Building New Guts for Dead Metal Detector: Help wanted!

Zombo

Back when I was a kid (in the 70's, for those interested) my dad bought us a Jetco Mustang metal detector.

I still have it, but alas, it died years ago. (I recall opening it up several times to see if it was a simple wire/soldering issue. It wasn't.) I can't test parts, so it's dead for all intents and purposes.

I'm no electronic savvy person, but since the housing and coil are still good (I assume) I'd like to replace the guts and get it running again. I realize that if I'm lucky I may get it to penetrate 3-5 inches of soil.

I see LOTS of schematics out there, but I'd love to hear from some knowledgeable people about my best option to put some new electronics inside a dead detector. I figure I'm a step or two ahead since I have a coil, shaft and project box all ready.

Thanks very much!

(Chances are that I'll be looking for a decent entry level metal detector too, but I thought it may be fun to get the old Mustang back up and running!)

Mike.

Take a couple photos of the internals and post, someone may notice something fixable.

I think the main problem with his idea is each coil has to be tuned to the detector. So without an ossiciliscope and other fancy electronics gizmo's, I think this would be an impossible task.

I think the main problem with his idea is each coil has to be tuned to the detector. So without an ossiciliscope and other fancy electronics gizmo's, I think this would be an impossible task.

I think the MD'rs that you CAN CHANGE the coils on they don't need "to be tuned to the detector" as I'm pretty sure the impedance matching is already within the "coil" itself. HOWEVER, I do agree that without an oscilloscope (i.e. a "sillyscope") and other electronic equipment that "this would be an impossible task." POSSIBLY. Who knows for sure until you REALLY start looking into it? Pictures of the inside WOULD help. Hopefully just a loose wire, bad speaker, or a bad solder joint? Either way, good luck to you and HH \_

Now, I am NOT advertising for a different treasure hunting site!

I needed help with repairs to my circa '85 Tesoro Royal Sabre.

I found a link to the technical side side of detectors and received a great deal of help from the other forum...

Search for Geotech.....

If you are looking to replace the guts with a better performing detector than the Jetco was, look at the Harbor Freight detector. If you like the Jetco case and shaft better, you can use the circuit, control components and coil wire and coil. It may take some effort (not sure its worth it) to mount the board and controls, but from what I have been hearing lately, the Harbor Freight is a nice performing detector for under $50.

Back
Top Bottom