Info wanted on older White's models

mmbs

Hi,
I'm new to the hobby and am looking to interest my 15 year old son in some outdoor activity. I'd like to purchase a detector on ebay, most likely a White's. We live in Mass. and will propably use it in woods, fields, and occassionally the beach (in that order).
I'd like to keep the cost under $100.00, which I realize means an older version of something. Currently I'm looking at:
4900D Coinmaster
5900D Coinmaster
5000D Coinmaster
6000D
6000D Series 2
6000Di Series 3
Eagle
These all seem to fall into the right price range. I really don't know the difference or which might be newer technology.
Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

This is not to hard. The lower the number the less featured and often less deep the machine. Then see if D was added to the number. So a 5000 would not be as good a buy as a 5000D (A Di would be better than a D if any of those come up).
Don't always trust what they say on the ad. If its got a gold shaft its older than a silver shaft. For the control box hammered shiney blue means older than flat almost gey/blue.
With the 6000 models. 6000 is really old (gold shaft, hammered blue box). Series 2 went to the silver shaft with flat blue control box and added a depth meter. There was a Series 2 Di. This added type of metal indication to the depth meter. Series 3 Di moved the I.D. meter off the control box and placed it on the end of the handgrip so it was easier to see.
The Eagle (which developed into the XLT in time) offers the nearest to modern detector performance (the rest are rather out of date). It has a learning curve but does let you grow with the machine as skill develops. Trouble is, as far as I know, if its an old Eagle, with the vertical meter if the LCD fails you can't get it replaced. If its a newer Silver Eagle with the wide meter no problem.
You only list Whites. There are some bargains to be had in other brands like Tesoro and don't miss out on the Whites Classics (higher number the better again). Good weight balance and very reliable.

Thanks Brian

Thanks for the information, it confirms what I expected the case to be. I am still wondering about the difference between a Coinmaster model and the 5000 and 6000 series. I have no problem going with an older model if it gives me more bang for the buck. My concern in purchasing a newer, less expensive model is that it might be a bit too close to the "toy" range and quickly lead to frustration and disinterest.
Thanks again,
Michael

One thing I should have mentioned batteries/weight. Some older Whites used 16 AA's, later dropped to 14. Still a lot. In the U.K. rechargables came as standard I think you got a large white and a small blue (or the other way round). Anyway 12 and 9 volts. These rechargables will have passed away by now.
The handle on the detectors was rather hard and not to well positioned until they went to the 6000 series 3 and the Eagle.
Early machines lacked depth in discriminate so you would detect in all metal and then switch to discrimination to check the target. Bit of a pain.
By the time the Series 2 and 3 came out non motion was being replaced by motion (most modern machines are motion and easier to use). Motion was not that good then. Fast sweep speed was needed. So they kept the old non-motion discrimination and added a switch so motion discrim. could be used if wanted. So with ground balance etc you end up with a big box with lots of knobs and switches.
Don't let me put you off but an old Classic or Tesoro will be well balanced, a fraction of the weight, use less power and almost switch on and go and will do as well or better on many sites.

Back
Top Bottom