Rings #37,38 Gold & Silver... and a MORGAN DOLLAR!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
What a fantastic hunt, this evening.

Went out with my son to a set of local soccer fields. My son elected to leave his detector and go for some bass at the park pond, instead, which left all 27 full sized soccer fields to me! (yeah, like I could EVER cover that).

I've hit this park a few times, and have always been hopeful for some gold, but never have I pulled any out... Tonight's hunt went from Awesome to awesomer, then to "icing on the cake."

Started with a slow run with pennies, a dime, a nickel, two quarters, and a few bits of trash. I know this park HAS to be hit by some locals, as it's always too clean, so I try to do a 50/50 between standard hot spots, and then some randomness thrown in. Tonight was bonus time on the randomness.

First ring (gold, 14K 4.62 grams), came about an hour in, was a SOLID 53 signal on the AT max and came out of the ground at a depth of about 4.5 inches. Surprised the heck out of me. I really wasn't paying that much attention (was just happy to be out), and figured it was a pull tab.

Link for those who cannot see it embedded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNENAPFSNo

Second great find of the night was... a MORGAN DOLLAR! 1921. Absolutely had to be a Ref toss-coin, that was dropped just inside the lines. Was flat in the ground about 3" down, completely under the roots. Has to have been there a few years. What a day that must have been for that poor ref! Long grass can be a MDer's friend. :) I couldn't hardly believe it, when I popped the plug. I actually HAD a video of it, or at least thought I did. When I sent the video to people, I got some funny comments back. I discovered that my "finger" had not pushed the RECORD button to start with, only when I stopped it! Stupid gloves! As a result, I completely missed the recovery on the video, and only have a silly video of me pointing the camera at the coin laying on the grass with the gold ring I'd tossed on it, (and some change out of the pouch, using gloved fingers). That's what the picture is below. A silly moment, but I'd rather have the coin and memory, than not! When I got started in the hobby, I wondered if I'd ever come across one in a sports field. Well, there it is. I've got a Morgan!

Final find of the day was the 925 silver ring. Also rang up nicely, and was going to video it, but there were a bunch of people watching, and I didn't want to draw a crowd.

Fun hunt, for sure. Gold and Silver rings, and big silver dollar! Woot!

This is gold #2 for the year... I'm off to a slow start, but I've not been detecting much. Looking forward to the summer!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_4695(2).jpg
    IMG_4695(2).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_4693(2).JPG
    IMG_4693(2).JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 435
WOW, great hunt and finds. Congratulations. And welcome to the silver dollar club !!!!!!!

WOW, great hunt and finds. Congratulations. And welcome to the silver dollar club !!!!!!!

SWEET! I hadn't considered the club. The best part of being in the club (for those who don't know) is the water closet. The loo is gold plated, I hear. So looking forward to THAT game of thrones.. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

A Morgan dollar and a huge 14k gold ring in one hunt is out of this world fantastic. I thrilled for you! That's going to be hard to top!

beephead

Great hunt! Gold wedding band and silver dollar are bucket listers for me. Wish you had pushed record on that silver dollar recovery! Thanks for posting. I always enjoy your finds. Amazing!

Awesome finds!!! Makes me excited to get out there this weekend. The family and I are camping for a night at a fishing hole that has been camped and fished for years. I never even thought about it as an option but since it's off the beaten path I have my fingers crossed I will be loaded. :D

WOW!! Congratulations Skippy!!!

What a fantastic hunt, this evening.

Went out with my son to a set of local soccer fields. My son elected to leave his detector and go for some bass at the park pond, instead, which left all 27 full sized soccer fields to me! (yeah, like I could EVER cover that).

I've hit this park a few times, and have always been hopeful for some gold, but never have I pulled any out... Tonight's hunt went from Awesome to awesomer, then to "icing on the cake."

Started with a slow run with pennies, a dime, a nickel, two quarters, and a few bits of trash. I know this park HAS to be hit by some locals, as it's always too clean, so I try to do a 50/50 between standard hot spots, and then some randomness thrown in. Tonight was bonus time on the randomness.

First ring (gold, 14K 4.62 grams), came about an hour in, was a SOLID 53 signal on the AT max and came out of the ground at a depth of about 4.5 inches. Surprised the heck out of me. I really wasn't paying that much attention (was just happy to be out), and figured it was a pull tab.

Link for those who cannot see it embedded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNENAPFSNo

Second great find of the night was... a MORGAN DOLLAR! 1921. Absolutely had to be a Ref toss-coin, that was dropped just inside the lines. Was flat in the ground about 3" down, completely under the roots. Has to have been there a few years. What a day that must have been for that poor ref! Long grass can be a MDer's friend. :) I couldn't hardly believe it, when I popped the plug. I actually HAD a video of it, or at least thought I did. When I sent the video to people, I got some funny comments back. I discovered that my "finger" had not pushed the RECORD button to start with, only when I stopped it! Stupid gloves! As a result, I completely missed the recovery on the video, and only have a silly video of me pointing the camera at the coin laying on the grass with the gold ring I'd tossed on it, (and some change out of the pouch, using gloved fingers). That's what the picture is below. A silly moment, but I'd rather have the coin and memory, than not! When I got started in the hobby, I wondered if I'd ever come across one in a sports field. Well, there it is. I've got a Morgan!

Final find of the day was the 925 silver ring. Also rang up nicely, and was going to video it, but there were a bunch of people watching, and I didn't want to draw a crowd.

Fun hunt, for sure. Gold and Silver rings, and big silver dollar! Woot!

This is gold #2 for the year... I'm off to a slow start, but I've not been detecting much. Looking forward to the summer!

Skippy

I would have to imagine that is your greatest one day hunt to date!
Huge congratulations and welcome to the Silver Dollar Club:yes:

Welcome to the silver dollar club, not that I'm a member, but welcome to the club:laughing:

Epic Skippy... totally epic. I hope more coin flippers start carrying Morgan’s! :lol:

Morgan, gold and 925 just awesome! Congrats and nice work!

Dang Skippy! We know you're a ring bloodhound, but that soccer field Morgan is a shocker! Glad to see you back at it.

yeah, work has been a bear this year. I still go out, and find a ring or two every hunt, but I've not been going out 5 times a week. I've gotten out a whopping 5 times all month (three in the last week!) Looking forward to work slowing down and taking a little "me" time in the parks.

Wow! I figured you'd be showing up soon with something...But Man! Thats really SOMETHING! Congratulations Skip!

Thanks Mud. I do love the sports fields. I find the craziest coin flip coins. Stuff from all over the world. Never a silver one though. This is a first!

Back
Top Bottom