Finding a Kennedy Half Dollar.

Just found a 1998-D Kennedy half 3 days ago at a park under the swings. Only Kennedy half I ever found that was shiny! It registered at 89 - 92 on my MXT All Pro

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpg
    IMG_3492.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 191
Just found a 1998-D Kennedy half 3 days ago at a park under the swings. Only Kennedy half I ever found that was shiny! It registered at 89 - 92 on my MXT All Pro

Nice finds! I've only ever found one shiny one, too. It was wrapped in tape and paper. Found it about 2 inches under. The tape and paper protected it, apparently.

I recently found a set of those scissor things, too. That was a fun find, rang up nice and strong. Took me about 3 seconds to figure it out, then I was like, "OHHHH... those'll go in my travel kit!" Which worked great for timing, because I was traveling at the time. Just cleaned them up, and dropped them into the travel bag...

I've found close to 10 Kennedy's (more possibly... at least 6-7 last year, for sure, and 2 already this year. Can't remember the first year, but it was at least 2.) They all ring up higher than the quarters in the same ground by 2-3 notches. If I'm finding quarters at 86-87, they'll ring up 89-90. If I'm finding quarterse at 88, they'll ring up 90-91. Never found any higher than 91. That's on the AT Pro.

I've found two IKE dollars, too. They both rang up a nice 98 and a 99. They were flat on the surface (within 1/2 or so, just under the detritus). Strong signals. Love to find them.

Skippy

I've managed to find 3 Kennedys & the shiny one was under shredded wood in the kids park. The other two were about 3" deep in sod, and pretty dark. On the other hand I've found 4 walking liberty half dollars over the years, the best being a 1934-S in almost uncirculated condition, then there is a 1935-S in almost as good condition, & a 43 & 45 all in great shape. Yeah, those little scissors are going in my shaving kit too! Found them on the Oregon coast last year but lost them until a few days ago. We're moving back to southern Oregon from the Boise, Idaho area. Can't wait.....people over there are much more friendly towards us detectorists.....lol

A couple of days ago I was hunting an extremely overgrown lot where an old house had been torn down. Weeds were up to 4 feet high and thick. Fallen limbs were everywhere. After 3 hours had found numerous deep smashed cans and brass plumbing fixtures. I was ready to quit.

But there were two huge old oak trees I hadn't reached yet. Forced my way to them and searched the bases. Almost all the way around the second and got t a solid 90 on my ATP. Nine inches down was my first ever Barber coin.

1906 O Barber half. I'm still excited over it.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
Congratz on the Kennedy. Love the live digs as opposed to so many "already dug" digs most people do. I've only found one half so far.

They're hard to catch. I miss more than I get. But I also have a whole bunch of "well look at that, two stacked quarters," Or "oh sweet, a coca-cola bottle lid."

My personal favorite, "That's AWESOME I caught an IKE Dollar on camera" only to discover when I was moving the camera around, I'd turned off recording.

I have great video of before and after I found it. LOL

Lots more videos of pennies and quarters than I do of live finds. It's the gold rings that are REALLY hard to catch. I've been lucky a few times... but 3 catches on film for 39 finds isn't exactly stellar. Most of mine are "I just popped the plug and look what I found" with the exception of a few where I was just bored, and really thought I'd found a pendant or something...

Back
Top Bottom