Opinions on AT Max?

Really looking for a decent multi purpose detector. Planning on giving my wife my T2 and keeping whatever new one I get for myself. I like the Garretts as well

From what I have seen, the Max is for relic hunting and large deep objects, Not for coins and jewelry. I would recommend a machine suited for C & J hunting

The AT MAX definitely is for coins and jewelry. Regardless, good luck to OP and make sure to put the time in needed to learn your new machine!

The Max is versatile and will find the goods.

Calabash has two narratives in life.
1. Bash Garrett as much as he can.
2. Bash Garrett some more.

He's never figured out that not everyone hunts the same kinds of places he hunts. That lightbulb burnt out a long time ago, never to come back on.

Whatever you choose op, have fun.

In a few months after you get your NOX kajunman your light will come on and you will see just how hideous the AT MAX IS... When you have nothing to compare to except the AT SERIES you wouldnt know the difference. :shock: You should take your max and tie it to a tree out in your back yard and let it die! :laughing:

You should take your max and tie it to a tree out in your back yard and let it die!

:rofl::rofl::popcorn2: shooooweeee that made me laugh :laughing:

That really is the bottom line for most of us. Constantly bashing A Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Minelab and others intimidates individuals to the point that they leave the forum.

Check out how many posts have been submitted about Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett, Notka and there are others in the past month? Remember, it's called "All About Detectors." That includes everyone!

And for the record, I went detecting to 2 snow hills this evening, and got skunked! Zero, nada! Nix! :laughing:

Attachments

• buddy skunked.jpg
    buddy skunked.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 172
lolol,...well,....

To each his own,..I'm on these forums about nightly,..heckofa place to get an education. Every now and then something gets posted that is instant classic,..and that was one of them lolol.

I had the Pro for a solid year, nice detector but At series wasn't for me. I'm headlong into the F series at the moment and plan to stay. I'm glad people still like them though,..mine sold for good $.

In Calabashes defense the title of the OP did ask for opinions though,...but nothing to me.....

Carry on gents,..I'll take some laughs with my education. Who says you cant have both. Best -Aaron

lolol,...well,....

In Calabashes defense the title of the OP did ask for opinions though,...but nothing to me.....
The question was "Looking to hear experiences with the AT Max. Been considering purchasing one."

And his (Calabash) response...."OK you just opened a can of worms" :laughing:Seriously? What's with that! This guy has no filters!

There is no such thing as a bad question, however there sure are a lot of bad answers.

Attachments

• bonk.gif
    bonk.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 170
lolol JE I'll leave the volley to you and calabash,..but I was only referring to the title of the thread. I learn from all of you guys whatever machine you swing. HH Brotha!

lolol JE I'll leave the volley to you and calabash,..but I was only referring to the title of the thread. I learn from all of you guys whatever machine you swing. HH Brotha!

Remember to keep the fun factor when getting involved with metal detecting. Good luck with whatever machine you get. Learn it well and you will get good results.

Attachments

• addon.gif
    addon.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 166
Just look at the crazy amount of pre-orders that the Nox has generated, or even the spec of the Kruzer, it tells you something about what spec level is now expected at that price point.
The MAX falls way short in spec for it's price and in reality it probably shouldn't now be in the same mid price bracket. They should drop the price and have it compete in the lower end where it has a chance of being top dog.

Johns the local Garrett fan boy so you got both sides of the coin. Its not hateful John he asked for opinions of the AT MAX and I think I'm a pretty capable detectorist and able to give my honest view of the machine. For people who only swing garrets I'm sure its just wonderful machine. Some us swing different brands and get to compare them to each other. If I had to guess you signed a agreement with Garrett and your forbidden to do that and to say anything negative about Garrett machines. Just a guess ......

Scanning through the detecting forums and seeing the degree of threads dedicated to the reports on Max vs the Nox's performance, it is very much showing that the Nox has stolen all the wind out of the max's sail. I know that the Max has its place but what it is showing is that the Nox also has that same place plus performance in whole bunch more areas. Twice as much more for the same buck.

