How to Clean brass buttons

Because buttons come in many different metal compositions , there is no one method that works best for all of them .

The part about not getting the button wet doesn't make much sense , whats the reason ??

Items in the ground are subjected to repeated moisture on and off , getting a brass button wet after it is recovered from the ground isn't going to hurt it at least it hasn't hurt the thousands of ones i've found .

Aluminum jelly , lemon juice , CLR , naval jelly are all good chemicals to use on buttons , and even warm water and a brass brush will work on some with out any harm .

The part about not getting the button wet doesn't make much sense , whats the reason ??

Items in the ground are subjected to repeated moisture on and off , getting a brass button wet after it is recovered from the ground isn't going to hurt it at least it hasn't hurt the thousands of ones i've found .

Aluminum jelly , lemon juice , CLR , naval jelly are all good chemicals to use on buttons , and even warm water and a brass brush will work on some with out any harm .

This is why I do not frequent the forums much anymore. Everyone has an opinion, and it always ends in an argument. Continue cleaning your buttons with CLR, and Naval Jelly, and continue destroying your patina. Good luck in your future relic cleanings. end of conversation

Wasn't arguing with you .... was just inquiring what the reason was is all , I hope you develop a thicker skin at some point .

Back
Top Bottom