Hammered Silver 1700's Help!

rcptuna

Elite Member
A good friend was thrilled with this recent find found along an old
New England river. I've heard of pieces of eight, but this appears to be 1/4 and in incredible condition. I am hoping for an ID on this coin, so we can put a date range on it and determine its origins. You guys have never let me down! Happy hunting! Remember just when you've dug enough pull tabs and shotgun shells, that your questioning what the hell your doing there, a little piece of history may pop up and reward you!
I tried several times to upload image of back of coin and I keep getting error messages. I will try again later tonight. Consider it an ID handicap lol!

Thanks RCP

Attachments

• IMG_7406.jpg
    IMG_7406.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Really nice Spanish silver! Wish I knew more on the subject, im sure someone will ID that pretty quickly though. Congrats!

Finally got the other side uploaded! Looking for an identification , not an authentication! I don't remember there being such a peanut gallery on here! Lol

Finally got the other side uploaded! Looking for an identification , not an authentication! I don't remember there being such a peanut gallery on here! Lol

That's not a way to go about asking for help either, these are experienced detectorists your brushing off...Doug digs hammered silvers like we do zinc pennies :laughing:

While it's not hammered, it is a piece of a milled Spanish Reale. Looks like Philip V maybe. A picture of the thickness should help, but from the little I can see of the edge, it looks like maybe a 1/4 of a 2 Reales.

Attachments

• 1722_2_reales_Philip5_f.jpg
    1722_2_reales_Philip5_f.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 266
That's not a way to go about asking for help either, these are experienced detectorists your brushing off...Doug digs hammered silvers like we do zinc pennies :laughing:

Thank you for your comment.

On this silver coin there is the clear evidence of high spot wear, nose area, around the 11 and 'A' of Carlos which is what I expect to see on a coin thats been in circulation for a good number of years.

Last edited:
While it's not hammered, it is a piece of Spanish Reale. Looks like Philip V maybe. A picture of the thickness should help, but from the little I can see of the edge, it looks like maybe a 1/4 of a 2 Reales.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I will use this info has a starting point. Much appreciated! Matching up some of the details, I think you may have nailed it!

Thank you for your comment.

On this silver coin there is the clear evidence of high spot wear, nose area, around the 11 and 'A' of Carlos which is what I expect to see on a coin thats been in circulation for a good number of years.

Still no help with an I'd? Yes I've dug coins that look weathered and tarnished. Sometimes coins are lost early on without much wear or circulation. Sometimes they are found in sandy soil with good drainage. In which case silver comes out fantastic! Thanks again for your helpful input!

While it's not hammered, it is a piece of a milled Spanish Reale. Looks like Philip V maybe. A picture of the thickness should help, but from the little I can see of the edge, it looks like maybe a 1/4 of a 2 Reales.

I'm surprised he didnt tell you that your wrong :laughing: Looks like you nailed it though, nice ID!

Back
Top Bottom