Apprehended a masked home invader, now what?

amc rulz

Forum Supporter
Bandit robbing the berry patch. Trouble is, they just keep coming! Last time, I caught one a nite for a week until I gave up.

Attachments

• IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 497
I can't blame them. :D

Our local strawberries are just getting done for the season. The strawberries start coming in right around my B-Day and it's one of my favorite fruits so it's always one of my favorite times of the year.

Need a large breed dog, that's serious about the task. Those can do some real damage if they need to, and rabies isn't the only disease they carry. They have a strong immune system, and very resistant to infections. Small scratch or bite, can be expensive at the vets office. ObamaCare should have included pets, crazy expensive these days.

A dog is out of the question, I have free-range hens and birds and dogs don't mix. I have enough trouble keeping the strays and neighbors dogs out.

Spray the perimeter of the patch with ammonia, or you can soak a few cotton balls with it and place them around it. They hate it and will stay away. I had issues with deer and rabbits in my garden as well as the raccoons getting into the strawberries and garbage. I tried the repellents at the home stores but they didn't work. Then an old timer told me to use ammonia and I haven't had a problem since. Raccoons have a really good memory so once they get a whiff of the ammonia they usually won't come back. Works on ground hogs too. Good luck!

Spray the perimeter of the patch with ammonia, or you can soak a few cotton balls with it and place them around it. They hate it and will stay away. I had issues with deer and rabbits in my garden as well as the raccoons getting into the strawberries and garbage. I tried the repellents at the home stores but they didn't work. Then an old timer told me to use ammonia and I haven't had a problem since. Raccoons have a really good memory so once they get a whiff of the ammonia they usually won't come back. Works on ground hogs too. Good luck!
Thanks bobda for that great advise, I will try it!

Your best bet for getting rid of raccoons is through appropriate fencing. Since they are adept climbers (and diggers), ordinary fencing is not enough. To make it raccoon proof, you’ll need to add a strand or two of electric fencing at least 8 inches from the ground and 6 to 8 inches out from the fence. You could also bury the fencing at least 6 inches deep and a foot out to prevent digging. As an alternative, you can simply place a strand or two of electric fence around your garden’s perimeter, keeping the bottom strand within 6 inches of the ground. This can easily be turned on at night and left off during the day.

If you trap them and you end up releasing them, make sure it is at least three miles away. Check with state laws before trapping and releasing in other locations.

Raccoons are crafty boogers. Darned little masked bandits....

Had 3 babies a few weeks back on the other side of the chainlink fence next to my garden. I heard something rustling in the branches and one of them just sat on the other side staring at me not 2 feet between us. I'm hoping they know better than to jump the fence. My chow mix is back there and she got about 4 of them last year. 2 years ago, had 2 of them get into my trash can right after garbage day. It was 90+ that week. Took out the trash that 1st night and they were about medium rare. Couple days later in those temps I could barely even get with 20 feet of the cans without gagging. Never so happy to see the trash man come by the following week. Put the cans back and on my way to work the following morning I heard something moving in them again. Kicked the can over and out comes another one. The other one I had to flip the can completely over to get it out. After that I dumped a bunch of bleach in each can and it seemed to deter them for awhile.

You just need to train them better. If they see Jeannie thru the kitchen window they will come scratch on the backdoor and beg food. If they see me, well, it's not such a friendly reaction.

picture.php

My neighbor just texted me to tell me that they have been besieged by them, and asked if I would come over and give several of them a third eye because they're avoiding her traps.

I haven't seen a single one around my place. They must know better than to show themselves.

My neighbor just texted me to tell me that they have been besieged by them, and asked if I would come over and give several of them a third eye because they're avoiding her traps.

I haven't seen a single one around my place. They must know better than to show themselves.

They have just learned to blend in, to hunt without being seen. Took some lessons from a few detectorist who will remain nameless.

BCD

Pretty Kitty

I caught this Pretty Kitty in our yard. She is free to a good home. Just come and get her, you can have the trap too!.......RK

Attachments

• prettykitty.jpg
    prettykitty.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 231
Back
Top Bottom