Questions for headstamp cleaning

remmy

Forum Supporter
I have over 100 headstamps that I plan to clean up over the winter. I am curious if I should remove the stuff remaining inside the head (basewad I guess). Also, I have quite a few that the ring has deteriorated and is falling off of the face or missing. Does this make them worthless if rare or is the disk with the writing worth keeping?

Thank you for any input
Ron

I poke the dirt out a bit under running water but I try not to mess with whatever remaining cardboard there is. I don't think headstamps are worth anything monetarily so don't worry about that. To clean the metal part I just scrape at the base with a caprisun straw under warm water.

Lemon juice will turn it a dull reddish color... I'd use soap, water, toothbrush if you really want to care for it... for me, cleaning is easy, just dump pouch in trashcan since they have no value. :cool:

I do have a few that are rare I keep, but other than that, it's scrapssss

I get asked this question quite a bit and it is actually a very hard question for me to answer as each headstamp is different. I have to attempt to see the integrity of the metal before I do anything to it.

If it is very fragile, all I do is to use a soft dry toothbrush and toothpicks to get enough of the dirt off to identify it. At that point, I leave it alone.

If the metal is strong, I will go to a fingernail brush and brush the dirt off of it.

From this point I will either leave it alone or get it wet and use a wet toothbrush to remove all of the rest of the gunk.

The tumbler will work great on the very strong ones. It can destroy fragile ones though.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom