can't speak to the authenticity of the coin, but I can tell you if you've found real spanish silver, that's a big coin. At least 4 reales.

Seems to me that silver from 300+ years ago would look more tarnished, too, but that doesn't mean much, given we have no idea the conditions it sat in, until it was brought up.

Check for silver by running a STRONG magnet against it (with a piece of paper between). If it's silver, it'll slightly repulse the magnet against the rub direction. Do this with a known silver coin, so you know what to feel.

You can also spit on it, and wrap it in foil, and 30 seconds later, open it... if it stinks to high heaven, there's silver content. (creates sulfides).

Cheers,

Skippy

If that's genuine, it's a **really** amazing find - congratulations!!!

That said (and I'm just guessing here) - it does look a lot like toy pirate treasure coins I've seen (like these)

Don't mean to be a buzzkill - hopefully I'm wrong.

Toy Pirate Coin.jpg

I would

Check with Scoundrel, he was one of the diver's that found the big hoard of Gold coin's down their, he find's the silver cob's on , and off, he would probably know with some close up shot's, Earl

Back
Top Bottom