Thought I had a gold coin

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Seeing this, would it get your heart going ? So, although being able to get out the last couple of weeks when weather permitted nothing much to report. Sat. I decided to do a cold door knock on an 1850s house I have had my eye on for awhile. The lady was very friendly, we chatted for at least a half hour or so, she said sure and wished me good luck and to keep whatever I find. Front yard north to south, very few signals at all, a couple of memorial pennies, a dime or two. Lack of any iffy signals had me thinking maybe the Equinox was off. I could hear iron but not much else. Switched direction, corner to corner, now I started getting signals, A clad quarter,4 dimes, couple of nickels and 17 pennies, not a wheatie in the bunch. I had one deeper signal turned up an 1893 IH at about 8ins. And also a small locket came in a solid 31 around 7 or 8 in.

Mon. I go back, start an east- west search, I did manage 4 wheaties, a couple of nickles, some more clad including the cursed 65 quarter and dime. A 52 dogtag, a couple cars. Now I had a loud scratchy 23-24-25, thats a shallow twist cap all day long, dug it, it looked like a brass colored smashed cap. Threw it in the trash pouch. When I got home I dumped the pouch out and I saw the reed on the edge, I said wait a minute, Oh man, what da ? I was giddy for a little while thinkin I had dug a gold coin. Cleaned it up, thought for sure I joined the gold coin club. After a litle google come to find its a worthless 100 peso. Big surprise--Big let down. Oh well I guess I'll throw it in with the rest of my tokens. For and old yard, really clean and lack of old targets I'm thinkin its been hit before.

Last couple of hunts I did manage silver # 5, my first Merc fty, also my first Buff fty. Another war nickle, A couple tokens, some odds and ends and a pretty old lookin cool decorative piece, its two sided and can't tell how it would attached to anything. Any help ?

Last two pics I've been meaning to post, a little cabin fever project. Last year my kids got me a small display box, around 12x18. So instead of having tokens laying around in box or drawer somewhere I decided to display them. I took a strip of usb powered led lights and mounted them inside the rim of the lid and now once what would have be consigned to the dark forever comes to light every time I turn on the computer on. Ya know, funny thing, as you get older you get forgetful but I remember where I dug every one of those. I do love this hobby. Thanks for looking and HH Mark

Attachments

• 20180418_174309.jpg
    20180418_174309.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-29-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-29-27.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-24-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-24-04.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 475
  • Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-23-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-23-07.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 465
  • 20180416_151142.jpg
    20180416_151142.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-25-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-18-20-25-46.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 20180416_131224.jpg
    20180416_131224.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 488
  • 20180416_131525.jpg
    20180416_131525.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 20180402_121417.jpg
    20180402_121417.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 487
  • 20180402_121548.jpg
    20180402_121548.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 494
Thats a bummer. I had a similar thing happen to me - those darn foreign coins throw me sometimes and get the heart racing.

It may not be worthless. I haven't been to Mexico in a long time and I have no real urge to go back but I remember getting some really good tacos from a street stand in Mexico City for a few pesos. They were simple and good.

Some nice finds

Congrats on some nice finds Mark. I have an old site just waiting for me. It's raining here today so I'm not hunting it until tomorrow. I have had really bad luck detecting old sites lately. Sure hope I can scratch out something on the site mentioned. I seem to find a lot of clads but not silvers. HH and good luck to you. Keep Swinging.
Bubbaron ( the old guy ) NOX 600, AT Pro, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

Sorry the big letdown with the Peso. :( Congrats on the other finds though. Hopefully the weather improves soon for us so we can get out more. I'm off to a slow start and don't have much to show for my efforts so far this year.

Thanks

It may not be worthless. I haven't been to Mexico in a long time and I have no real urge to go back but I remember getting some really good tacos from a street stand in Mexico City for a few pesos. They were simple and good.

They were demonetized in 2014. HH Mark

Bubba thanks,

Congrats on some nice finds Mark. I have an old site just waiting for me. It's raining here today so I'm not hunting it until tomorrow. I have had really bad luck detecting old sites lately. Sure hope I can scratch out something on the site mentioned. I seem to find a lot of clads but not silvers. HH and good luck to you. Keep Swinging.
Bubbaron ( the old guy ) NOX 600, AT Pro, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

I know what you're sayin' The two old sites I thought would be my best permissions of the year turned out very little. Both built in 1850, the first one I got a small beer token and now this one gives up one IH and an old locket. Oh ya one worn older lookin wheatie. The others from the 40s and 50s. Glad to see your enjoying the Equinox. HH Mark

Thanks

:lol::lol::lol: Those darn things show up everywhere! Great finds otherwise, I like the tokens!

I always get a big smile on my face when I dig a token. There are millions of coins that were minted but only limited numbers when it comes to tokens, so saving that little piece of history is always sweet. HH Mark

Thank you sir,

Sorry the big letdown with the Peso. :( Congrats on the other finds though. Hopefully the weather improves soon for us so we can get out more. I'm off to a slow start and don't have much to show for my efforts so far this year.

Fred, I hear ya, this has been a strange year so far, between the weather, the silver count is way down. Just a slow start all the way around. Then yesterday when I got home and saw that coin I was on cloud nine. Couldn't wait to post and let Tom in CA. know we just don't have large coppers here. Oh well I've eaten crow before. lol We do need to meet up soon, whaddaya think? HH Mark

Fred, I hear ya, this has been a strange year so far, between the weather, the silver count is way down. Just a slow start all the way around. Then yesterday when I got home and saw that coin I was on cloud nine. Couldn't wait to post and let Tom in CA. know we just don't have large coppers here. Oh well I've eaten crow before. lol We do need to meet up soon, whaddaya think? HH Mark

That would be great to show Tom in CA an east coast gold coin! I've been occasionally hitting a spot near where you work that has potential. I've pulled two silvers and a lot of wheats out of this spot. Perhaps we can join up for a hunt there when you get off work one of these days?

I found one of those 100 peso coins a while back and had that gold feeling for a very short time:lol:

Back
Top Bottom