Packing detector for flights

Casper

2 people asked me about taking detectors on planes - so I thought I post this to maybe help them. Actually after my last trip I wish I had taken pics of how I pack for a detecting plane trip - I'm going to take pics and show everything I pack and how I pack for a trip this time and will post that in a separate post right before I go.

The 3 machines that I mix and match usually to take on a trip are my XLT, my CZ20 and my PI Pro. The Xlt has it's own carrying case and so does the CZ20 - so that's easy. The Pi Pro I breakdown - the the box headphones and coil are all connected - I carry those in a cheap plastic with foam padding pistol carrying case - with it I put my digital camera and cell phone and any chargers i may need. I carry both this case and my CZ20 as carry on. I have flown just about every US carrier and have never had a problem. I had one new attendant that told me the CZ20 case was to long - but then I pointed out the 10 people standing around me that had huge bags and small luggage that was bigger than my case that they were trying to take on and then I walked away. I usually take 2-3 trips a year and have been doing that for the last 11 years and always take at least one machine with me - but usually always 2 - I beleive in always taking back ups. I try and take 2 machines, 2 cameras, 2 sets of mask & snorkels, 2 sets of dive socks & boots, I load my machines with fresh batteries and take extras - I try and take 2 scoops - 1 large and 1 medium. I have a Samsonite hard plastic suitcase that all of my accessory gear goes in - I put some towels on the bottom and on top before closing for padding and to stop excessive rattling. I pack the long rod for my PI Pro in with this case and usually bring extra lower rod parts just in case ( I broke one once). I bring thin dive gloves, a dive knife, 2 mesh bags w/belts, small plastic containers to put finds in, a pen & pad to log finds daily, I bring 2 small screw drivers & a small wrench and lately have even been bringing a small hammer because I always have to fight to get my rods apart because of salt and sand when breaking down for trip home. I bring some electrical water proof tape and a handful of zip ties so if I have to do any small quicky fixes and make sure I bring some high protection sunscreen and bandaids. Depending where I'm going I may throw in a shorty wet suit, but usually I just wear a sleeveless shirt under a sweatshirt and bathing shorts. The sweatshirt keeps the sun off my shoulders and arms and adds some warmth and also keeps the jellyfish off you - I remember one time I was hunting with a guy with no shirt on and we hit a huge school of big ones and he got hammered by them - I had my sweatshirt and gloves on and only got an occasional zap on the leg. I'm sure I might be forgeting a few things. I also bring any and all maps, books and research I might need.

Hope this might help some of you out there.

THANKS

Thanks you were a big help as to this will be my first trip with my MD. I can only hopre my finds are just as half as good as yours are HH.
L.I.Mike

Back
Top Bottom