Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default T-handle or no T-handle?

I'm looking for a new shovel....currently I use a KellyCo Gator edge digger, but I want to have something that will help me get a bit deeper and cleaner plugs.

I like the Lesche Sampson or the Predator 55 or 25, but haven't been sold on it yet. There are so many choices out there, serrated, non-serrated, t-handle, ball handle, D-handle, etc. There are the mini shovels, the 31" shovels....


If I wanted to stay under 90 bucks, what would be your personal suggestions?

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 AM
tnsharpshooter's Avatar
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 8,089
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I'm looking for a new shovel....currently I use a KellyCo Gator edge digger, but I want to have something that will help me get a bit deeper and cleaner plugs.

I like the Lesche Sampson or the Predator 55 or 25, but haven't been sold on it yet. There are so many choices out there, serrated, non-serrated, t-handle, ball handle, D-handle, etc. There are the mini shovels, the 31" shovels....


If I wanted to stay under 90 bucks, what would be your personal suggestions?
I won't give a recommendation shovel model wise. But will say if cleaner plugs are your intent, stay away from shovels with serration on both sides of blade.
They make nastier looking cuts in soil.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Minelab XS Explorer, 2-Xp
Deus
, Nokta Impact,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
I won't give a recommendation shovel model wise. But will say if cleaner plugs are your intent, stay away from shovels with serration on both sides of blade.
They make nastier looking cuts in soil.
Thanks for the advice...cleaner plugs are always my intent

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 3,069
Default

I have several and can give you some thoughts based on my experience.

For me, the shortened versions of the T-Handles are OK for hunting in parks and places where you want to be inconspicuous. For hunting any other place, I prefer the full length shovels since the whole point of a long handled shovel (IMO) is to get you off your knees and into a comfortable upright digging position.

I prefer T-Handle over Ball Handle. Its easier on the hand IMHO.

As for types and designs of long handled shovels, I've owned and used several different ones. To me, the Sampson's blade is just a bit too short and narrow. On the other hand, the blade on the Predator Tools Ranger is just a little too large for the type of digging I do. I found perfection in the Predator Tools model 55 Barracuda. Blade is longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not as big as the blade on the Ranger. Unlike the Sampson, it has a fairly wide area to put your foot on, so that it doesn't tear a hole in the bottom of your shoe when you're driving it into the ground. Love it. The only changes I made were shortening the handle by a few inches & repainted it orange to be more visible.

Left to right in the image below:
1st one is a shovel that I built, 2nd is the Model 55 Barracuda, last one is the 31" Sampson.
Attached Images
 

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | EQU|NOX800 | XP DĒUS | PRO-POINTER AT | PRO-FIND 35

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Surf Master's Avatar
Surf Master Surf Master is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mid Atlantic Beach
Posts: 11,626
Default T Handle

The only way to go girl.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM
jerr-man's Avatar
jerr-man jerr-man is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 3,800
Default

Check out White's new Ground Hawg. Very reasonably priced. I have them in stock and they are SWEET.

__________________
http://antiquesdetectors.com
2016 TOTALS 39 SILVERS, 22 IHP, 1 "V",12 rings
2017 TOTALS 24 SILVERS, 18 IHP, 3 "V", 3 RINGS,
2018 TOTALS 33 SILVERS, 12 IHP, 30 Wheats, 3 RINGS
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM
flyguy784 flyguy784 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 1,207
Default

Definitely Tee handle. When you're beat, all you have to do is lean on it.

__________________
MineLab CTX 3030, Fischer 1236-X2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lecsh digger and Sampson T handle.

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by flyguy784 View post
Definitely Tee handle. When you're beat, all you have to do is lean on it.


LOL...I'll be doing a lot of leaning then....I'm ancient...

thanks for all the advice guys...that ground hawg is looking good, and the price is right

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 PM
FWest FWest is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Maine
Posts: 40
Default

Take a look at grave digger tools. A little more weight but very strong. Used my Nemesis last weekend in the woods , cut through roots without issue and could really lean on it without fear of bending. Seriously rugged tools.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Wloch248 Wloch248 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SE MI
Posts: 333
Default

Another vote for T handle
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:45 PM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by FWest View post
Take a look at grave digger tools. A little more weight but very strong. Used my Nemesis last weekend in the woods , cut through roots without issue and could really lean on it without fear of bending. Seriously rugged tools.


