Picked up new Cz455 American 22lr,,look at how the Gemtech ammo shoots in it

Old ways can be good. For causal plinking or small game to 100 yards, optimum small bore accuracy was achieved by about 1890 or thereabouts. Of course corrosive priming ruined all those barrels, so the introduction of “Kleanbore” and similar non-mercuric priming in the 20th century fixed that. Here’s good link to the story of how that came about.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/ballistics/priming-compounds-and-primers-introduction.html

Sharpshooter? No, not hardly. The only official qualification I have is with the 2” barrel Smith and Wesson revolver issued as part of our USAF survival kit when I was a young KC-135 pilot back in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s

The only qual was in OTS and I think it was 18 rounds at 15 feet with 12 hits or something like that on a man sized target. Not many failed, but we had a woman in our flight in Officer Training school and we weren’t so sure that she would qualify. The range was a bit “loose” and after several of us were pretty sure we had qualed, we kind of helped. I think she got something like 24 out of 18 - or something like that.

In any case it was 50 years ago and my grasp of the fine details might be hazy.

In any event, my skinny elegant Remington is my favorite 22 with a Marlin model 56 lever action as runner up. This is after trying about 10 different ones over the last couple of years.

So you all wouldn’t taking cover when she was firing? Lol
The M16 qual training I had was a joke.
Disn’t Like all the noise from the multiple guns firing either.
I hate pistols for this reason.

LH - I’m 71.

Cataracts from 20 years in Arabian Desert sun left me with new plastic lenses in both eyes - cornea replacement. Perfect focus from about 2.5 feet to infinity - clear as crystal. Receiver sight and a lovely small gold bead on the front make me deadly to 100 yards. since I don’t kill paper targets, it’s all I need.

As far a scopes for nailing ink at a couple of hundreds of yards go - I suspect my lowly - older than me Reminginton would do fine with about $1500 worth of German optics Shoe Gooded to the barrel. You might try it.
I only wish that I had my eyes rebuilt to like new. Astigmatism sucks!
When I was young, if I could see it I could hit it. Used to punch Pepsi bottle caps offhand @ 85yds (the total length of that particular range) with irons on a .50cal ML.

As I posted not too far back, I still have my Rem 513T w/globe front and adjustable aperture peep. I cut my teeth on a 513T in an NRA Youth League run by our local police when I was a kid, so I have a long love affair with that model. Shotgun primers (the original small-bore reactive targets) @ 50yds were a blast....literally.

And for years I hunted with a Rem 572 pump. No rabbits, squirrels, coons, opossum, or crows were safe if they were within sight. I still have that one too.

The RPR is something that I'm setting up for a different purpose, and so far it's doing what I'd hoped, but I'll know more after my next outing when I take it to 150 and 200yds.

The Athlon TALOS BTR 4-14x44 FFP W/APLR2 reticle that's on it didn't cost $1500 either. Quality-wise it's on par with a Vortex Razor, but for a lot less $$$.

So you all wouldn’t taking cover when she was firing? Lol
The M16 qual training I had was a joke.
Disn’t Like all the noise from the multiple guns firing either.
I hate pistols for this reason.

I made expert with a rifle (M-14) in basic. I didn't see an M-16 until the week before I left for Vietnam. A lot of men had never fired a gun before and I felt that they were more dangerous to us than the enemy. I got Sharpshooter with aa worn out .45. I missed expert by two points. No one had ever got expert on that range. It was go over grown you couldn't see the targets very well. I had three .45's at home and I could have made expert with any of them. I love .45s. Don't ever break down your weapon before the instructor tells you to. You might end up like I did going around and helping others.

I made expert with a rifle (M-14) in basic. I didn't see an M-16 until the week before I left for Vietnam. A lot of men had never fired a gun before and I felt that they were more dangerous to us than the enemy. I got Sharpshooter with aa worn out .45. I missed expert by two points. No one had ever got expert on that range. It was go over grown you couldn't see the targets very well. I had three .45's at home and I could have made expert with any of them. I love .45s. Don't ever break down your weapon before the instructor tells you to. You might end up like I did going around and helping others.

Thanks for your service.

Lol, you probably got over there earlier than I did. I took basic with the M16, than went to Ft. Rucker, Alabama for helicopter mechanic school and the last week got just a bit of M14 training. Went to Vietnam and there were M14's in a rack in each hooch. After about 3 months the 14's got replaced by M16's which were now kept locked up in a metal storage unit just outside HQ. We had to sign out for them for the times we had guard duty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

After about 3 months the 14's got replaced by M16's which were now kept locked up in a metal storage unit just outside HQ. We had to sign out for them for the times we had guard duty.

