1700 's British coin?

Dan B.

Elite Member
I was invited out today to metal detect with AirmetTango on one of his permissions. I came across this coin please help me identify. Would greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_143715.jpg
    IMG_20180405_143715.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20180405_144037.jpg
    IMG_20180405_144037.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 326
I was invited out today to metal detect with AirmetTango on one of his permissions. I came across this coin please help me identify. Would greatly appreciate.

It is the size of a U.S. Quarter.

Last edited:
THAT :funnyup: is actually the one I was looking for but couldn't find fast enough... pesky customers (I'm at work) lol

yea...it's just a little crispy. You can see the symbol dead center on the back

what I find different are the crosses on the edge on the reverse. They look more straight than the one I posted. Very close, but not the same coin.

yea...it's just a little crispy. You can see the symbol dead center on the back

Yes it is quite crispy Farm field chemicals do wonders on copper. Here is another picture of the reverse side in which I did a color contrast to the photo off of my phone. And it weighs in at 5 grams. And a quarter will cover the coin same size thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180406_110838.jpg
    IMG_20180406_110838.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 250
what I find different are the crosses on the edge on the reverse. They look more straight than the one I posted. Very close, but not the same coin.

I think it’s a match - I was confused at first too, not just looking at the crosses on the edge, but also the prominent “S” of the lion’s tail didn’t seem positioned right. But it’s just that the photo Dan posted of the obverse on the found coin is upside-down. Turn the photo of the “fresh” coin over, and it’s a match:

Attachments

• 05FCBEED-6FFE-4354-9807-078D071AC549.jpg
    05FCBEED-6FFE-4354-9807-078D071AC549.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 224
Awesome find, Dan! It sure was a fun hunt Thursday, and it was great to have you out there and hunting together. I don’t think there’s much doubt you’ve got a Spanish copper maravedis coin from the 1770s or 1780s! Just a question of exact date and denomination - I wonder if a little more clean up on the front might get either a piece of the date, or reveal either the 1, 2, 4, or 8 from the front neck area of the bust.

Can’t wait to see what we might find from the site on Sunday - except you’re only allowed to bring your pinpointer (without batteries) and a plastic kid’s sand shovel ;) :laughing:

THAT :funnyup: is actually the one I was looking for but couldn't find fast enough... pesky customers (I'm at work) lol

Looks kinda like this?!?!?!
https://goo.gl/images/Tf8b8S

The thing I see at his nose is a D * G

Similar to this, but not a match

80414845.jpg

Edit here it is...Closer anyway

obverse-jpg.4

reverse-jpg.5

Carolus Iii D.g.hisp.rex 1773 (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/carolus-iii-d-g-hisp-rex-1773.452/)

I think it’s a match - I was confused at first too, not just looking at the crosses on the edge, but also the prominent “S” of the lion’s tail didn’t seem positioned right. But it’s just that the photo Dan posted of the obverse on the found coin is upside-down. Turn the photo of the “fresh” coin over, and it’s a match:

Thanks to all for your help. I did manage to find a small 4 on the front of the coin. And with all your help I tracked it down to this
http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_detail_pesetas.php?cdb=L050004

Back
Top Bottom