Has anyone coated the AT Pro 8.5 x 11 coil?

clearwatermike

Elite Member
I was concerned because the coil cover does not completely "cup" the coil in the center part. Sure enough, after an hour test drive at the beach, a surprising amount of sand had worked it's way in there. I'd like to apply a double coat of marine epoxy to protect the coil. I can't find any images of this coil epoxy coated. Has anyone done it?

I have coated the AT gold 5"x 8" coil with truck bed liner spray coated it 5 times. Just make sure that the truck bed liner spray has no metallic particles in it. Works well for me.

I've read of people putting silicon in the coil cover then snapping it on, wiping off the excess. One it sets it seals the cover to the coil and prevent dirt from getting in. The cover can be removed and the residue removed from the coil with no permanent effect to the coil. Thinking of doing it to my coils since the covers seem to only be able to be removed for cleaning so many times before they crack.

I've read of people putting silicon in the coil cover then snapping it on, wiping off the excess. One it sets it seals the cover to the coil and prevent dirt from getting in. The cover can be removed and the residue removed from the coil with no permanent effect to the coil. Thinking of doing it to my coils since the covers seem to only be able to be removed for cleaning so many times before they crack.

This sounds like a very practical option. Might just have to try it on my stock coil.

I've decided to apply a double coat of marine epoxy to the coil. That should protect the bottom of the coil from abrasion. For some added protection against side impacts with rocks, I'm salvaging the outer rim part of the coil cover, which will also be coated.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 258
Plasticote

I shot my larger ATP coil with black Plasticote. It is kind of thin so it took about 6 coats to build up enough. Have used it about 2 years with no problems although I have not used it in jagged rocky areas. About ready to give it a few more coats. If I had to do it all over I would use a bed liner type of coating that was thicker from the start. I can't argue with the use I have gotten from the Plasticote though!.......RK

Back
Top Bottom