After being up north, I was assigned to Division Headquarters after I got out of the hospital. I was used to having my rifle with me all of the time but there I had to turn it in to the supply room since I was now a clerk. When I got guard duty I went to check out my rifle. They had given it away. "There's a machine gun in the bunker." I was told. I spent the night with a .45 that I had found in a drawer in my new office.

Baby RPR scored it's first kill today.

Rto629c.jpg

@ about 45yds it was a chip-shot.
I've been shooting @ 250yds, so this wasn't even close to a challenge, it was only pest control.

Nice setup man! Varmint control can be a great time.
Thanks!
The Ruger Precision Rimfire is a hoot to shoot, and with the ammo it likes I've been shooting a 6" round plate @ 250yds on a tall bipod in the sitting position. Now that's a challenge with a .22LR, especially for a wobbly old man. :lol: I'll shoot it at longer range yet, but I'll have to go over to the neighbor's farm because 250yds is the longest distance I've got on my range at home.

Taking care of the pest was strictly business. That bugger had dug several holes under the wall of my little barn, and had a den dug in the floor. She had to GO! I almost got a crack at her the day before, but one of my mares got too close to her grazing and spooked her off.
She was a pretty big one. About 25" nose to tail, and I estimate about 12lbs....maybe a tad more.

Here’s a target shot with my 455 and lilja varmimt sporter barrel 22lr.
Distance 80 yards.
Winds light and variable. Mostly a head wind though.
Gun supported on front only with Hokie rest- I’ll show pic of it. I was standing.
Ammo wolf Match extra.
Btw after cleaning barrel well these shots are numbers 51-55 fired.
5 shots using bushnell elite 4200 at 10x on the mag.
Crosshair not a fine one either. Medium for thickness.
Not bad at all imo.
I’ll take this all day everyday say no matter what ammo I am shooting price wise.
Groups measured CTC 6/16 or 3/8 or .375.
No bedding of stock or action.
Does have aftermarket striker spring and yo Dave trigger kit in.
Synthetic stock sanded out with 17” pounds torque on action screws.

20az3np.jpg

e1ccja.jpg

This is the rest I used to shoot the above target.
Btw I did shoot 2 more groups at 80 at 2 small knot holes at 80 yards on wooden fence post.
Very similar groups as above.

Another btw.
This barrel has around 500 rounds through it.
Imo it just came into its own.
Only reason i say this other than it likes the wolf ammo now. Not so much as before.
But cleaning this barrle after 100-150 shots I notice barrel was progressively not as dirty looking at the patches. Not as much lead particles showing up on patches.
The first cleaning after 100 shots loads of lead particles on patches.
Also I am happy camper found almost a case of wolf match extra I forgot I had. Bought around 12 years ago. I sure bought it for a whole lot less then vs today’s prices.

So now I await hm2 barrel and see what it can do.

Last edited:
Here’s ten shots using same rest shot pretty fast.
Holding or trying to center on the dot.
Winds light and variable.
Wolf match extra.
Tempting to put nightforce new compact on. Need smaller reticle.
Group stayed inside of an inch.
Scope at 12x.
80 yards.
Don’t mind the holes shot from opposite direction.
Five of the shots made one hole. Figure slight right to left wind occasionally drifting to the left- confirmed with cirgarette smoke.

Scope not zeroed at 80 yards in vertical, just dialed up 4 moa and guessed and shot after zeroing at 45 yards a few days ago.
jh7v28.jpg

Picked up this barrel for my CZ 455 in a group buy. It’s a 17hm2. I love it. Nice little pest and small game performer. So far farthest pest or small game shot with it is 135 yards. Got the barrel this past Wednesday. Green up is here. So not detecting much. Playing with rimmie instead. Trying to keep my sharpshooting skills intact. Lol

bflu78.jpg

Nice group at an affordable price. I was surprised that the price of the rifle was not higher. I have been shooting a Ruger 77/22 for many years and it has accounted for more than its weight in squirrel. If I do my job correctly the squirrel has no idea what happened.

Bumping this old thread to show off what my wife got me for Christmas. A new HB Industries Chassis for my CZ 457 Pro Varmint. Basically converts it to a CZ 457 VPC which they apparently discontinued for whatever reason. Also installed a Timney trigger set at 10oz.

Anyone else get any gun stuff for Christmas?

CZ457-VPC.jpg

Nice set-up. Was browsing a gun shop so for Christmas I bought myself two new Savage Axis rifles for $199 each. Didn't need em but they were $199 :)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom