Show us your high karat gold!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Sitting here bored so I thought this might be fun and especially interesting to the newbies.
This is about gold, but not just any kind but the really rare stuff where the karat number starts with the number 2 in our system or a 9 in foreign countries.

Some gold info I have learned....
The world does not think the same about this metal at all.

In Canada, Austrailia, Germany and probably a few other countries 9k seems to be a standard form and common.
They have more pure types too but 9k meets the minimum standard for gold in those countries.

In the USA the standard here is 10k, all kinds are sold but we find a lot of the 10k stuff here because it is so popular.
Many other countries probably think the same about 10k gold.

In Asian countries, the middle east and in India it is a whole other attitude about the yellow stuff.
There 22-24k is the thing, there might be lower karat gold available but if it isn't high karat it is dismissed most of the time.
Funny to think that someone would turn up their nose at 10 or 14k but they do...even 18k is considered too low class to purchase or wear by most.
10-14 and 18k jewelry is garbage...hard to fathom that in our way of thinking.

We find all kinds here but the 10-14k range is the most common we see posted on the forums.
I have seem several 18k items, even a 9k once in awhile but every so often we see a member that found higher than that 18k post a pic.
They might have that numbered karat mark that foreign countries use which is different than ours which is a sure sign it came from somewhere else.
Some are old and might not have a mark...worn off because these are actual heirlooms that go back decades and have been worn for many years.
Most that have seen these 22-24k pieces notice they don't exactly look like the lower karat everyday stuff...it is softer, maybe still shiny but in a little different way...buttery is a common term we use around here.
If you have never seen gold like this in real life I hope you do one day...you actually can see a difference.

So I have been lucky enough to find almost 3 dozen gold targets in my career, the bulk has been 10k, several 14k, I have yet to find anything marked 18k but that's ok because I found two that go higher.
Not on the beach that might have foreign visitors but in the dirt so I was blessed to find either.

This is a 22k ring marked 916 and with the Indian name Neena so no question about where this one originated.

22k.jpg

This one was a mystery for years and it has an actual natural pearl...not cultured.
It had that buttery look, it is really soft because those prongs bend very easily but no marks because I suspect this is so old they just wore off.
Several years after I found it I finally got a gold testing kit and it tested fine at 22k...but that is as high as my test kit goes.
I believe this is actually 24k because all the clues are there.

P1040300.jpg P1040295.jpg

So if you have some really high karat gold jewelry finds pics please post them here, looking forward to that.
Brag a little, even in our community this type of metal is a rare find
Most of the time these are pretty beautiful pieces...most don't use really high karat gold to make plain looking jewelry.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just one piece for me. And it's not a great picture. I pulled this off a Tel-Aviv beach. Thought it was a kid bangle, till I got home and tested it. My son called it immediately, at the airport. He flat out said, "oh, Dad. this is 22K" It had the right heft, but I was hesitant, until I could find a marking. It was there, but well worn.

I had it refined, and the refining came out to exactly 22K, so it was legit. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• bangle.jpg
    bangle.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 416
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 415
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 423
Hopeing for gold one day!!! I have on ocassion about twice dug the gold foils to chocolate.The ones you know the chocolate coins and about cried with joy each time! Thinking man a gold coin or a gold piece! So it ended up that I cried in disappointment :laughing:!! My highest gold found (still pending) Happy Hunting! Nice yellow gang!

MetalHead

Bunch of cheapskate here in southwest Kansas. Luck if finding 14k. I have found 1 18k and 2 platinum rings, but hey, it took 40+ years to do it.

All this was found in just three months with my DFX. But all 10-14k

frstqtrgold.jpg

22k Phatty,Rang up as a solid 1236 on the CTX I was sure it was just another penny and even walked away from it.Glad i turned back and decided to dig it.Wonder how many good targets i walked away from in the past.Havn't left a penny behind since...

Attachments

• 20161027_075137.jpg
    20161027_075137.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 256
My two. One in the left is Italian 750, white and yellow, one on the right is not marked karat, has interesting stamping lettering never could make heads or tails out of it. It's over 18k maybe 22. That's all I got high K.

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpg
    IMG_9940.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 260
Of all the gold i've found, i STILL haven't gotten my coil over anything better than 14k. Drives me nuts! I let other people borrow my spare excal and they find 18k but I don't. :laughing:

Bunch of cheapskate here in southwest Kansas. Luck if finding 14k. I have found 1 18k and 2 platinum rings, but hey, it took 40+ years to do it.

All this was found in just three months with my DFX. But all 10-14k

frstqtrgold.jpg

Good grief, that's a lot of religious medals. What environment are you finding those? Parks? Swimming holes?

Awesome.

2 1/2 Oz of 666 brass count?

I know its not 'High K' but it was a pretty hefty find I thought the readership might find interesting....

A few years back, with the AtPro out in the cold dark waters of Lake Michigan...well before sunup, hunting along with no lights, just diddling along in a trough, stock 8x11 coil, blue phones....Hit what sounded like a couple of pulltabs or a stainless steel hose clamp and scooped up this strange chain object....

By feel alone I knew it was not a dog collar, but I had no idea what it could be...So I tucked it up inside the scoop arm sleeve of my Underarmour long shirt (Poor Mans Wetsuit) that I used as my finds pouch and it settled itself nicely into the elbow area along with various pennies and dimes and whatnot and kept on hunting for something of value...

But, every time I tried to dig another target, lowered my arm, that damn thing would come tumbling out of my sleeve like a buttery snake and fall back into the Lake! It got frustrating trying to hunt with that heavy chain constantly dribbling out and dragging all my precious clad along with it!...:mad:.

