Generous offer...no more acls/milks!!!

got out to the spot today. Beelined for the rocks/bricks/metal/hole. Friend id'd them as Model A parts. His dad builds them from the ground up so I figured he was close to knowing what he was talking about. Was a bit slow going....pick a couple rocks and bricks...pull on metal, loosen 4 more rocks, get metal out, move rocks.

Heard someone talking while we were clearing out and turned around and saw the guy who owns the field behind where we're digging on the phone. Spoke with him a bit and he gave us permission to dig anywhere on his land we want.

He's been looking for a well there for quite some time and that morning we had found what looks like a well cap, or a privy cap..or a foundation corner. All of the foundation corners we've found were smooth rock with a brick/mortar pad on top of it level to the ground.... this was made of bricks and mortar 2' high and 4'x4'. On top of the bricks was a same sized slab. and on top of that slab was a slab much smaller. 6" high, 2'x2'. So no idea if that's a cistern or a privy. Didn't have the big 7' prybar with us to crack it open.

We walked back to his motor home and he told us that he pushed the debris from the bunkhouse into the privy site we were cleaning out. He said that hole was there when he pushed dirt etc.. over it...so we just have to keep peeling back the slop to get to the goods....

He also showed us the general direction of a "rectangle area with wooden boards and debris collapsed. Which would put it behind the commons bldg that used to sit there... We never found it though...we almost fell (literally) into a dump on the way there. dump is 20'x20'and goes down a 3-5' slope on all sides. We spent a cpl hrs clearing out rusty cans and food bottles from the 40's before it was time to call it a day.

if it stays warm like it has, the creek will be dry by next weekend and I can go mud slopping and dig that bed up...

Wow your lucky I wish there was places and people like that here in NJ sadly there are not =( I've been trying to find old places that I could md or find old bottles here but there's nothing

small update.
A few weeks ago when we were digging near the hotel foundation, we met the guy who owns the land behind the hotel. he gave us permission to hunt all of his land and we ended up finding a dump with '40's stuff on top..

went back there yesterday 8/5 and saw that he had filled it in and dozed about 3acres all around the area. He saw us digging and brought his Kubota tractor/backhoe/front end loader over and dug it out for us. Best finds were a cut glass inkwell, a Dad's Rootbeer "mama" bottle (in excellent condition sells up near 100bucks) and a few conetop beer cans. Dug to the bottom and once we hit dirt for 3' w/o anything gave up. Just a '40's dump.

There's also an old outhouse pit somewhere near where we were at. The foliage is still waist high so we didn't spend all day looking for it. He said if he dozers near it, he'll leave it for us and mark it.

Went back to the hotel and found what's either a capped part of the sewer system or a corner support for the hotel. My bet is sewer. 10' away from it we found a 4x8' slab of cement and next to the slab we found 5'x5' cement liner (hollow inside) that was 3' deep. so we had the liner, clay sewer pipe going to that, the large slab with sewer pipe coming out both sides and the capped thing in a row. and coming out the side of the hill that this all sits on, we found some 4" clay sewer pipe. So thinking that bldg had some indoor plumbing of some sort (there were 3 bldgs to this hotel).

Left the hotel and hit the creek again. The water is only 3" deep now, but the mud is still roughly 1'. I started probing with a shovel and digging out the muck and found 1 bottle (1930's whiskey) and quite a few older shards. Going out there in a cpl weeks to see if it dries up anymore and going to dam it up and shovel the muck out a few feet at a time so I can hit solid bottom and dig that. pretty excited about that now that we've found a bottle and shards...

found another place to dig on accident. Was looking at the old RR tracks as we drove home and was checking out some of the insulators on the old wire poles and spotted an old stone train trestle/bridge. Huge arch over an almost dried out creekbed. Going to hit that place also...

will update in a few weeks when we get the chance to clean out the creek and dig...

Back
Top Bottom