Mo. State Park Permit

dirtmover

Getting Permit is free but big limits on usage:

Permittee can operate a metal detector ONLY on designated beaches in the following state parks:
Crowder State Park
Cuivre River State Park
Finger Lakes State Park
Lake of the Ozarks State Park
Lake Wappapello State Park
Lewis and Clark State Park
Long Branch State Park
Pomme de Terre State Park
St Joe State Park
Stockton State Park
Trail of Tears State Park
Harry S Truman State Park
Wakonda State Park
Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site

Metal detectors may be used from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Memorial Day to Labor Day; after Labor Day to Memorial Day, during daylight hours. EXCEPTION: The hours for use Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site are 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Metal detectors may be used to the shoreline and in the water adjacent to the specified beaches of the
above named parks.
Any tool used for digging or probing cannot exceed 12" in length and 3" in width. Suction dredges may
not be used.
Permittee shall have this permit in his/her possession at all times while using a metal detector.
This permit is non-transferable.
Contact the park superintendent if a historic, archaeological or item valued at $10 or more is found.

The park superintendent shall have authority to void a permit for failure to comply with these restrictions.

did you get that, only 2 hr daily window :no:

Are you sure?

Are you sure about that? I have a link on a thread that states what you said, but not the time limits! Where did you get this from?

HH Michael

He is right I had a permit last year and it said the same hours and restrictions on it also .

Harold

What can we do?

What can we do to change some of these laws? I know the conservation department probably has an agenda against us, but I think we should try to get some support from the legislators. Who is with me?

HH Michael

What can we do to change some of these laws? I know the conservation department probably has an agenda against us, but I think we should try to get some support from the legislators. Who is with me?

HH Michael

This is a direct quote from the conservation department, which is a bummer. There is a fishing lake on MDC land where I have found twenty coins just eyeballing after an "over the bank" flood with some of the sandy soil washed away.

Anyway, here is that quote:

"Due to cultural concerns and federal regulations, we do not allow recreational metal detecting on conservation department properties. In cooperation with area managers, a special permit may be issued to allow metal detecting to recover a lost personal item on a specific portion of an area."

Doug

So it's a case of up early to hunt in the summer, or wait until after Labor Day and hunt all day.

Got a link as to where to apply for a permit? I'm gonna be in teh Stockton Lake area after Labor Day.

Federal?!

This is a direct quote from the conservation department, which is a bummer. There is a fishing lake on MDC land where I have found twenty coins just eyeballing after an "over the bank" flood with some of the sandy soil washed away.

Anyway, here is that quote:

"Due to cultural concerns and federal regulations, we do not allow recreational metal detecting on conservation department properties. In cooperation with area managers, a special permit may be issued to allow metal detecting to recover a lost personal item on a specific portion of an area."

Doug

Federal?! I thought the conservation department was state! That does not make sense to me.

HH Michael

It doesn't make much sense to me either. The Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 very gererally talks about "public land". Don't know???

Getting Permit is free but big limits on usage:

Permittee can operate a metal detector ONLY on designated beaches in the following state parks:
Crowder State Park
Cuivre River State Park
Finger Lakes State Park
Lake of the Ozarks State Park
Lake Wappapello State Park
Lewis and Clark State Park
Long Branch State Park
Pomme de Terre State Park
St Joe State Park
Stockton State Park
Trail of Tears State Park
Harry S Truman State Park
Wakonda State Park
Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site

Metal detectors may be used from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Memorial Day to Labor Day; after Labor Day to Memorial Day, during daylight hours. EXCEPTION: The hours for use Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site are 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Metal detectors may be used to the shoreline and in the water adjacent to the specified beaches of the
above named parks.
Any tool used for digging or probing cannot exceed 12" in length and 3" in width. Suction dredges may
not be used.
Permittee shall have this permit in his/her possession at all times while using a metal detector.
This permit is non-transferable.
Contact the park superintendent if a historic, archaeological or item valued at $10 or more is found.

The park superintendent shall have authority to void a permit for failure to comply with these restrictions.

did you get that, only 2 hr daily window :no:

But... We have 9 months a year that we can md during "daylight hours". The weather here in Missouri is pretty fair for a lot of those months. And unpredictable the other 3 or 4. So don't let the hours get into your head and yo from coming over for some fun. The beaches don't fill up until after 9 am so you have lots of room. Monday morning after a warm weekend it peaceful and you get all of the lost goodies from the days before.

Happy hunting all.

Don't expect much even if you go daily. Besides lots of others that hunt the beaches, most of the visitors of these beaches aren't losing much more than a little clad and trash.

I just went through the permit process and got mine. YEA! Off to the lake only to find the beach and all other facilities closed due to government shutdown. :mad:

These new rules for Missouri are hard to swallow. In years past you could go to the lake and hunt the beaches and off to the camping areas in the off season to find pocket knives and coins and camping items lost or left behind. Lots of fun on a nice winters day.

Rumor has it that some guys were caught at Stockton Lake digging holes with a backhoe and left the holes open. Others were caught at the same site with their detectors later and had them confiscated and were fined for the damage that may have been done by others. SO,, the rules got tighter.

BuznWG

Wouldn't want us disturbing the meth labs or pot farms that clutter the hillsides!... Before I moved here to Nebraska for work I did alot of trapping and hunting around Stockton, wasn't into md'ing yet, but I did see alot of illegal type activities. those things seem to go unnoticed while recreational things such and md'ing and trapping or just hiking seem to be well enforced.
I dont know how many times i was stopped or followed while running my trap line. I'd be afraid to see what people would do if you were detecting. Before leaving MO i was informed by a conservation officer that it was illegal for me to dig for fishing worms near some old dead logs on corp land near Stockton lake on the Turnback creek area. I guess its destructive?? Would that rule out digging for a signal as well?

Back
Top Bottom