advice on this sterling buckle please

Skoivu

Found this buckle that is stamped Sterling but has a tight crust or layer of something on it.

Looked online for suggestions and tried toothpaste with toothbrush, then hot baking soda with water and tinfoil. Those methods barely got anything off.

Any other suggestions? I dont have electrolysis and wouldnt trust myself with it even if i did.

Thanks!

Attachments

• rsz_img_1086.jpg
    rsz_img_1086.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 220
looks like it was in the water for a while. any old silver i have ever found that has been in the water for a long time (coin, spoon, etc.) looks exactly like that.

Congrats on your silver buckle find. You can always try the hot peroxide method to get the black off. I think there's some youtube videos on how to go about it. : ) So glad to see you back at it, Buddy! Good luck on future hunts.

cleaning

Try this--Get a piece of alum foil--- get shiny side wet-- get buckle wet-apply shiny side to buckle--rub with fingers --pressing the foil into detail on buckle-if silver it will get hot!! After it cools down-- rub with some baking soda mixed with water to form a paste-- and rinse!! Tony AZ:cool:

Back
Top Bottom