I guess thats the point of this post...get a decent finds bag or something other than poking things up into a sleeve, and maybe carry a small light? Anyway, heres some pictures...2 1/2 oz of 666 brass toilet chain or some other damn amalgam...Clearly made in China of course...

Ashamed to say, I sold it to a jeweler for $150...I dont like to take advantage of people, but hell, I got to put gas in the car, and he seemed happy with the deal...said his toilet chain just broke that very morning and didnt want to leave the shop to go get a new one, plus hiring a plumber would cost him at least that amount...

Thinking back, He definitely needed a working toilet close by, on account of he pooped his pants when I agreed to the deal....What a dummy! I would have gladly sold it for $10 and installed it for him even! :laughing:

Attachments

• sept 8 13-1.jpg
    sept 8 13-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Sept 8 13.jpg
    Sept 8 13.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 235
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 236
I know its not 'High K' but it was a pretty hefty find I thought the readership might find interesting....

A few years back, with the AtPro out in the cold dark waters of Lake Michigan...well before sunup, hunting along with no lights, just diddling along in a trough, stock 8x11 coil, blue phones....Hit what sounded like a couple of pulltabs or a stainless steel hose clamp and scooped up this strange chain object....

By feel alone I knew it was not a dog collar, but I had no idea what it could be...So I tucked it up inside the scoop arm sleeve of my Underarmour long shirt (Poor Mans Wetsuit) that I used as my finds pouch and it settled itself nicely into the elbow area along with various pennies and dimes and whatnot and kept on hunting for something of value...

But, every time I tried to dig another target, lowered my arm, that damn thing would come tumbling out of my sleeve like a buttery snake and fall back into the Lake! It got frustrating trying to hunt with that heavy chain constantly dribbling out and dragging all my precious clad along with it!...:mad:.

I guess thats the point of this post...get a decent finds bag or something other than poking things up into a sleeve, and maybe carry a small light? Anyway, heres some pictures...2 1/2 oz of 666 brass toilet chain or some other damn amalgam...Clearly made in China of course...

Ashamed to say, I sold it to a jeweler for $150...I dont like to take advantage of people, but hell, I got to put gas in the car, and he seemed happy with the deal...said his toilet chain just broke that very morning and didnt want to leave the shop to go get a new one, plus hiring a plumber would cost him at least that amount...

Thinking back, He definitely needed a working toilet close by, on account of he pooped his pants when I agreed to the deal....What a dummy! I would have gladly sold it for $10 and installed it for him even! :laughing:

You're so full of it. LOL You make me laugh. 666 chain. HAHAHAH!!!

High Karat toilet chain for $150... *cracks up* You sure pulled one over on him!

More than 2 ounces of pure gold. That's freaking amazing, MudPuppy... Bet you were doing the happy dance for quite a while on that one. Did you ever actually sell it? I imagine in chain form, it would sell for quite a bit more than spot.

Cheers!

Ashamed to say, I sold it to a jeweler for $150...I dont like to take advantage of people, but hell, I got to put gas in the car, and he seemed happy with the deal...said his toilet chain just broke that very morning and didnt want to leave the shop to go get a new one, plus hiring a plumber would cost him at least that amount...Thinking back, He definitely needed a working toilet close by, on account of he pooped his pants when I agreed to the deal..:laughing:

666... the devil you say!
Stand on your head next time you look at these things, why don't you?
74.5g of 24k at today's melt....$3067.
That is a $6-7000+ piece of toilet chain you had there.
Got any cars for sale?

You're so full of it. LOL You make me laugh. 666 chain. HAHAHAH!!!

High Karat toilet chain for $150... *cracks up* You sure pulled one over on him!

More than 2 ounces of pure gold. That's freaking amazing, MudPuppy... Bet you were doing the happy dance for quite a while on that one. Did you ever actually sell it? I imagine in chain form, it would sell for quite a bit more than spot.

Cheers!

Right? I dont know how this guy stays in business! He buys all my finds and comes straight over to the house when I call him! Just shuts the doors and rushes right on over! Not only is he incontinent, but he drools a lot and has big crazy eyes...I sold him some sort of plumbing brass compression ring clearly marked 916 the other day for $10! Damn guy was ecstatic! WooHoo! 84 cents over the 916 stamped retail! Another cash positive find for the Pup!

I tell you boys, forget gold! The big money is in plumbing components! :laughing:

Last edited:
I imagine in chain form, it would sell for quite a bit more than spot.

Cheers!

I tragically lost this toilet chain in a boating accident that was well documented here a few years ago...Oh well, easy come, easy go...thats why I hunt clad and cans and just grind along working the volumn.....

FWIW, In Asia, these items are called 'ChukKam'.... a common form of wealth storage and transportation...folks over there buy them and sell them for about 10% spot give or take as needed...You just never see them in America, and henceforth, most jewelers have absolutely no idea what in the hell you have here...astronomical North American find...like I said, sounded like trash, just diddling along hunting for pennies,...cant find nothing sitting around in the house...

Ya just never know what the next swing will be...I guess thats why we are all here?...just a bunch of daydreamers who like to be outside and cant golf worth a damn?......

30.1 grams of 24k. Will make your behind pucker seeing a real dark gold chain hanging off a scoop:laughing: Was 24" long. Saw a similar wheat link exactly like this one on feebay for $2500. Not sure what they actually would sell for? I know I wont sell it for melt:lol:

Attachments

• SAM_3410.jpg
    SAM_3410.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 210
This one isn't marked but tests over 22k. I don't have 24k acid:shock::laughing:

Attachments

• SAM_3793_1.jpg
    SAM_3793_1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 217
Back
Top Bottom