In a few months after you get your NOX kajunman your light will come on and you will see just how hideous the AT MAX IS... When you have nothing to compare to except the AT SERIES you wouldnt know the difference. :shock: You should take your max and tie it to a tree out in your back yard and let it die! :laughing:

BUT, I do have other detectors to compare to. The list that you see in my sig does not represent my arsenal. I also use my buddies detectors as well. One that could buy 3 AT Max detectors.

Like you I have preferences for different types of hunting. UNLIKE you I don't feel the need to continually bash another brand. It doesn't do the hobby or a future detectorist any good. You need a new bulb.

That really is the bottom line for most of us. Constantly bashing A Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Minelab and others intimidates individuals to the point that they leave the forum.

Check out how many posts have been submitted about Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett, Notka and there are others in the past month? Remember, it's called "All About Detectors." That includes everyone!

And for the record, I went detecting to 2 snow hills this evening, and got skunked! Zero, nada! Nix! :laughing:

Well darn, you shoulda bought a Deus or a Nox, or a Multi Kruzer or an Impact. Maybe a V3I or an F75. IF you had one of those you're guaranteed to find something. Right ? All these 5 years I've been detecting I have long thought something had to be under the coil for the detector to find it. PFFFFFT. Wrong. It's the detector. :shock:

Well I've had all of Garrett's land detectors. The ATPro has better tones than the ATMax. Max is deeper and is wireless. I do like the max and found some really deep targets with it.. the iron audio overrides all other tones so it's unusable in my opinion. Yes there are better choices in the price range. Calabash digger speaks his mind and is passionate about the hobby. He is not anti Garrett or pro anything unless it works.. that is how most all of us are.. pro what really works.. people's likes and dislikes are all different. I do not like the heavy weight of the some units, love the minelab tones and hate the ATMax iron audio. F75 gave me headaches from the banging tones.. did I find deep targets or targets in the trash or iron? Yes but the trade off is not as much fun using a certain detector.. I'm not brand loyal at all, but let me say the competition out there today is lopsided.. watch some videos. Actually watch Calabash digger videos. No frills no bullcrap videos. And you can decide what floats your boat afterwards..

The question shouldnt be what is wrong with them , but what is right with them. The Garrett AT series are pretty good detectors for what they are. They are easy , reliable , and do what they are supposed to , for years they were hard to beat in the mid level price range.....but its not hard to see that they are now greatly outclassed and out performed by a few new options in the same price bracket. I anticipated the release of the MAX like a kid waiting for christmas but once I seen it was just an AT pro with a few additions I was extremely disappointed. These new offerings from Makro and Minelab.....likely other manufacturers soon , in the same price bracket , look like they have successfully dethroned the AT series as the best value for the money , at that price I dont know why anybody would even consider them anymore unless there was a dramatic reduction in price. And thats what Minelab meant by " obsolete ". They are not a bad buy , just not a smart one. Not much is right with them anymore at that price. They would however make a killer entry level starter machine if the price was around $299.00 :lol:

Calabash has two narratives in life.
1. Bash Garrett as much as he can.
2. Bash Garrett some more.

He's never figured out that not everyone hunts the same kinds of places he hunts. That lightbulb burnt out a long time ago, never to come back on.

Just look at the crazy amount of pre-orders that the Nox has generated, or even the spec of the Kruzer, it tells you something about what spec level is now expected at that price point.
The MAX falls way short in spec for it's price and in reality it probably shouldn't now be in the same mid price bracket. They should drop the price and have it compete in the lower end where it has a chance of being top dog.

They may have to soon,...they've had a great run with that AT series for quite a few years now.,....and it still has lots of fans. But the money $$ they are use to seeing coming in from that no doubt is less,..really making the bottom line look different. It's only gonna get worse over the next year or so as other companies come out with their water rig. However time will tell,..I guess the dealers would actually know more about whats hot than anybody.

Back
Top Bottom