I like the grave digger tools, but they're out of stock for all but one...

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 PM
hoser's Avatar
hoser hoser is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Grayling, MI.
Posts: 3,970
Default

I like the control of the T handle the best.

__________________
Minelab ETrac, Minelab Exterra 705, Garrett AtPro,Fisher F2, Fisher F5, Garrett ProPointer (3)Garrett Carrot PP, Vibra-Probe560 PP. I'll stop detecting when they run out of DIRT!

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:10 PM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I like the grave digger tools, but they're out of stock for all but one...


I emailed Eric about the availability and got a response in minutes..I responded to him and he responded again within an hour...DEFINITELY leaning towards the Grave Digger tools based upon that.

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 AM
ugadigger's Avatar
ugadigger ugadigger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: JAWJA!
Posts: 2,106
Default

Originally Posted by jerr-man View post
Check out White's new Ground Hawg. Very reasonably priced. I have them in stock and they are SWEET.


X2


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
Mojave & Cleansweep with detectnix wireless

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM
adirondak5's Avatar
adirondak5 adirondak5 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Long Island , NY
Posts: 204
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I emailed Eric about the availability and got a response in minutes..I responded to him and he responded again within an hour...DEFINITELY leaning towards the Grave Digger tools based upon that.
I've dealt with Eric @ Grave Digger , he is very responsive and the tools themselves are very rugged . I'd buy from him again in a heart beat .

__________________
Herb

Equinox 600 / Garrett Carrot / RTG Pro / Grave Digger Nemisis & Sidekick

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 AM
kajunman's Avatar
kajunman kajunman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 392
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I emailed Eric about the availability and got a response in minutes..I responded to him and he responded again within an hour...DEFINITELY leaning towards the Grave Digger tools based upon that.
I have 2 of Eric's shovels. You won't bend them. The Nemesis is better for clean plugs. The Tombstone is great for the woods or huge fields where clean plugs are not as much of a concern. Either way you'll be happy with the products.

On top of that Eric is a great guy.

__________________
ACE 350 / F75 SE LTD / AT Max / 2 Deteknix Pinpointers / Garrett AT Pinpointer / Multiple coils for the 350 and F75.

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by kajunman View post
I have 2 of Eric's shovels. You won't bend them. The Nemesis is better for clean plugs. The Tombstone is great for the woods or huge fields where clean plugs are not as much of a concern. Either way you'll be happy with the products.

On top of that Eric is a great guy.
Thanks for the info...I'm thinking the Nemesis as well He has the "sugar grape" color one in stock (and that's the only one in stock) but I also really like the Ground Hawg and one of the sponsors offered me one at a great price. If I go with the Nemesis when they're back in stock I need to choose between the 27" and 36"...I can't seem to find the weight of the shovels online though...that will be a concern for an old fat guy like me.

decisions, decisions, decisions...

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 AM
adirondak5's Avatar
adirondak5 adirondak5 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Long Island , NY
Posts: 204
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
Thanks for the info...I'm thinking the Nemesis as well He has the "sugar grape" color one in stock (and that's the only one in stock) but I also really like the Ground Hawg and one of the sponsors offered me one at a great price. If I go with the Nemesis when they're back in stock I need to choose between the 27" and 36"...I can't seem to find the weight of the shovels online though...that will be a concern for an old fat guy like me.

decisions, decisions, decisions...
My 36" Nemisis is 4lbs , they are heavier than other brands . I don't think its overly heavy , it is built like a tank . I went with the 36" so I don't have to bend when cutting a plug .

__________________
Herb

Equinox 600 / Garrett Carrot / RTG Pro / Grave Digger Nemisis & Sidekick

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,153
Default

Originally Posted by adirondak5 View post
My 36" Nemisis is 4lbs , they are heavier than other brands . I don't think its overly heavy , it is built like a tank . I went with the 36" so I don't have to bend when cutting a plug .
Awesome...thanks for the info. That's significantly heavier than the Ground Hawg, but 4 pounds isn't bad...

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Cherokee747's Avatar
Cherokee747 Cherokee747 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Posts: 67
Default

Sampson T-Handle !!!!!!!

__________________
AT Pro...Garrett Carrot...Sampson...Lesche...Stock Coil....5x8....Nel Storm

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.